speed awareness course

hi all, i`ve been offered the opportunity to attend a speed awareness course instead of 3 points and fine, what happens on these courses, is there a test/exam to do ? how long do they take ? can you choose the location you attend them ? im still waiting on paperwork to come through , copper reckons it cost about £ 95:00 anyone been on one of these ? thanks.

i was offered one but turned it down, got done in leicester, 100 miles from home, had to travel 200 mile return journey to attend course at a cost of £95.00, lose days wages another £100.00 decided to plead guilty pay £60.00 fpn but did have clean licence so not too worried about 3 points

I understand that you have to sit in a room with your fellow criminals and watch gory videos of car crashes then a salaried fat git tells you what a bad boy you lot have been.After lunch its more of the same.Enjoy.No one will tell you what to do when the night shift gaffer says hurry it up because the day shift driver needs the wagon back at 7.30 or any other real world scenario.

Just booked mine with lancashire county council, course in Leyland…cost £69…when you get your letter it will give you a web site and you can see all the dates available over a 5 month period and how many places are for each days course. They do Saturdays as well morings or afternoons

A mate of mine done it on a Sunday cost of £60.00
Sit in room watch some vids listen to guy talk go home as I understand it is 8 hrs

Mine was over two days - a few chats , vids and a couple of drives with a guy who knows his stuff - all in all very informative as you get chance to tell the ■■■■ car drivers about heavies
cheers
Steve

if my licence was clean I would just take the points. Can’t be arsed with all that class room ■■■■.

roadcrew:
hi all, i`ve been offered the opportunity to attend a speed awareness course instead of 3 points and fine, what happens on these courses, is there a test/exam to do ? how long do they take ? can you choose the location you attend them ? im still waiting on paperwork to come through , copper reckons it cost about £ 95:00 anyone been on one of these ? thanks.

I went on one of these earlier this year. Got caught doing 72 on a dual carriage way in a 7.5T. Right on the limit for being offered the course.

The course lasts all day with a few breaks.

As for a test, there was a booklet you have to fill in, but he gives you the answers over the day and everyone passes. All common sense stuff. What he is looking for is participation.

You can choose where to do the course. I got done in Kent, but took the course in Sussex. Once you book the course they take care of notifying the police who caught you speeding so you don’t have to do anything else.

Cost £80 I think.

It was all a bit patronising. At the start we all had to say our name, how many miles we do a year, occupation and how fast we were going. There were some hazard perception clips to watch. The gory videos were all videos from the ‘speed kills’ TV campaign. There was some group work.

To be fair, I did learn one thing and that was the definition of a dual carriage way.

Overall, the whole thing could have been done in two hours, but I think making it 8 hours is part of the punishment.

I’m glad I avoided the points now, but at the time I was wishing I had taken the points.

EDIT - I dont think it actually was 8 hours. Just felt like it. Also you can choose day and time so unless you only get sundays off you wont have to take a day off work.

from 1st July you have to sit a 3 hour non calculator exam. You have to show your stop/breaking distances should you had to of braked in an emergency loaded and unloaded comparing if you drove at the limit and the speed you were caught at. You have to show all workings out, and label all diagrams. You then have to sum up your findings in 500 words exactly. Pass score is 97% extra marks given for correct spellings and use of grammar.

Went on one of these they show you all the scare tactics of accidents involving speed , biscuits and coffee at half time then go home , actually it did slow my driving down for a bit but theres always that time when your against the clock for whatever reason and it all goes out the window, i did find out that I am probably one of the most hated on the road as drive a taxi and hgv apparently the drivers out there hate both of them :wink: mine was £70 i wanted to keep my clean licence so opted in and you can ask to attend a course near yourself if far to travel to the place where you where caught !

jen x

green456:
i was offered one but turned it down, got done in leicester, 100 miles from home, had to travel 200 mile return journey to attend course at a cost of £95.00, lose days wages another £100.00 decided to plead guilty pay £60.00 fpn but did have clean licence so not too worried about 3 points

it wouldn’t have taken too long, if you put your foot down. :laughing:

Did one this Tuesday 7th June 2011, was doing 46 in an artic on the A46 by Evesham (s/c), course cost £80 & was 4 hours long with 2 tea/smoke breaks. Got 6 points on licence so happy to take the course no points and excessive insurance premiums, last 3 points cost nearly £200 on insurance. I knew most of the things mentioned on course, which was taken by an independent advanced driving examiner (not the police). One thing that did shock me was the stopping distance at 30 mph is 75 feet, if your doing 35 mph at 75 feet you’ll still be doing 18 mph, and at 40 mph its 26 mph, 45 is 32 mph and so on, so 5/10 mph over could make a big difference.

if it lasts 8 hours can it be a part of c.p.c

I done the course when i got caught doing 50 on the a 40, which is a 40 for trucks, did it in buckingham i think, to be honest i didnt find it too patronisiing, it was done by an independant not the police, didnt learn anything new, but to be honest, it did make me rethink and refresh me, and i hate authority !.Given the same chance again, i can highly reccomend doing the course, it wasnt hard at all, more of a refresher.

when i did mine,i was surprised by the fact about 90 percent of the other offenders didnt even know the various speed limits in this country!!

andrew.s:
didnt even know the various speed limits in this country!!

well its not difficult FFS :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

2 speeds. FAST & FASTER :exclamation: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:

green456:

it wouldn’t have taken too long, if you put your foot down. :laughing:

I was gonna put that, but didn’t want to accused of condoning speeding :wink:

BTW, AFAIK (sorry about the acronyms) if you attend a speed awareness course - you still have to inform your insurers, and I don’t think it’s so’s they can drop your premium :open_mouth:

Remember, if you are eligible and elect to take the Speed Awareness Course, you do not have to pay the fine, you won’t get the penalty points and above all, you don’t have to tell your insurance company because the speeding offence is cancelled…FACT!!

You don’t have to travel to the area you got done in to take the course, you can take it near home. One of our lads got done near Chester and did the speed awareness course in Aylesbury, where he lives.