Advice Needed..

Hello,

Basically I’m thinking of becoming a lorry driver but would like some advice before I do. Firstly, do most people start out driving for a company as I am particularly interested in having my own cab? Do many people do this and is it hard to get loads? Secondly what pay can I expect to get if I had my own cab? Finally, I am very interested in doing european work, to and from the continent. How likely and what percentage of drivers get to do this?

Cheers and I hope you can help.

P.S i should of put my questions in a list, sorry!! Maybe it would make it easier if people put answers in lists. Thanks again…

THE KING:
Hello,

Basically I’m thinking of becoming a lorry driver but would like some advice before I do. Firstly, do most people start out driving for a company as I am particularly interested in having my own cab? Do many people do this and is it hard to get loads? Secondly what pay can I expect to get if I had my own cab? Finally, I am very interested in doing european work, to and from the continent. How likely and what percentage of drivers get to do this?

Cheers and I hope you can help.

P.S i should of put my questions in a list, sorry!! Maybe it would make it easier if people put answers in lists. Thanks again…

1. What are you doing as in work at the moment ?
  2. Have you ever worked in Road Haulage ?
  3. How old are you ?
  4. Are you single ?
  5. Have you won the lottery ?

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome THE KING :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

To answer your question(s)
As with anything, most have to start at the bottom and for a newbie with a truck licence that usually means signing up to lots of agencies in the hope that they might get you a bit of work now and again.

If anyone has given you the idea that you can get the licence and do the things you mention in a very short space of time then they are in cloud cuckoo land !!

On a more positive note - you can always look on the licence as ‘An investment for the future’ :smiley:

ROG thanks for the links etc

Nick, Im still in school, 15 years old about to do my GCSE’s.

How much do cabs cost then lol?

THE KING:

I had a feeling you were a young un :slight_smile:
No harm in that - you have a dream and you are looking into it - good for you.

The reality of buying your own truck and getting the work for it, is a long way off.
The majority who do own their own trucks have been in this industry for quite some time (unless they are in a family concern) and have built up their experiences by starting the way I described in my last post.

One small step at a time is the way forward with each one of those steps taking time - not many shortcuts in this industry - winning he lottery is one but if you did win then being a trucker is probably the last thing you would be doing :laughing: :laughing:

Step one - get as many qualifications as you can - that will give you more options for jobs.
Step two - study and train for your B (car) licence.
Step three - lots more study and training for your C (rigid truck) licence
Step four - agency work, if you are lucky that any will give you some due to inexperience or being under the age of 25 - under 25s are expensive for companies to insure, especially for LGVs.

I’m going to GUESS that steps two and three together will cost in the region of £2,000+ at todays prices

PS - we have something in common, our ages :confused: :open_mouth: - we have the same numbers :slight_smile:

… 15 for you :smiley: and 51 for me :cry: :cry: :cry:

THE KING:

Well 1st of all welcome. 15 eh well you have plenty of time to save your dosh then fella.
You’ll soon learn if you hang around long enough about the good and bad things to do with this industry.

I like a few here have been driving for 30 + years and dont know what else we would rather do.
A cab (cabin) is what your sit in. The Truck / Unit is what your talking about.

The cost veries on make model etc much like a car. This then depends on what your intending to do as the make up of each vehicle depends on what its going to be used for ie Type of work.

The start . You need to get your driving licence and pass your tests, working up to your class c+e if your going to do artic (artculated) truck driving ( Unit and Trailer) the big ones that have trailers that interchange.

If your going to be an owner driver there are more exams and tests and licences to get hold of.

This is a industry that aint easy to get into at the moment but if you have the determination and skill then theres nothing to stop you.
Hang around read the threads and you will see some of the good great things that happen and the bad things that really stink…

one thing you will learn like going through life is learn learn and learn. always ask questions if you cant find or dont understand an answer.
All drivers are not the same, some do this just as a job, others are born to be drivers, others are born drivers.
Happy reading Fella

Thanks for all the help guys, it means a lot.
Whats the pay like?

Also, what percentage (roughly) of drivers do european work?/

Oh yes, and I go to a private school and my parents expect me to go to uni etc :S
Any good degrees I could do to help me out?

Quoted from owner drivers forum

some idea of the cost you could have

£2 k for your licences
£25 k for a good truck
£8k for a trailer
£6200 for you O/L for 5 years
£6k + for insurance

fuel cost can be up to or more £1k a week
then you have you admin and of course your wage and any other wage or payment you have IE accounts CPC holder

THE KING:
Oh yes, and I go to a private school and my parents expect me to go to uni etc :S

Management & business :bulb: :bulb:

THE KING:

A alternative to going to university would be to get a apprenticeship. The age to get your licences is coming down to 18 next month from 21 so i see more companies especially the big one taking apprentices on. You could start in the warehouse next year and be driving artics 2 years after :smiley:

THE KING:

Well, I studied biochemistry at Manchester University medical school, and Applied Computing at Manchester Metropolitan University. Having said that I can’t remember roping and sheeting being included in the curriculum, or any aspects of load restraint come to think of it. Even basic roadcraft was omitted altogether! Hmm…

Having said that there may be, just may be some value in some kind of business / administration education, or maybe these days you can do a degree in logistics management? Whether or not these are of any practical value in the real world is another matter entirely of course :wink:

nick2008:

THE KING:

This is a industry that aint easy to get into at the moment but if you have the determination and skill then theres nothing to stop you.
Hang around read the threads and you will see some of the good great things that happen and the bad things that really stink…

one thing you will learn like going through life is learn learn and learn. always ask questions if you cant find or dont understand an answer.
All drivers are not the same, some do this just as a job, others are born to be drivers, others are born drivers.
Happy reading Fella

The statement from nick that i have highlighted is spot on.
When i was your age mate all i wanted to do was drive lorries and run my own haulage business and thats what i am doing now (with my dad). When i left school at 18 i went straight into driving and i wouldnt change it! Yes its a bloody hard industry to work in but i love it. When i passed my class c i was so pleased and i cant wait until i can start my c + e training. I didnt go to university as i decided it wasnt for me. I think getting an apprenticeship is a good idea, maybe with one of the main manufactuers eg. Scania.

THE KING:

You cannot be that daft then, (apart from wanting to drive a truck :stuck_out_tongue: )
Have a look at University of Huddersfield and see what transport courses interest you.

www2.hud.ac.uk/courses/subject_a … istics.php

THE KING wrote:Oh yes, and I go to a private school and my parents expect me to go to uni etc :S

Another way if you really want to rack your parents off and get your hands dirty is to follow the technical route into commercial fitting, the money is good and an apprentice scheme should be available for you. Either of the answers I have given above will help in your ambitions, whether it be repairing your own truck or running your own fleet eventually.

The reply I put up earlier sounds a bit flippant - that wasn’t the intention; my point insofar as there was one was simply that academic qualifications aren’t the “be-all-and-end-all” by any means.

I’ve thought a bit today about the people I’ve met over the years in this industry that have been basically content and well adjusted in the job, and really it seems that happiness / success is down to personal / personality factors, with some luck factored in as well. The one thing that really didn’t correlate was academic achievement. I have a suspicion that this applies more widely than just to the transport industry.

If you have to go to university, why not study something that you are interested in? Even for example psychology or languages could be seen as having some relevance surely? What are you good at?

Also, have you considered that you could also go to university later as a mature student? For example, Wheel Nut and Bernie1 had excellent suggestions - some formal technical training / apprenticeship in the wagon-fixing line, then work for a bit, and save up some cash, learn a bit more about yourself and life and then go to university as a mature student? You might find that studying is easier after having got into the habit of working at a proper job (don’t ask me how I know this :blush:)

All the best, anyway!