speed awareness course

looks like i`ll go for the course so i dont get the points, copper said my insurance co. dont have to be told, …the car up front nearly flattened the camera cop who jumped out in the road dressed all in black, no hi vis or anything :slight_smile: thanks for the replies so far .

daf3300:
if it lasts 8 hours can it be a part of c.p.c

lmao :sunglasses:

no bodody is condoning speed its inapropriate that kills and i was was not making light of this subject but does it still count as 8 hours in the class room ?

bluenose:
Did one this Tuesday 7th June 2011, was doing 46 in an artic on the A46 by Evesham (s/c), course cost £80 & was 4 hours long with 2 tea/smoke breaks. Got 6 points on licence so happy to take the course no points and excessive insurance premiums, last 3 points cost nearly £200 on insurance. I knew most of the things mentioned on course, which was taken by an independent advanced driving examiner (not the police). One thing that did shock me was the stopping distance at 30 mph is 75 feet, if your doing 35 mph at 75 feet you’ll still be doing 18 mph, and at 40 mph its 26 mph, 45 is 32 mph and so on, so 5/10 mph over could make a big difference.

There was a video posted about this, where it showed a car stopping from 30mph and it stopped just before it hit something, but at 35, it hit it at nearly 20mph… I thought it was a VERY effective video, but it still doesn’t take away the fact that a lot of speed limits are just ■■■■■■■■ numbers picked by some moron in an office with no idea of the real world.

Btw, I don’t speed and have a clean licence, but that doesn’t mean I agree with the limits, just obey them.

daf3300:
no bodody is condoning speed its inapropriate that kills and i was was not making light of this subject but does it still count as 8 hours in the class room ?

Unless you can find a JAUPT approved speed awareness course then no. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

My brother in law was offered one of these courses, he couldn’t attend the dates given (no website just dates in the letter) so he rang up and was offered a DVD to watch at home and a little booklet to fill in to show you’d watched it. Had to hand the booklet in to the local cop shop and it was all done.

Think he was only doing 38 in a 30 or something like that though so that may make a difference?

the fastest i ever went was an indicated 177mph,i was very aware of the speed,

waynedl:
There was a video posted about this, where it showed a car stopping from 30mph and it stopped just before it hit something, but at 35, it hit it at nearly 20mph… I thought it was a VERY effective video, but it still doesn’t take away the fact that a lot of speed limits are just [zb] numbers picked by some moron in an office with no idea of the real world.

Btw, I don’t speed and have a clean licence, but that doesn’t mean I agree with the limits, just obey them.

Agree some are too slow, but there are also some that are too fast.

i have been offered to do one of these courses instead of getting 3 points after i got clocked doing 49 in a 40 on the a127 at basildon in my 8 wheeler tipper think its a bit strong i was only 9 mph over but it better than getting points :frowning:

I did one of these last week, got clocked at 57 in the car on a 50 dual carriageway. The thing I learned most was the ignorance of the general motoring population as regards speed limits, motorways etc. We had people thinking that the nsl on single carriageways was 40/50 and thinking it was only 50 on dual carriageways. And most were clueless about urban speed limits, he put various pictures up and asked us what we thought the limit was and most got it wrong. And we had the militant bloke who “shouldnt have been there, its all for cash, I was only doing 35 etc etc” you’ll have met him in a DCPC course, his face was a picture when he was shown the stopping from 35 video.

When I did mine the best part was to be able to make a few car drivers aware of the different rules we have. Most of them weren’t aware of the 40mph limit on SCs and that we were mechanically limited to 55 or even less.

I took a day’s holiday to do mine and it took about 4 hours with tea nd biccies included for the £60. We were told that there was no need to inform the Insurance Co, as we had NOT been convicted of anything.

received a letter yesterday which says that "as a result of a administrative error, the enforcement at the location was deemed unlawful at the time of the offence, no further action will be taken and the matter is now closed "… nice one !

roadcrew:
received a letter yesterday which says that "as a result of a administrative error, the enforcement at the location was deemed unlawful at the time of the offence, no further action will be taken and the matter is now closed "… nice one !

roadcrew:
…the car up front nearly flattened the camera cop who jumped out in the road dressed all in black, no hi vis or anything.

maybe that was the “administrative error.”

I got caught doing 37 in a 30 just off J25 M5 and attended a course in Bristol, the highlight of the day was when each person in turn was asked why they were speeding, the best answer was a guy who said it was because his car didn’t like doing 30.

Coffeeholic:
You don’t have to travel to the area you got done in to take the course, you can take it near home. One of our lads got done near Chester and did the speed awareness course in Aylesbury, where he lives.

Agreed.

My mate ( a serial speeder) did his course last week in Derby, he got nicked darn sarf and quite enjoyed his course. He was quite impressed when he asked me some questions on speeding and speed limits and I got them all correct :unamused:

Our shared car so far has collected 12 points and a driving ban and fine in France. I haven’t got any of them, his wife had 6 put on her licence although she has not got one. I think it is time he started getting the bus :stuck_out_tongue: