Start of working week

Hi a noob question for you , am I right in thinking my working week begins at the end of a 45 hr weekly rest no matter what day it falls on and not strickly from Sun to mon ?

Thanks.

Victa1:
Hi a noob question for you , am I right in thinking my working week begins at the end of a 45 hr weekly rest no matter what day it falls on and not strickly from Sun to mon ?

Thanks.

There are rules for the fixed week and for between weekly rests

If you regularly have tue and wed off then to most they would deem thu fri sat sun mon as their working week but there is no such thing in law

I’m having Mon tues off one week then Monday of the next …

Just watch you don’t do more than 6 consecutive shifts. Simples!

Honestscott76:
Just watch you don’t do more than 6 consecutive shifts. Simples!

That is a simplistic way of saying it but may not be true for all hence the 144 hours max between weekly rests as some trampers may do 7 or 8 shifts legally between weekly rests

Does that 144 hours include POA / Breaks? I wasn’t aware of such rule, I take its another EU rule?

Got it!

BUT As I understand, “Weekly rest periods
A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24-hour periods from the end of the last weekly rest period.”

Therefore the 144 hours can only be achieved when ‘double manning’ over 6 days.

6 x 24 = 144 so single manning or double manning makes no difference as the rules are same for both

6 x 24 periods does not refer to 6 shifts - in fact the regs do not mention shifts or days as they work in hours

ROG, with all due respect, you’ve answered yourself well. 6 x 24 = 144.
The Law is quite clear, “A driver must start his weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24 hour periods (6 shifts) from the end of the last weekly rest period”.

So I disagree that Trampers can do ‘7 or 8 shifts legally’ as you claim.

Honestscott76:
ROG, with all due respect, you’ve answered yourself well. 6 x 24 = 144.
The Law is quite clear, “A driver must start his weekly rest period no later than at the end of six consecutive 24 hour periods (6 shifts) from the end of the last weekly rest period”.

So I disagree that Trampers can do ‘7 or 8 shifts legally’ as you claim.

Try this
10 shift
9 rest
10 shift
9 rest
10 shift
9 rest
10 shift
11 rest
10 shift
11 rest
10 shift
11 rest
10 shift

that is 7 shifts and still not got to the max 144 hours (6 x 24)

It relies on not having much “other work”. Take the drive time + break + daily rest and it’s possible, as ROG said, to do more than 6 shifts. I used to do it regularly on E. Europe. The day just starts a bit earlier each shift.

But, for simplicity, the 6 “shifts” is a good general understanding without complicating the issue.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry ROG, I disagree. You cannot do 7 consecutive shifts as your example shows. As the sixth you’ll need a 45 (weekly rest) as per Regulations (Law) Please refer to my attachment above, headed ‘Weekly Rest Periods’. It’s crystal clear my friend.

Furthermore, your example showing 7 straight shifts, equates to 70 hrs weekly duty, which is also contrary to the 60 hour maximum working week under the Working Time Directive. [emoji5]️

Honestscott76:
Furthermore, your example showing 7 straight shifts, equates to 70 hrs weekly duty, which is also contrary to the 60 hour maximum working week under the Working Time Directive. [emoji5]️

What if in each shift there is 5.5 hours driving, 1 hour other work. 1 hour break and 2.5 hours POA = 45.5 hours working time

You need to explain WHY those 7 shifts are illegal in your opinion

Ok that explains the WTD issue of 70 hours duty.

Ok, so why 7 shifts are illegal; Simply the fact that they are consecutive. Please, please, please read the regulation I posted headed “Weekly Rest Periods” it’s CRYSTAL CLEAR.

Honestscott76:

Ok, so why 7 shifts are illegal; Simply the fact that they are consecutive. Please, please, please read the regulation I posted headed “Weekly Rest Periods” it’s CRYSTAL CLEAR.

It states that a weekly rest period must start no later than 6 x 24 hour periods (144 hours) - it does not state anything about shifts or days so please explain how you are reading it :question:

ROG:

Honestscott76:

What if in each shift there is 5.5 hours driving, 1 hour other work. 1 hour break and 2.5 hours POA = 45.5 hours working time

You need to explain WHY those 7 shifts are illegal in your opinion

It’s legal but you wouldn’t hang on to your drivers for long! :laughing: :laughing:

I have a feeling that Honestscott76 is reading a 24 hour period as being a DAY so is therefore thinking that the max is 6 days with one shift per day between weekly rests … I could be mistaken …

ROG:

Honestscott76:

It states that a weekly rest period must start no later than 6 x 24 hour periods (144 hours) - it does not state anything about shifts or days so please explain how you are reading it :question:

Haha just waiting for tachograph to join in now :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestscott76:

I am sorry but you are wrong and ROG is correct. I regularly do 7 or 8 shifts in the 6 days (144 hours) that the regulations allow between weekly rest periods. There is nothing in the rules to prohibit it.