Equivalent average

So I’ve been looking on Stobarts website (yes I’m desperate) and they’re looking for drivers in my area. Now the hourly rate looks promising £11.60-£12.65 per hour but it says equivalent average. What does that mean?

I have a high degree of scepticism about them because of all the negativity I’ve read on here and I was talking to a colleague who tells me he spoke to them about a C&E job a couple of years ago and the hourly pay was only £7.20 or minimum wage basically. Now I’ve heard Stobarts are one of the bigger firms responsible for driving down wages in the industry but surely they don’t pay that poorly?

Equivalent average - add meal allowance, fuel bonus, turning up bonus etc

In other words, wait till you take a days holiday and they pay you just the original hourly rate.

right so stobarts work out their averages by say you did

55 hours at £8.68 which is £477.7
plus £15 x 5 for meal allowance = £75 tax free
plus nightsout £22.5 x 4 = £90 tax free
so grand total = £642.7 before tax divided by 55 = £11.67 per hour

…So this very “average” looking hourly rate by the end figure actually assumes you’ll be doing Eurotramping, and pulling some tax dodge if you’re not out of the country most of the time?

Thanks guys. Now I know why everybody hates them and why I won’t consider working for them ever again.

It is the only place I’ve ever applied to work, and then withdrawn my application when they asked me to go in on an assessment, and I casually asked what the hourly rate for this actual job I was applying for was… Got told less than nine quid per hour, at which point I realized I’d been taken in by THIS advert, and pulled the plug - before wasting any of my valuable time on attending an assessment when I already hold a C+E licence. :unamused:

Makes you wonder why they earn more after 12 month, I mean a few pennies more.

Is that due to the normal pay rise after the minium wage gets raised or do they pay bonuses now, if you stay longer than a few months■■?

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji849]

Wouldn’t be for me but I have a couple of mates on there.
One has been on 20 yrs, so it can’t be all bad.
What they do tell me is they take the ■■■■ out of the spineless and brainwashed, who let them do so, but treat others including them, differently and fairly.
They must like it for the amount of time they’ve been there.
As I said not for me, but give it a go mate.

It’s not great, but without trying to defend them they aren’t the only company offering rates like that and some are even worse.

With £15 a day meal allowance you can add a £1 an hour on the hourly rates (or add a little more the fewer hours you work). They’ve got a 32p pay rise within the next few weeks, so that will take it up to £10 and the meal allowance is tax free so that isn’t taxed like a £10 flat rate would be. I’m not totally sure whether you get the meal allowance on holiday though, I’ve heard they’re supposed to average out your last x weeks pay and pay you that. If you tramp 4 nights you’ll be taking home £600, which again isn’t great but it’s a start especially if you’re new.

I’m at Stobarts and to be honest I don’t see it as a long term job, but if you want the experience or you just like knowing you’ll earn x amount a week without relying on agencies it might be worth a try.

LOS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk