Speeding/courses

Kenny1975:
Think also Rog its politics, look at organsations like Brake you think a decent group campaigning about road safety. But if you look at their history a lot of the high heid yins in Brake were road protesters in the late 80’s and early 90’s who got rid of their smelly clothes and dreadlocked hair and went got their degree’s.

These people are completly anti-car, anti-roads, and using their powers to influence people in local authorties with dodgy science.

If that is the case then they have big opposition in the IAM - another road safety politically connected organisation who oppose these unnecessary reductions.

This is true, but Brake have been more politically in favor the last 10 years, with Nu-Labour.

I think its part of a wider agenda which is anti-motorist. Places like Glasgow city centre, used to be a 30min drive right into the city centre, now its more like an hour, half the journey is trying to get along city streets because lots are no buses only right turns, can only drive down certain streets. The phasing of the lights has been messed about with, its a complete disaster and even worse they are cutting off their noses to spite their face because the buses are stuck in this mess as well.

Their aim has been to make using a car as unpleasent as possible, with very vague improvements in fatality rates on the roads over the past 15 years, most of the reductions are prob accountable through better car design. Compared a Mini Metro to a modern Corsa, i know which one i’d rather crash.

ROG:
£105 is about the cost in this county for the driver improvement course which is different for manual & auto drivers.

mine cost me more that that, but there was a mix of manual and auto drivers on the course, it was a day and a half, but a thursday then half a friday

i don’t get it.
if they don’t want people speeding, then why do they put people on speeding courses? surely this would make people do it more?

it’s like these druggy drop in centres that they have in blackpool, they give them clean needles so they can do drugs better.

limeyphil:
i don’t get it.
if they don’t want people speeding, then why do they put people on speeding courses? surely this would make people do it more?

£105 a person, how many people on a course 10 or 20, courses all booked out. Licence to print money, no doubt the guy came up with the idea ran a training agency which could provide the training. Some nice lunches in expensive resteruants, talk government and police people into it.

Same as the CPC and all this other training we constantly need, its all about the cash. The training people musta chucked a load of bungs to the right people. We are in the wrong game, if you had a time machine go back 10 years and start a training company.

limeyphil:
it’s like these druggy drop in centres that they have in blackpool, they give them clean needles so they can do drugs better.

Purely economics, a needle prob costs what a few pence bought in bulk compared to say £200+ a day on drugs for AIDS.

bus lanes,traffic islands turning roads into virtual single track and one way systems that defy logic are all designed to snarl up the city centres and surrounding areas to make people more receptive to the london model congestion charges etc

I might be offered one of these but taking a day off work and driving from Margate to Oxford in a petrol-loving Rover 825 makes me think I won’t be bothering with that old nonsense.

Just a practical question, my car insurance is about £250, any idea how much it is likely to go up by next year? I’ve already informed my insurance company, and they aren’t going to charge anything this year but they have said that I will get loaded next year.

Harry Monk:
I might be offered one of these but taking a day off work and driving from Margate to Oxford in a petrol-loving Rover 825 makes me think I won’t be bothering with that old nonsense.

You don’t necessarily have to travel to where the offence was committed for the course if one is available locally you can do it there. One of our drivers who lives in Aylesbury was done near Chester but was able to do the course in Aylesbury. It was a two day course and although it was £20 more to do it locally by the time the petrol and a hotel were taken out of the equation it made sense.

Harry Monk:

Just a practical question, my car insurance is about £250, any idea how much it is likely to go up by next year? I’ve already informed my insurance company, and they aren’t going to charge anything this year but they have said that I will get loaded next year.

Depends how many points you have got, if its just three for speeding and just normal endorsement prob won’t even rise. Since the introdcution for speed cameras so many people have points that the insurance companies dont treat them like they used to. Three points is a kinda normal thing these days for a lot of people.

Even when i had 9 points my motorbike insurance went from £90 to 95.