Speeding/courses

bloke was telling me you cant go on those courses to save getting fine and points if youre doing 37 mph in a 30 limit.
now its 2 years roughly since i got one in bradford for 37 mph in a 30 limit.
i thought they said [local cop station], up to 35 mph was a slap on wrist 36 - [cant remember exactly what ,but it wasnt 1 mph] was a fine +points or do a course [i couldnt do it as west yorkshire police didnt do a course at time] .
hes saying you can only go on course up to 36 mph [said copper put down 36 mph as speed so he could go on course , is he right :question:

Going on a speed awareness course just means that the driver does not get the points but stil get the fine or in many cases no fine but the course costs the driver £60 - oh !! that’s the same as the fine :wink:

It is usually on a weekday so causes the driver to have a day off work just to be deliberately inconvenient

It is a classroom course - no driving (the driving one is the driver improvement course)

The criteria for sending a driver on one can vary slightly from county to county and depends in some cases as to how many points the driver has already.

Not every county can offer this as an alternative to getting the points.

hope that helps

Oh yet another speeding related thread and guess who has first opinion on it…

LOL shouldnt you be checking oil Rog? :laughing:

Imp:
Oh yet another speeding related thread and guess who has first opinion on it…

No opinion - just FACTS :slight_smile:

Imp:
LOL shouldnt you be checking oil Rog?

EH :exclamation: :question: :confused: :confused:

When they started they were just for people who slightly exceeded the 30 limit. Now they have been extended but AFAIK only for first offences. And yes it does vary from county to county.

BTW - When you go you have to pay a fee of £60. This is not a fine (no points either) so you dont have to tell your insurer.

My misses is going on a speed awareness course for 38 in a 30 on a SATURDAY so no you would’nt have to take a day off :exclamation: well unless it’s part off your working week.

Went on one last week…57 in a 50.

Wasn’t as bad as i was expecting and was able to highlight the whole HGV 40mph on single carriageway thing.

Section where you have to list the things that make you speed, so i said that sometimes it was safer to be doing more than 40 as you tend to get some real lunatic driving from people desperate to get round the lorry. Not one other person in the room, apart from the person “leading” the course, was aware that we could only go 40.

One bloke there said that if he hadn’t opted for the course the points would have taken him to 12…and a ban! So much for the idea that the courses are only offered to those who have not already got points…i think they don’t care about the points as long as they get your £60…

i got 3 points a few years ago for doing 46 in a 40.( well a national speed limit single carriageway)
anyhow i did,nt get offered the course because as a professional driver i should have known better.
bet the git who done 40 past a school in a 30 limit got the course though. :unamused:

AFAIK you can only go on a course if you haven’t already been on one within the last two years.

CRISPY:
My misses is going on a speed awareness course for 38 in a 40 on a SATURDAY so no you would’nt have to take a day off :exclamation: well unless it’s part off your working week.

38 in a 40, best keep my foot down then! :open_mouth:

shortfatbaldbloke:

CRISPY:
My misses is going on a speed awareness course for 38 in a 40 on a SATURDAY so no you would’nt have to take a day off :exclamation: well unless it’s part off your working week.

38 in a 40, best keep my foot down then! :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mate of mine is going on a speed awareness course after being caught by a camera doing 37 in a 30 in Hertfordshire. He is being offered the course as he has no points on his licence and hasn’t been on a course in the last 3 years. The Course is one day and costs £105, more than the fine but no points so worth it. He has to wait until February for the course as at the moment they are only holding courses for drivers caught while driving a manual car. Apparently it’s a different course for an automatic, which he was driving, and the next one is February which will be nearly 5 months after the offence.

Coffeeholic:
Mate of mine is going on a speed awareness course after being caught by a camera doing 37 in a 30 in Hertfordshire. He is being offered the course as he has no points on his licence and hasn’t been on a course in the last 3 years. The Course is one day and costs £105, more than the fine but no points so worth it. He has to wait until February for the course as at the moment they are only holding courses for drivers caught while driving a manual car. Apparently it’s a different course for an automatic, which he was driving, and the next one is February which will be nearly 5 months after the offence.

