speed awareness course

Speed Awareness Course - Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions Relating to the National Speed Awareness Course

What is the National Speed Awareness Course?

The National Speed Awareness Course is an alternative to prosecution for drivers/riders who have been detected speeding within an agreed threshold. Drivers/riders have to be offered the opportunity to attend a course by the police as an alternative to the current £60 Fixed Penalty charge and 3 penalty points.

Do I have to pay for the course and what is involved?

Yes. The cost of the course can vary between service providers. It is a classroom basedinteractive workshop , delivered by a nationally accredited trainer. You will need to contact the Course Provider for the area in which you are taking your course for further details on cost and venues. There is no driving element to this course

Will I be eligible to be offered a National Speed Awareness Course?

Courses will only be available to drivers/riders via an offer from a police authority, having exceeded a speed limit within a pre-determined threshold. Having attended a course, you will not be eligible to attend a second course within 3 years of your offence.

If I attend a course, will I still get penalty points on my licence?

No, Once you have successfully completed the course, no further action will be taken and you will have no record of this on your licence.

What happens if I am late, or am unable to attend on the day?

If you are late, you will not be admitted to the course. It is your responsibility, having accepted the offer to ensure that you arrive in plenty of time. In exceptional circumstances, for example illness, you will need to contact the Course Provider as soon as possible and provide a doctors certificate. If you fail to make contact, your case will be referred back to the Police for their consideration.

How important is it that I bring my driving licence with me?

You will be required to prove your identity and your driving licence, with a photo card, would be ideal. You must however ensure you read the Terms and Conditions of your chosen Course Provider in the event that you are required to produce your driving licence.

What if I cannot attend the course that is offered?

If you are unable to attend the course you are offered, you should contact the Course Provider who will make a decision based upon your circumstances as to whether they can offer an alternative date or refer you back to the Police. If you are referred back to the Police you will then be sent a Conditional Offer (fixed penalty notice or issued with a summons).

Who runs the National Speed Awareness Courses?

Each police authority will appoint a Course Provider in their area to deliver these courses. This association is established to ensure the quality and consistency of delivery of courses throughout the UK.

Do I have to take a written test or driving test?

No, however there will be group discussions that you will be expected to participate in to successfully complete the course. There is no driving involved.

What if I have specific needs?

Prior to attending a course you will be asked by the Course Provider, to indicate if you have any specific needs that will have to be taken into consideration in order to insure that you can fully participate in the course. Every effort will be made to facilitate these needs.

How many people will be on the course?

There may be up to 26 people on the course.

weeto:

Melchett:

weeto:
Its a get out of jail cheaply if your on 9 points!!!

Caught speeding with 9 points & it’s straight to court for consideration of a ban under the “totting up” process.

Really? have you got that in black and white?

If your licence already has 9 points and/or your speed was excessive, you will not receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty. Instead a file will be prepared and your case will be dealt with directly by the Magistrates’ Court.

kmscp.org/the-law/the-ticketing-process.aspx

Many/most forces have the same policy.

had one last year not to bad just take ths b.s and you can apply for a course near you it will tell you ao the letter you pay in advance turn up job done :smiley:

Melchett:

weeto:

Melchett:

weeto:
Its a get out of jail cheaply if your on 9 points!!!

Caught speeding with 9 points & it’s straight to court for consideration of a ban under the “totting up” process.

Really? have you got that in black and white?

If your licence already has 9 points and/or your speed was excessive, you will not receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty. Instead a file will be prepared and your case will be dealt with directly by the Magistrates’ Court.

kmscp.org/the-law/the-ticketing-process.aspx

Many/most forces have the same policy.

Forces in the National Scheme run them under NDORS National Speed Awareness Course Guidance produced by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO).
A statement made on page 2 says,
The course is an alternative to prosecution, for all speed bands and classes of vehicle speeds except 20 mph zones, Previous driving history will not be taken into account when making this offer. can be found on page 2.
http://www.acpo.police.uk/documents/uniformed/2010/201004UNSAC01.pdf
we know ACPO guidlines arent always followed in all cases.

jrt:
Got had doing 36 in a 30 zone in my car I might add, Not in a lorry. letter tells me I can apply for a speed awareness course.

