Starting out...

Hello all

I have been getting more despondent with work recently and have thought about switching careers over to lorry driving. I have been a car driver for 8 years, with a clean licence and no accidents. I have a very responsible job in a hospital but want a change of career completely.

I’ve been talking to a driver I know about getting a firm to fund my training in return for a contract with them. He seems to think its possible. Is this realistic for a newbie driver? Also - would I need experience to get any work at all?I know there really isnt a shortage of drivers, but i’m not bothered about hours etc as I slave away at the moment for bugger all lol so am fairly flexible!! I live in Norfolk with several firms around such as Freight Force and Turners etc. Is it just a case of sending off letters and seeing what turns up? If I have to self fund for my licence I will, and might do some agency work (If they’ll have me!)

I’m not desperate for work at present as im still employed, but just want some opinions really.

Am I barking up the wrong tree??

Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome bazza123 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

bazza123:
I’ve been talking to a driver I know about getting a firm to fund my training in return for a contract with them. He seems to think its possible.

bazza123:
Am I barking up the wrong tree??

In regard to what that driver said - yes

bazza123:
If I have to self fund for my licence I will, and might do some agency work (If they’ll have me!)

Many ask for a minimum of 2 years experience which usually means HAVING the licence for 2 years.

bazza123:
I’m not desperate for work at present as im still employed

Keep the present job - get the licence and look on it as ‘an investment for the future’

If you work Mon to Fri in your present job then you will have the option of driving for one day every other weekend - if an agency will offer you something…

Hi mate.

Unless you’re VERY VERY lucky or have a reccomendation off of someone who drives for a compnay who’ll pay you through it?.. i’d be looking at funding the licenses yourself.

It can be hard to find work, i got lucky though… Who knows in a year or two there could be loads of work about though.

I think some of the Morrisons RDC’s etc have their own instructors and train up warehouse lads etc, that could be an option.

Keep the present job - get the licence and look on it as ‘an investment for the future’

Rog forgot to mention the increase in new drivers getting work as soon as they’ve passed their test. It’s certainly not all doom and gloom :laughing: :laughing:

OK, thanks for the comments. Looking forward to starting my training, whatever happens.

Peter Smythe:

Rog forgot to mention the increase in new drivers getting work as soon as they’ve passed their test. It’s certainly not all doom and gloom :laughing: :laughing:

OH YES IT IS!!!

DON`T WASTE YOUR TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY!!!

ITS A JOKE OF A INDUSTRY!!!

YES i AM SHOUTING VERY LOUD!!!

^ LOL very bitter…

I’ve had my class 2 for 5 months and class 1 for 2 and have landed permenant work! Probably one of the best jobs too…

I would say you need to be doing class 1 for more options.

philmots:
I would say you need to be doing class 1 for more options.

More newbies with CE do seems to be getting work over those with C

When I was in a situation similar to yours I paid for my class 2 licence and got nowhere with it,I then tried for the bus licence and had employment for the last 10 years.Also large bus firms train their own drivers ,this may give you food for thought.

er do they I DONT THINK SO ny advice stick too your job or you will be signing on long past retirement

There have been a few get their LGV and then quite soon after, their PCV, which they have done free (in house) through signing a 2 year contract with a bus company
They did the 2 years PCV driving which just happens to be the time that most seem to want newbies to have on their LGV licence before giving them a chance and then they left to do LGV driving.

Quite a canny plan me thinks - I know there are stories about PCV bus driving but in the grand scheme of things. 2 years aint bad and you end up with PCV & LGV licences - 1 free and 1 not

I suppose there is always the TA - C+E, ADR the lot…