Weekly rest question?

Hello, thanks for viewing, I’m brand new to this world just a couple of weeks into a new job and I’m still getting my head around the rest periods, my boss had booked me to do a Saturday (4th June) which i agreed too and on my way home today he has also asked me to do tomorrow (28th May) to cover someone who is sick, and to get around the rules to have 2 days rest following the second Saturday, but I’m not sure that is allowed? please help, i don’t think i can but i don’t want to look stupid in the office lol, it would be as follows…

Week 1. (Start 5.30am)
Mon - Worked
Tue - Worked
Wed - Worked
Thu - Worked
Fri - Worked
Sat - Overtime (Finish around 4pm)
Sun - Rest

Week 2.
Mon - Work
Tue - Work
Wed - Work
Thu - Work
Fri - Work
Sun - Rest

Week 3.
Mon - Rest
Tue - Work (Start 5.30am)

Looks OK, you’ll have about 37.5 hours rest at the end of week 1, then 61.5 at the end of week 2, which will give you a full rest plus compensate for the missing 7.5 from week 1.

Just read that you’re a couple of weeks into a new job, what rest period did you have last weekend?

Before week 1 i had a full rest period of more than 45 hours, i was just unsure because the rules say…

‘‘Any two consecutive calendar weeks must contain at least one 45 Hour Regular Weekly Rest.’’

And didn’t know wether it could overlap into the 3rd week (Sunday being last day of week 2 and Monday the first of week 3)

Basically, if a weekly rest spans 0000 Sunday/Monday (UTC), it can be counted in either week, but not both. You’re also restricted to a maximum of 144 hours (6x24) between ending one weekly rest, and starting the next one, so you should always have at least one weekly rest in every week. They don’t have to be completed within 7 days of starting the week. In fact, you could in theory work on every day of the year quite legally - wouldn’t recommend it though!

Ok that makes more sense to me now, will stop me pondering over it, thanks for the help, much appreciated

Gavinf89:
Hello, thanks for viewing, I’m brand new to this world just a couple of weeks into a new job and I’m still getting my head around the rest periods, my boss had booked me to do a Saturday (4th June) which i agreed too and on my way home today he has also asked me to do tomorrow (28th May) to cover someone who is sick, and to get around the rules to have 2 days rest following the second Saturday, but I’m not sure that is allowed? please help, i don’t think i can but i don’t want to look stupid in the office lol, it would be as follows…

Week 1. (Start 5.30am)
Mon - Worked
Tue - Worked
Wed - Worked
Thu - Worked
Fri - Worked
Sun - Rest

Week 2.
Mon - Work
Tue - Work
Wed - Work
Thu - Work
Fri - Work
Sun - Rest

Week 3.
Mon - Rest

Is week 3 mon rest the bank holiday on the 30th :question:

Gavinf89:
Week 1. (Start 5.30am)
Mon - Worked
Tue - Worked
Wed - Worked
Thu - Worked
Fri - Worked
Sun - Rest

Week 2.
Mon - Work
Tue - Work
Wed - Work
Thu - Work
Fri - Work
Sun - Rest

Week 3.
Mon - Rest

That’ll be fine, you’ve had a reduced weekly rest period in week 1 (a regular if you had 45 hours rest before starting Monday).
A regular weekly rest period in week 2 (Sunday and Monday).
You’ll be having a reduced weekly rest period in week 3 so you will need a regular 45 hour weekly rest period the following weekend.

I have a weekly rest question. I no it needs to be completed by the end of 7 24hr periods since you started but when does the 45 start. If i did a 15hr shift would i need to complete a 9 hr daily rest before my 45 starts or does the 45 replace the daily rest on the last working day? Cant find this info anywhere. Thanks

Jwalsh8:
I have a weekly rest question. I no it needs to be completed by the end of 7 24hr periods since you started but when does the 45 start. If i did a 15hr shift would i need to complete a 9 hr daily rest before my 45 starts or does the 45 replace the daily rest on the last working day? Cant find this info anywhere. Thanks

The first 9 of the 45 includes the reduced daily rest

Jwalsh8:

A weekly rest period must start no later than six 24 hours periods (144) hours from the end of the previous weekly rest period but it doesn’t have to be completed “by the end of 7 24hr periods”.

A weekly rest period begins as soon as you finish work on the last shift of your working week.

Lets say you work days Monday to Friday, when you finish work on Friday you immediately start your weekly rest period, on the last day of your working week you still need to have the daily rest period within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, but that daily rest period counts as both a daily rest period and part of the weekly rest period.

tachograph:

Jwalsh8:

A weekly rest period must start no later than six 24 hours periods (144) hours from the end of the previous weekly rest period but it doesn’t have to be completed “by the end of 7 24hr periods”.

A weekly rest period begins as soon as you finish work on the last shift of your working week.

Lets say you work days Monday to Friday, when you finish work on Friday you immediately start your weekly rest period, on the last day of your working week you still need to have the daily rest period within the period of 24 hours from the start of the shift, but that daily rest period counts as both a daily rest period and part of the weekly rest period.

Ah that makes sense thanks.