Stereotypes

I just want to raise a rather upsetting subject; well it is to me as I’m the one being accused of being a murderer because I am a truck driver. This is taking place on another forum and I have asked the person doing it to stop as its bang out of order to say the least.
His excuse for continually saying it is because its “just humour”, just as some may refer to male hairdressers as being gay, it’s just being stereotypical of truck drivers.
Is this the case in the UK at the moment? Are truck driver typically referred to as being murderers?
I’ve contacted the forum provider (Network54) in a vain hope of getting the board moderator a slap on the wrist, who incidentally strongly believes in free speech!

Has such a label been placed on any of you in the UK? Is this really how we are thought of in the UK?

sounds a bit like defamation of character which is a suable offence

well ive been called some things in my time… but never a murderer… for being a lorry driver ■■?. was the guy on acid… you sure he said murderer?..phew, bit over the top that s/mack…

if the authorities were to see it and leagal actio taken you would have a case for lible, defenation of character the person could be done by the authorities for wasting police or law enforcment time simple mention this if it doesnt stop
the moderator is wrong in my opinion and should take action against this person

apart from getting the guy that called you this, i would get the moderator done as well. we on this site all believe in free speech, but you have a line and you need to know when not to cross it.apart from that delete it from your pc and stick with the best uk web for truckers. you’ll have a laugh and the people on here can help with most problems. :wink:

Truck driver - murderer…what’s the link, or is this nutcase just a member of ‘The Anti Roadkill Burger Society’ ?

Jules

Wheres the forum ?. This looks like it could do with some points making.

as the others have already said i cant see the connection between driving a truck and being a murderer. its just ridiculous. whats the story or is it a bit to sensitive to be posted? ill stand up as a trucker on any forum. i also have a very open sense of humour but wouldnt stand for that.

I’ve heard this connection a few times before and believe it stems from the fact that a few of Britain’s more notorious murderers happened to be, or had been, truck drivers. I first heard it a couple of years or so ago when there were two or three high profile murder trials, in a short period of time, in which the accused was a truck driver.

I also remember at the time there was a spoof version of the driver’s hours regs doing the rounds, along the lines of maximum number of murders allowed before a 45 minute break etc.

The guy who founded the FBi’s criminal profiling unit, John Douglas, says certain job types attract certain personality types & solitary night work such as truck driving is attractive to some serial killers.

alan:
The guy who founded the FBi’s criminal profiling unit, John Douglas, says certain job types attract certain personality types & solitary night work such as truck driving is attractive to some serial killers.

Would I be classed as a Serial Killer if I killed them 3 flaming annoying characters

Snap, Crackle and Pop :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Even the Hunny Monster gets me mad :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

alan:

Thats why it’s always better to move next to a house full of party animals instead of the “nice quiet man who keeps himself to himself”. :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
I also remember at the time there was a spoof version of the driver’s hours regs doing the rounds, along the lines of maximum number of murders allowed before a 45 minute break etc.

I’ve had these sort of remarks although thankfully by a good friend and were made and received in good humour. I think there was a character or storyline in Viz which perpetuated this nonsense. Having said that, if a complete stranger started making those remarks about me in public wouldn’t be at all happy.

Yep you are right Qhunter, you’ve reminded me, there was a cartoon strip in Viz that had this theme.

Qhunter:

Coffeeholic:

I’ve had these sort of remarks although thankfully by a good friend and were made and received in good humour. I think there was a character or storyline in Viz which perpetuated this nonsense. Having said that, if a complete stranger started making those remarks about me in public wouldn’t be at all happy.

If they started making the remarks to me I’d tell them: “Just remember your talking to someone whome you refer to as a murderer/serial killer. Would you really want to upset me too much if that’s your opinion?” (Murdered a curry last night :smiley: ).

Thanks for your input; I was beginning to think that I was becoming overly sensitive.

Network24 has now removed the statement in question at my request, but this was not an isolated incident (see link to thread started by site owner). I had to go back a bit in time to find this as I have very little to say on the board in question due to the amount of abuse on it, but some “innocents” do still post on the board and ask for help/advise which I am happy to give.

I agree with the line of thought highlighted by “Viz” comic, and I remember something about Peter Sutcliff being a truck driver at some point which would add fuel to the fire.

The character name of George who believes he has a sense of humour on the AWN Britboard delivered his slanderous remark about me to a third person. If it was too my face by someone whom I know then I would believe there was no ill intent, but I wasn’t even involved in the thread, nor have I been involved in hardly any on that board for a long time.

But as said it has been removed, I hope that the site owner has received a slap on the wrist from the providers, if this happens again… lets wait and see shall we.

PS

slan·der
n.
Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person’s reputation.

li·bel
n.

A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person’s reputation. The Act of presenting such material to the public.

If acting as a Moderator you believe that the posts are damaging to the target’s reputation, meaning that they will not be able to continue to function professionally as a result of the statement, you should probably remove them.

If you are the one being attacked, you will need to provide evidence that the statements have damaged your effectiveness professionally before you can win in court.

In other words, if someone is just mad at being called names, they need to get over it. If it’s costing them money, they may have some recourse, but they have to be ready to prove it.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Take as much salt as you want.

you should ask him to stand in front of your truck so you can practice what HE preaches :wink:

I seem to remember Sutcliffe drove a Transconti!

Mal.

jon boy 100:
you should ask him to stand in front of your truck so you can practice what HE preaches :wink:

Actually I would prefer to sit him down and educate him as to what could cost him his home, car and everything that is precious to him by believing he can hide behind a faceless keyboard and throw insults in a vain attempt to boost his own pathetic low esteem :confused:

Mal:
I seem to remember Sutcliffe drove a Transconti!

Mal.

I always will remember that Mal, my mate had one exactly the same colour scheme. He got some stick over that.

Another lad got so worried he shaved his beard off and stopped driving for a while!

24 beers in a crate and 24 hours in a day, That is no co-incidence. :sunglasses: