My last post

Since returning to driving after a break of owning my own business I joined this forum for info and tips on how the modern truck world works.

I have to admit I have learned some handy tips and had a few laughs but the terrible attitude of a lot of people now saddens and sometimes enrages me.

When I was a wet behind the ears newbie in 1982 other drivers WERE helpful. I don’t remember anyone pushing in in queues. I don’t remember all this overtaking stranding and the lack of comaraderie.

Of course I am going to get accused of rose tinted memory. A truck driver was considered a “knight of the Road”. Now we are considered bullies.

Losing jobs to foreigners. Yep it will happen as accountants control the companies and profit is God BUT with the attitude of some drivers on here and if its indicative of the masses I wouldn’t let them drive my grandsons scooter.

Do a good job, be a bit flexible and have a bit of pride. Essential qualities of a good driver.

I wish you all well but I can’t be ar$ed with the negativity.

I’m out

Shut the door on your way out please. :smiley:

I can see his point with that reply! :unamused:

Cool story…

See ya.

midlifetrucker:
Since returning to driving after a break of owning my own business I joined this forum for info and tips on how the modern truck world works.

I have to admit I have learned some handy tips and had a few laughs but the terrible attitude of a lot of people now saddens and sometimes enrages me.

When I was a wet behind the ears newbie in 1982 other drivers WERE helpful. I don’t remember anyone pushing in in queues. I don’t remember all this overtaking stranding and the lack of comaraderie.

Of course I am going to get accused of rose tinted memory. A truck driver was considered a “knight of the Road”. Now we are considered bullies.

Losing jobs to foreigners. Yep it will happen as accountants control the companies and profit is God BUT with the attitude of some drivers on here and if its indicative of the masses I wouldn’t let them drive my grandsons scooter.

Do a good job, be a bit flexible and have a bit of pride. Essential qualities of a good driver.

I’m out

Everything you said is very true ,just look at the comments after you posted this,well said.

midlifetrucker:

I’m out

I agree with what you say, but why would it stop you posting on here specifically, I could understand it if you said you were jacking in driving because all the ■■■■ heads on the road had got to you, but even if you do that it’s one less of the proper drivers left, and the dicks are left to it.
How I deal with the situation is to try and raise above them, and laugh at their ignorance and naievity, both on the road and on here, by trying not to emulate their actions and opinions and ending up being one myself. That’s assuming that I am not one of the ones you won’t lend your boy’s scooter to, but if it’s your last post I will never know :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

midlifetrucker:

I’m out

Whilst I agree with your sentiment and indeed your comments, the first replies were only to be expected and that is why it is as it is.

As well as the attributes you require, it is also not too much to expect an employer to treat their staff accordingly and pay a fair rate for the effort required as well as being morally and ethically decent.

Accountants and lawyers do have all the power now so I’m afraid to say you will reap what you sow. Market forces have nothing to with it - greed and need are now the driving forces in the downward spiral of social well being for almost everyone.

Minimum wages and benefits will only ever command minimum effort and loyalty and the ‘knob’ drivers are the ones that will prevail. It is no ones fault other than those that desire everything that money and power bring and those willing to trample on others to gain it.

And for those reasons I can’t get out soon enough! :wink:

Ouch…

I agree

bobbya:

midlifetrucker:

I’m out

Everything you said is very true ,just look at the comments after you posted this,well said.

+1

midlifetrucker:
I’m out.

Posted at 1.09pm and he’s still online as I post this.

midlifetrucker:

I’m out

well i’ll cheer you up with a true story of some camaraderie

last year i was on my way back up north from S’hampton on the A34 and i got pulled by the police because my reversing lights where stuck on ,he pulled me into a shell garage to point this out and try to fix it ,being somewhat of a newbie myself i was a bit nervous as he took all my charts and set about looking for infractions while i attempted to fix my lights .A driver on his break had noticed me being pulled in and came across to see what the matter was ,i explained and he said just pull the bulbs which we did, with the aid of his tool kit(because being a newbie i didn’t have any screwdrivers) .All was fixed and he then started to chat to the copper who turned out to be quite a pleasant chap .Lesson learned from a friendly old school trucker is always carry some basic tools ,always be nice to coppers and always offer to help a fellow trucker .
lessons that have been passed on and learned by a new trucker so all is not lost :slight_smile:

Well there you go midlifetrucker - al si thi :unamused: bet you’re reading this eh :sunglasses:

You’ll post on here again - cus you have to :laughing:

ive been helped out by other drivers on numerous occasions without even asking like when reversing in tight places and my first day I couldn’t get the tailift to work and another driver seen this and came over and got it working so there still is a lot of decent people around you just need to remember that there is some ■■■■■■■■■ around unfortunately but there always has been and there always will be.

midlifetrucker i have felt the same about this site for ages now and at times i have thought thats it, but i give it a week or so then sign back in and there is usually a topic that may interest me, however it doesnt take long for the interest to drop, it really is a pity that there are so many arses on here… there is no wonder why joe public think we are scum when those amongst us think we are…

tbh i do think i will be following you and leaving this site for good…

jay0:
ive been helped out by other drivers on numerous occasions without even asking like when reversing in tight places and my first day I couldn’t get the tailift to work and another driver seen this and came over and got it working so there still is a lot of decent people around you just need to remember that there is some [zb] around unfortunately but there always has been and there always will be.

Was the old nib of a biro pen into it trick was it?

dle1uk:
midlifetrucker i have felt the same about this site for ages now and at times i have thought thats it, but i give it a week or so then sign back in and there is usually a topic that may interest me, however it doesnt take long for the interest to drop, it really is a pity that there are so many arses on here… there is no wonder why joe public think we are scum when those amongst us think we are…

tbh i do think i will be following you and leaving this site for good…

I don’t post on here as much for the same reason , there is good info to be had but the minority as always spoil it for everyone else , I won’t be going but i don’t visit as much as i used to

midlifetrucker:

And its your last post because of this ? WOW !!

DAF95XF:

jay0:
ive been helped out by other drivers on numerous occasions without even asking like when reversing in tight places and my first day I couldn’t get the tailift to work and another driver seen this and came over and got it working so there still is a lot of decent people around you just need to remember that there is some [zb] around unfortunately but there always has been and there always will be.

Was the old nib of a biro pen into it trick was it?

no ive never heard of that one, he said it was just a bit tempermental and required a bit of persistence but I suppose it was my first day so things were bound to go wrong.

I treat it like a truck stop or the boozer ,you here some crap ,you here some good stuff and occasionally it all kicks off and then i sit back and watch,