A556

Morning all

Was on the A556 this morning, and I wanted to open up a question to the floor of TN

Is it 40 or 50 mph for us on the sections where it is dual, but without a central reservation?

Personally, I stick to 40 as I think that to be classified as a dual carriageway, the road must have a central reservation. There’s also an “Up, Down arrow” triangle sign on approach to this section of the road.

Discuss

A556 is 40 :sunglasses: until you hit the proper DUAL CARRIAGEWAY SIGN :laughing: then it’s 50 :smiley: and yes the speed cameras WILL CATCH YOU! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: also keep your beady eyes open for three Audi a6 unmarked vehicles as they are TRAFFIC POLICE! :wink:

40mph and the scameras can get hgvs travelling over that

From the number of folk prosecuted for exceeding 40 mph along that bit of road the limit for vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes is 40.

For the road to be classified as a dual carriageway and the 50 limit to apply there has to be a physical barrier between the opposing traffic flows. Could be ‘Armco,’ a grass verge or even a concrete barrier. White paint isn’t enough to apply the 50 limit.

It isn’t dual. It’s single with two lanes each way.

A’s said, that section on the A556 is single carriageway as there is no dividing ‘barrier’

It is not the number of lanes that make it a dual carriageway, it is the physical ‘barrier’

There is a section of the A5 just north of Hinckley, it is a single lane dual carriageway, as there is kerb stones and a grass section between the different directions of traffic flow

Hiya …going back quite a few years a TESCO driver got nicked 3 times in one day on that stretch
of road. A pal of mine had a clean licence all his working life until a week before he retired. slap
60 quid and 3 points on his last week for 45 mph.
John

How can a dual carriageway (parts of the A40 near London for example) be called dual if it has three lanes each way?

Scanner:
How can a dual carriageway (parts of the A40 near London for example) be called dual if it has three lanes each way?

Dual as two bits of road separated by some thing more than a white line, could be 1,2,3 or more lanes.

There are still many drivers who think that the word DUAL means two lanes instead of two carriageways

Ah, I see. It makes sense now, thanks chaps, wondered about that for ages! :blush:

Scanner:

I take it you didn’t read the whole thread then :unamused:

3300John:
Hiya …going back quite a few years a TESCO driver got nicked 3 times in one day on that stretch
of road. A pal of mine had a clean licence all his working life until a week before he retired. slap
60 quid and 3 points on his last week for 45 mph.
John

And me :blush: :blush: :blush:
And I knew about the limit- just wasn’t concentrating.

geebee45:
From the number of folk prosecuted for exceeding 40 mph along that bit of road the limit for vehicles exceeding 7.5 tonnes is 40.

For the road to be classified as a dual carriageway and the 50 limit to apply there has to be a physical barrier between the opposing traffic flows. Could be ‘Armco,’ a grass verge or even a concrete barrier. White paint isn’t enough to apply the 50 limit.

What about the DC on the A69 at Greenhead? It has a physical barrier between the two carriageways but is still a 60 for cars and therefore, 40 for us. it would be a brave or foolish man to go past the speed camera on the East side at 50mph.

goo.gl/maps/EBDsh

largebloke1969:
40mph and the scameras can get hgvs travelling over that

I was that man!
Or at least one of the many.
When I was doing some for TNT out of Winsford,I got done along the Chester road at Tabley.
This is some years ago now and there was a big debate about it even in the trucking magazines
The definition is that a four lane road with only double white lines down the middle is NOT a dual carriageway.
Although there may be speed limit signs which say 60,that’s for cars,and the speed cameras can pick up an HGV doing over 40!
You have been warned.

ThrustMaster:
What about the DC on the A69 at Greenhead? It has a physical barrier between the two carriageways but is still a 60 for cars and therefore, 40 for us. it would be a brave or foolish man to go past the speed camera on the East side at 50mph.

goo.gl/maps/EBDsh

It’s a dual carriageway, so the limit for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes MAM is 50mph (unless signs show a lower limit). Last time I looked, 60 was definitely not lower than 50…

Then there’s this DC of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm interesting one that. At a push I’d say it was still s/c as there is no physical barrier (other than some turf) between the carriageways. Plus there are no prior signs stating “dual carriageway ahead” . I do stand to be corrected however.

The number of lanes has no bearing on the speed limit. It could be one lane it ten lanes but if there is no physical central divide it is single carriageway and subject to 40mph limit unless marked otherwise.

the maoster:
Hmmm interesting one that. At a push I’d say it was still s/c as there is no physical barrier (other than some turf) between the carriageways. Plus there are no prior signs stating “dual carriageway ahead” . I do stand to be corrected however.

I fired this off to the DfT a few months back. They replied that no physical barrier is necessary for it to be classed as a dual carriageway. Grass is sufficient providing there’s 2 separate carriageways.