Getting a letter through for doing 36 in a 30 is a bit steep.

me me me me :laughing:

i was on one the other week, pay and do the 4 hrs mate, its not to bad, apart from car drivers not knowing the speed limits and what is and isnt a dual carriageway :unamused:

same as me 36 in a 30, but you can go up to 42mph and still get the course :open_mouth:

jrt:

shuttlespanker:
you do not get the points

you do not have to pay the ‘fine’

you do have to pay for the course

the course cost is usually the same, or very similar, to the amount of the fine

you will sit in a room with about 20 (ish) other idiots who didn’t spot the camera or police car, and be lectured to for 4 hours, during which time, you will have a coffee break

you will walk away from the course thinking “they drive amongst us?” :wink:

hope this helps :slight_smile:

Yes but do you still have to declair the crime to an insurance company ?

no you dont

Usually have to sit the course in the area you got caught in too

As far as I am aware, it’s only Admiral that penalises drivers after they have done a course. All the rest take the view that four hours training will actually make you less likely to be involved in an accident.

leeyarnold:
Usually have to sit the course in the area you got caught in too

Not true.Caught in my car 38 in a 40 in Suffolk.Did the course last week in Barnsley £85.

burnley-si:
me me me me :laughing:

i was on one the other week, pay and do the 4 hrs mate, its not to bad, apart from car drivers not knowing the speed limits and what is and isnt a dual carriageway

Not something that is exclusive to car drivers. Have you never seen the threads on here with many TN members displaying their complete lack of understanding on the difference between a lane and a carriageway?

Ok I got caught with phone in hand in Staffordshire and lived in Manchester. I had to go Staffordshire to sit the course

leeyarnold:
Ok I got caught with phone in hand in Staffordshire and lived in Manchester. I had to go Staffordshire to sit the course

According to ACPO guidelines, if where you live can’t offer the same course as the area you were caught in, you will have to do it in that area.
Some forces only require a theory course and some require a theory and practical course.
If you don’t want to travel to the area you were caught in, you have the option of taking the fine and points or go to court.

skipman:
Not true.Caught in my car 38 in a 40 in Suffolk.Did the course last week in Barnsley £85.

Now if it was in Norfolk I could fully believe that, but I think you’ve been a little hard done to… :smiley:

jrt:

the maoster:
^^^^ you forgot

No you do not have to inform your insurance company.

Good that settles that one then :neutral_face: . But just for the record I only missed the speed camera due to a very annoying back seat driver in the car at the time that was trying to tell me how to ■■■■ eggs so to speak, Lucky for me as a pro cpc driver I came to rise above this by putting my hands over my ears opening and closing my eyes quickly while turning my head side to side and shouting la la la la la la very loudly.

Tell them that when you go, it might help :laughing: :open_mouth:

woody2808:

jrt:

the maoster:
^^^^ you forgot

No you do not have to inform your insurance company.

Good that settles that one then :neutral_face: . But just for the record I only missed the speed camera due to a very annoying back seat driver in the car at the time that was trying to tell me how to ■■■■ eggs so to speak, Lucky for me as a pro cpc driver I came to rise above this by putting my hands over my ears opening and closing my eyes quickly while turning my head side to side and shouting la la la la la la very loudly.

Tell them that when you go, it might help :laughing: :open_mouth:

I shall indeed :laughing:

Just for information guys…

My sister was done a few years ago then attended one of the courses to keep her licence clean. About 12 months later she was caught speeding again and was offered the course again!! The only difference from the first time was that she now lived at a different address since the first course.

So after doing one of these courses, it might be beneficial to change your address on your licence (to your parents address or wherever), then if you are unfortunate enough to get caught speeding again within 3 years of attending the course, you may just get offered another one. After 3 years pass by, simply change it back again! :wink: Just a thought. :slight_smile:

LJA:

My sister was done a few years ago then attended one of the courses to keep her licence clean. About 12 months later she was caught speeding again and was offered the course again!! The only difference from the first time was that she now lived at a different address since the first course.

So after doing one of these courses, it might be beneficial to change your address on your licence (to your parents address or wherever), then if you are unfortunate enough to get caught speeding again within 3 years of attending the course, you may just get offered another one. After 3 years pass by, simply change it back again! :wink: Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Nice one, or just don’t speed !

LJA:

More likely a simple keying error. Their database works on driver number, not address. I don’t know if it’s still the case, but up until a few years ago not all police forces were part of the national scheme, so it was quite possible to be offered another course if your offences were in different police areas.

Olog Hai:

skipman:

Now if it was in Norfolk I could fully believe that, but I think you’ve been a little hard done to… :smiley:

Sorry,38 in a 30 :blush: