speed awareness course

Got had doing 36 in a 30 zone in my car I might add, Not in a lorry. letter tells me I can apply for a speed awareness course.

Thay say " IF " I am granted the course I will not receive 3 points or pay the now 100 pond fine !! :open_mouth: , althow I heard the cost of the course is the same amount so same ither way on that one.

just wounding if anyone one here knows or has bin on these courses. there is almost no information regarding the details on the letter iā€™v bin sent and nothing again on the website that the letter points to ither.

Iā€™m wounding just how much these course cost and where I might have to travel too ? as i was in oxford at the time, so dose this mean I have to take the course there ?

But most importantly do you have to declare to an insurance company that you were done for speeding ? as thereā€™s no points to speak of this on the licence ? yet you could ague I still have been found guilty of speeding so there for It would invalidate a policy if not declaired ?

Thay kind of make out like these course are a sort of get out of jail free card, like cheaper in the long run than taking the points and paying higher insurance for the following years. But if you still have to declaire the offence then thereā€™s not really any saving. tricky to figer out the game on this oneā€¦?

you do not get the points

you do not have to pay the ā€˜fineā€™

you do have to pay for the course

the course cost is usually the same, or very similar, to the amount of the fine

you will sit in a room with about 20 (ish) other idiots who didnā€™t spot the camera or police car, and be lectured to for 4 hours, during which time, you will have a coffee break

you will walk away from the course thinking ā€œthey drive amongst us?ā€ :wink:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

^^^^ you forgot

No you do not have to inform your insurance company.

As I understand it, if you accept the offer of the speed awareness course you donā€™t have a conviction or points and therefore you donā€™t have to tell your insurance company, because they ask you if youā€™ve been convicted of an offence. Therefore you are not lying if you tell them you have no points or convictions.

Iā€™ve never been on one, but received wisdom is that itā€™s no worse than doing a dayā€™s DCPC and you may be able to take it at a place which suits you.

Expect to pay about ninety quid; turn up, nod, smile, look interested and donā€™t do it again for at least three years, because thatā€™s how long it takes before you get another chance of a course. Get done in the meantime and you take the points and fine.

shuttlespanker:

you will sit in a room with about 20 (ish) other idiots who didnā€™t spot the camera or police car, and be lectured to for 4 hours, during which time, you will have a coffee break

Yes but do you still have to declair the crime to an insurance company ?

jrt:

shuttlespanker:

Yes but do you still have to declair the crime to an insurance company ?

You only have to declare if they specificly ask if you have been on one, some not all ask the question.

i did one last saturday.

-you can do the course anywhere, there are lots run locally. i was caught in Warwickshire but did my course in Rugeley.

• only a couple of insurance companies request you declare youā€™ve done the course, just choose a company that doesnā€™t :laughing:
  • There will be lots of idiots in there, imagine a class of 15 year olds and you wouldnā€™t be too far off.
  • course costs vary around the country from Ā£70 ish to Ā£100ish

jrt:
Got had doing 36 in a 30 zone in my car I might add, Not in a lorry. letter tells me I can apply for a speed awareness course.

Thay say " IF " I am granted the course I will not receive 3 points or pay the now 100 pond fine !! :open_mouth: , althow I heard the cost of the course is the same amount so same ither way on that one.

just wounding if anyone one here knows or has bin on these courses. there is almost no information regarding the details on the letter iā€™v bin sent and nothing again on the website that the letter points to ither.

Iā€™m wounding just how much these course cost and where I might have to travel too ? as i was in oxford at the time, so dose this mean I have to take the course there ?

But most importantly do you have to declare to an insurance company that you were done for speeding ? as thereā€™s no points to speak of this on the licence ? yet you could ague I still have been found guilty of speeding so there for It would invalidate a policy if not declaired ?

Thay kind of make out like these course are a sort of get out of jail free card, like cheaper in the long run than taking the points and paying higher insurance for the following years. But if you still have to declaire the offence then thereā€™s not really any saving. tricky to figer out the game on this oneā€¦?

Its a get out of jail cheaply if your on 9 points!!!

maga:
i did one last saturday.

-you can do the course anywhere, there are lots run locally. i was caught in Warwickshire but did my course in Rugeley.

• only a couple of insurance companies request you declare youā€™ve done the course, just choose a company that doesnā€™t :laughing:
  • There will be lots of idiots in there, imagine a class of 15 year olds and you wouldnā€™t be too far off.

Lots of idiots in there? yep you was one of them :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

tango boy:

maga:
i did one last saturday.

Lots of idiots in there? yep you was one of them :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ā– ā– ā– ā– 

maga:

tango boy:

maga:
i did one last saturday.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: [zb]

Does the naughty word begin wit C LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the maoster:
^^^^ you forgot

No you do not have to inform your insurance company.

Good that settles that one then :neutral_face: . But just for the record I only missed the speed camera due to a very annoying back seat driver in the car at the time that was trying to tell me how to ā– ā– ā– ā–  eggs so to speak, Lucky for me as a pro cpc driver I came to rise above this by putting my hands over my ears opening and closing my eyes quickly while turning my head side to side and shouting la la la la la la very loudly.

weeto:

jrt:

You can only do a speed awareness course if you have a CLEAN licence!
If you are offered the SAC and you agree to take it, you are normally sent a list of locations, or a link on computer as to all the sites in your area where you can book in for the course, and itā€™s run by the local council NOT the police.
I went on one a couple of months ago and the course was taken by a driving instructor, he was very good, and I was surprised how aware you are as soon as you leave the course, proving how laid back and lazy we all tend to get.

bestbooties:
You can only do a speed awareness course if you have a CLEAN licence!

Sorry but thatā€™s not true!

If you are caught within the threshhold for a SAC & havenā€™t attended one within the past three years & are not in danger of a ban due to ā€œtotting upā€ you can be offered a SAC.

There is no requirement to have a clean licence.

weeto:

Caught speeding with 9 points & itā€™s straight to court for consideration of a ban under the ā€œtotting upā€ process.

Did one a couple of years ago. There was a woman on mine that got caught TWICE. By the SAME camera. On the SAME day :neutral_face: :grimacing:

I got one this week,can I do a print out or a download to see if I was doing the 36 they saying I was?

Do the speed awareness course, as your licence will remain clean. Yes you have to pay Ā£100.00, but if you get caught again within three years, you will not be allowed to go on a course. A good incentive to keep your speed down. Getting harder to avoid getting caught, but the course does make you more aware, as in my case.

Melchett:

weeto:

Caught speeding with 9 points & itā€™s straight to court for consideration of a ban under the ā€œtotting upā€ process.

Really? have you got that in black and white?

Melchett:

weeto:

Not true. Provided the speed recorded was within their guidelines, there are no aggravating factors and you have not been on such a course in the past 3 years youā€™ll normally be offered an awareness course.