speed limit

i was going to contact vosa and ask a question but thought i would seek an answer on here first,a single track carriageway is 40 mph for hgvs,i had an assesment not so long ago and went on a 40 mph rd,then it became 50 so i accelerated to 50 only to be asked what the speed limit is,i replied 50 and was then told it was 40,i said the sign stated 50 but apparently the 50 mph applies only to cars,if i remember correctly the speed limits in the highway code says the speed limit is in force unless stated otherwise,thats what i have allways believed,is the assesor right,it would be nice to know for sure as i do not own a copy of the highway code to fall back on

Yes the assessor is right unless the road in question is/ was a dual carriageway…

I think it’s 40 mph unless it goes to duel cartridge

You could say no the assessor is incorrect because he didn’t say “what is the speed limit for HGV’s on this road” which is what he should have said.

Your assessor was right. You could be going through a national speed limit road but if its only a single carriageway then you may only do 40mph, much to the displeasure off those behind you. Dual carriageway 50mph but if it then goes back into a single carriageway regardless off what speed limit signs are there then it’s back on the brakes to hold everyone up again :slight_smile:.

sj505:

:smiley: :smiley:

chaversdad:

sj505:

:smiley: :smiley:

Ha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I was told by my instructor, when training, that a dual lane that did not have a central reservation or barrier , did not constitute a dual carriageway. Therefore 40mph applied and not 50 mph. Have never seen this officially written anywhere though ?

uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in … 329AAqG1ed ok just found this

The fact that a single-carriageway road has speed limit signs for 50 or 60 mph does not override the national limit of 40 mph for HGVs on single carriageway roads, and there is no requirement for specific speed limit signing for HGVs.

as for the Dual thingy stated above here is the definition…

A dual-carriageway is defined by the presence of a central reservation, either paved or grassed over. The number of lanes in either direction is irrelevant. Indeed, a dual-carriageway can have only one lane in each direction, so long as there is a central reservation.

dsa:
I was told by my instructor, when training, that a dual lane that did not have a central reservation or barrier , did not constitute a dual carriageway. Therefore 40mph applied and not 50 mph. Have never seen this officially written anywhere though ?

Your instructor was correct. The term dual carriageway applies to (funnily enough) the number of carriageways, NOT the number of lanes present. So you can have a dual c/way with one lane in each direction or a single c/way with (hypothetically) 100 lanes in each direction, but the absence of a physical divide between the lanes renders it a single carriageway.

dsa:

There is a good example of this coming off the M6 to go to Nantwich. 2 lanes but no centre division so it is 40. Many truck drivers been done for doing 50 on it.

Apparently, the DCPC is pointless. .
:unamused: :unamused:

Conor:

dsa:

There is a good example of this coming off the M6 to go to Nantwich. 2 lanes but no centre division so it is 40. Many truck drivers been done for doing 50 on it.

…& also on the A556 Chester rd - J19 off the M6

it would be nice to know for sure as i do not own a copy of the highway code to fall back on

Go buy your self one couple of quid useful to stick in your bag

Yes the assessors right, its 40mph. However having been out of driving for a few years have just returned to find out my employer and his drivers think its 56mph only because the limiter cuts in — tippers, enough said, think they are on bonus or something that i’m not. :confused:

best way to define a dual carriageway is if can you roll a ball from the curb in one direction to the curb on the other with out anything stopping it eg central reservation if you can its NOT a dual carriageway if you cant it is simples

Philn:
Yes the assessors right, its 40mph. However having been out of driving for a few years have just returned to find out my employer and his drivers think its 56mph only because the limiter cuts in — tippers, enough said, think they are on bonus or something that i’m not. :confused:

they’ll be on 20% of what the lorry earns…so speed limit dosen’t apply

Latique:
best way to define a dual carriageway is if can you roll a ball from the curb in one direction to the curb on the other with out anything stopping it eg central reservation if you can its NOT a dual carriageway if you cant it is simples

I gave over with that method - my balls kept getting run over :laughing: :open_mouth:

Latique:

when the instructor tells you the solid white line is like a brick wall, does the hypothetical ball bounce back at the lines… Lol

A single carriageway motorway is ruled by the motorway NSL (60)