£105 is about the cost in this county for the driver improvement course which is different for manual & auto drivers.
The speed awareness course where I am is the same for both.
just goes to show that each county can have it’s own rules.

ROG:

Coffeeholic:

£105 is about the cost in this county for the driver improvement course which is different for manual & auto drivers.
The speed awareness course where I am is the same for both.
just goes to show that each county can have it’s own rules.

Seems the Hertforddhire one is a mixture of speed awareness and improvement. hertsdirect.org/envroads/roa … peedpoints

The courses are an opportunity to offer drivers help and advice in their awareness of speed limits and to improve their driving.

i was doing 35 in a 30 , but was told if i was doing 36 & over it would have been a fine & points without the option of the course , i too was the only HGV driver there & as above, people didn’t know about our speed limits . Have kept a clean licence since, (not that i was regularly caught for speed offences anyway) & always now keep to the speed limit , this has an effect in two ways , the office have stopped pushing , & i get more nights out so my wage pack has an exta £200 per month ! very handy !

Coffeeholic:
Seems the Hertforddhire one is a mixture of speed awareness and improvement. hertsdirect.org/envroads/roa … peedpoints

I favour that mix over what we have here

Most can sit in a classroom and nod their heads but the better test is the practical one.

Yeah guess every area has its own rules, know of some areas that wouldnt touch you for doing under 40mph on some 30mph roads because the local authority has butchered the speed limit down to 30mph where for years it was 40mph and there is little reason apart from politics and generating cash the limit has been droped.

May sound really stupid but i don’t know if i’d go on the course don’t know if i could sit keep my mouth shut and stomach some pious individual going on about how dangerous i had been doing 35 or 36mph in a 30mph. I recon i’ve had 21 points in total in the past (my licence has been clean for the past 6 years tho).

My speeding offences were stuff like 39mph in a 30mph (used to be 40mph) wide open road with decent sight lines at 2am on a Monday morning returning from work, 89mph on the A78 at 5am on a clear summers morning. Various others similar mostly on roads with decent sight lines, wide open and most had their limits unrealistically reduced.

Even Richard Brunstrom who hates speeding motorists has said he doesent understand why some local authorites have been reducing speed limits since in a lot of cases it isn’t warrented and this is from someone who hates speeding motorists.

I’d find it hard to sit and get told all day getting told what a danger i am to the public.

dave:
i got 3 points a few years ago for doing 46 in a 40.( well a national speed limit single carriageway)
anyhow i did,nt get offered the course because as a professional driver i should have known better.
bet the git who done 40 past a school in a 30 limit got the course though. :unamused:

I had a similar experience on the A5 at Nuneaton and complained to the ticket office as to why the speed awareness course was not offered and was told that they were only offered on 30/40 mph roads, so was not applicable in this case. I was told if I was not happy to go to court and argue my case. 3 years on I am still waiting for the summons :laughing: :laughing:

A lot of us share your frustration at the lowering of these limits Kenny1975 and the reason that i’ve been given for this reduction is, reading between the lines - they are designed to accomodate the numptiest of drivers.

So we are now faced with the limits being set to accomodate the less competant drivers instead of introducing compulsory further training for them - but that would be a vote loser !!!

Think also Rog its politics, look at organsations like Brake you think a decent group campaigning about road safety. But if you look at their history a lot of the high heid yins in Brake were road protesters in the late 80’s and early 90’s who got rid of their smelly clothes and dreadlocked hair and went got their degree’s.

These people are completly anti-car, anti-roads, and using their powers to influence people in local authorties with dodgy science.

Don’t get me wrong i’m not infavor of people breaking speed limits, but think in a lot of cases the speed limits are now far to low. The biggest problem with this is you now have a generation of drivers who no longer believe in speed limits, think enforcement is just a cash cow. Where as years ago you got caught speeding you shouldnt have been doing it because the speed limits where realistic, it was a fair cop. These days you think i’m just paying another tax.