speed limit

whats the speed limit approacking gonerby moor services southbound ,trucks 50 ,whats car limit ,i thought it was 60 ,but everyone in canteen was sure it was 70 there ,thought only motorways were 70 or am i wrong

dual carriageway for cars is 70 mph unless stated otherwise.

you’re wrong, cars can do 70 on a duel carriageway with a central divider, unless signed otherwise

oh dear ,and i was so sure of myself ,ill stick to talking about football from now on in the canteen :blush: :blush:

biggusdickusgb:
on a duel carriageway with a central divider

All dual carriageways have a central divider by definition, regardless of no. of lanes, which is why you sometimes get single lane dual carriageways.

mrpj:
All dual carriageways have a central divider by definition, regardless of no. of lanes, which is why you sometimes get single lane dual carriageways.

You’d think so wouldn’t you? There are a couple of short stretches of single lane dual Carriageway on the A20 in Kent near Charing which used to be two lane but are now a single lane each way with hatched areas. I recently had a driving assessment and brought this question up. The Assessor was under the impression That dual carriageway means two lanes going the same way. I thought that doesn’t sound right so When I saw a couple of VOSA TO’s in LFE MSA I asked them about it. To my horror they agreed with the assessor and said 40Mph limit. Still think they are all wrong.

mrpj:

biggusdickusgb:

I suggest a drive down the A556, I think you’ll find that’s only got a painted white line, which is why many have posted on here when they’ve got points for doing 50 on a “dual carriageway”

Correct Biggus and HERE is the proof :wink:

montana man:

As it says in the link it’s not a dual carriageway but a 2 lane single carriageway which is why it’s a 40 limit.

To be counted as a dualcarriageway the lanes have to be seperated by some method if it’s only a white line then it’s a single carriage way with two lanes. Which means 40 mph.

mrpj:

montana man:

As it says in the link it’s not a dual carriageway but a 2 lane single carriageway which is why it’s a 40 limit.

I was merly qualifying the limit at the given location not the roads classification :wink:

montana man:
I was merly qualifying the limit at the given location not the roads classification :wink:

I know you were, I just thought I’d explain why.

mrpj:

biggusdickusgb:

you are still wrong in this quote, I think you are confusing a central divider with a central reservation, a dual carriageway can have a central reservation 500yds wide and the maximum speed limit would be 60.
put in a central divider ( metal fence/concrete blocks ) and the maximum speed limit is 70

mrpj:

It’s also clearly signposted if I remember correctly. There are plenty of warnings of cameras but it doesn’t stop people using it like a drag strip.

biggusdickusgb:
[I think you are confusing a central divider with a central reservation, a dual carriageway can have a central reservation 500yds wide and the maximum speed limit would be 60.
put in a central divider ( metal fence/concrete blocks ) and the maximum speed limit is 70

There is no requirement for a vertical separation, only a physical separation.

T_Trev, your assessor was incorrect, as were the HATO guys. The number of lanes in each direction is irrelevant.

biggusdickusgb:

mrpj:

biggusdickusgb:

you are still wrong in this quote, I think you are confusing a central divider with a central reservation, a dual carriageway can have a central reservation 500yds wide and the maximum speed limit would be 60.

If so,why is there a stretch of the M40 just north of Banbury that has a wide central reservation and no central barrier?

i’ll have to concede the point krankee, because I can’t find locate my reference.
I got the information when the parkway system around peterborough was upgraded from ■■■■■■■■ and grass central resevation to having crash barriers installed and the explaination given was to be able to increase the speed limit from 60 to 70mph
maybe it was classed as a single carriageway even though it had a proper central resevation or the rule has been changed since then, it was 15 to 20 years ago

On the very subject. I recently noticed that the divider on the short strip of the A446 between the Hams Hall Estate, and the M42 is, grass and, variably, short sections of barrier, grass and trees, grass and shrubbery. To argue that a vertical barrier is required begs the question as to how high the grass should grow? Or how high the shrubs need to grow? Or how high any ‘mounding’ of the grassed area should be, before it becomes a vertical barrier? :unamused:

Conceded like a true gentleman. :smiley:

Krankee:
On the very subject. I recently noticed that the divider on the short strip of the A446 between the Hams Hall Estate, and the M42 is, grass and, variably, short sections of barrier, grass and trees, grass and shrubbery. To argue that a vertical barrier is required begs the question as to how high the grass should grow? Or how high the shrubs need to grow? Or how high any ‘mounding’ of the grassed area should be, before it becomes a vertical barrier? :unamused:

Conceded like a true gentleman. :smiley:

You’re just beating around the bush now Krankee !!