Speed limit and speeding

We all know that the speed limit on a s/c is 40 and on a d/c it is 50.

Can anybody explain to me, Why do some drivers stick at 40 on the single, fair enough, it is the limit, BUT as soon as they are on the dual, then it is straight up to the limiter on 56.

If you are going to stick to the limits, then fine.
If you are going to speed, like I do, Fine.

I just can not work out why do both.

I have had my say, so now I will sit back and dodge the flack. :smiley:

SWEDISH BLUE:

Are you baiting Albion? :laughing:
He’ll be along soon to say you’re a dangerous menace for not sticking to 40 etc etc and so on and so on and so and so on.

If someone sticks to the 40mph on a single carriageway then keeps you behind them by doing 56mph when they reach a dual carriageway there seem to be three possible explanations.

1. They feel that 40mph is a safe speed for that particular single carriageway.
  2. They’re nervous or inexperienced drivers and feel uncomfortable doing more than 40mph on anything other than a wide road (they should still let you past on a dual with more than one lane though).
  3. They’re total pricks.

Just stay on the limiter all day (I know think of the children)

I stick to the correct limits, but if there are drivers who are behind me I will delay raising my speed to 50 until they are passed. If it’s a really short d/c section then I can’t be bothered to raise it to 50 anyway.

That’s just me though.

SWEDISH BLUE:
as soon as they are on the dual, then it is straight up to the limiter on 56.

Perhaps they are aware that you can usually do 56 on a dual without getting a ticket cos the ACPO guidelines say speed+10%+2mph for a ticket.
So 50+10%+2 = 57 so 56 is less of a risk.

I don’t do it - just suggesting.

tachograph:
If someone sticks to the 40mph on a single carriageway then keeps you behind them by doing 56mph when they reach a dual carriageway there seem to be three possible explanations.

1. They feel that 40mph is a safe speed for that particular single carriageway.
  2. They’re nervous or inexperienced drivers and feel uncomfortable doing more than 40mph on anything other than a wide road (they should still let you past on a dual with more than one lane though).
  3. They’re total pricks.

Option 4.
they just don’t like you. :frowning:

Perhaps they are aware that you can usually do 56 on a dual without getting a ticket cos the ACPO guidelines say speed+10%+2mph for a ticket.

So why don’t they do 46 MPH on the S/C instead of 40? That would be more predictable than driving as per the OPs scenario! :smiley:

What makes me laugh is the A40 at Monmouth. The majority of lorries stick to the 50 limit through Monmouth and then speed up when they get to the national speed limit (still 50 for lorries). I’m not siding with whether or not anyone breaks the speed limit, but it is the same yet they observe one and not the other :confused:

SWEDISH BLUE:

:lol::lol:

Is this thread giving anybody a sense of deja vu?

OnlyAlan:

SWEDISH BLUE:

I got done on A303 at 57 in Hampshire, so do not go by that :open_mouth:

OnlyAlan:

SWEDISH BLUE:

It is only a guideline though, police officers can use discretion, I know people who have been done for 32 in a 30 zone.

To be honest although not out of the question I’d say you are pretty unlikely to ever get done for 56 on a D/C as it’d be considered ‘low risk’, but I certainly wouldn’t trust the 10%+2 guideline when it comes to S/C’s. Unless the road is quiet, wide and straight (and it’s not a fixed camera), a lot of coppers would probably be able to justify in their head doing you for just a few notches over and many drivers have the penalty points to show for it.

Option 3! :laughing: and it’s 8% + 1mph :sunglasses: PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

As soon as I’m on a D/C I’m to the limiter :wink:

On a sc I normally go at about 45, unless the posted limit is 40, in which case I’ll stick to 40. As somebody said earlier, if there are people sitting behind me I’ll normally wait until they’re clear on a dc before I go up to 50-52 ish, or if it’s a short stretch I’ll just keep at the same speed. If it’s a long sc, and I’m getting a queue, I’ll normally pull over every few miles a let them get past. I’m never usually pushed that tight for time

Just to add my two cents for what it’s worth…

If I’m in no rush whatsoever, I drive between 40-45 MPH s/c, but make a point of maintaining that if I encounter a short D/C section (so I am more predictable to traffic, especially other trucks, who wish to overtake), or if entering a long section of D/C, I’ll maintain my speed for a mile or so then gradually increase once the peeps who want to get past have gotten past :sunglasses:

talking of the A40 at monmouth, last year after 26years driving artics i managed to get done on the ganarew hill just outside of monmouth, overhead camera at 56 MPH ( you can add all the 10 % and calculations you want it didnt count for sh** for me !!)

then in the same week done at 49MPH at one of the famous " you should know better" places, Evesham by pass two lane section with 10 cars trying to pass me where theres no space and i,m driving on the inside white line ( funny but no camera for those overtakers with traffic approaching towards us !!)

i had a nice glow all about me when the boss handed them over to me but the west mercia police, who are pro-active in there government induced cost cutting inititive did send both in one envelope !!!

It’s either small willy syndrome where they hate to be overtaken or it’s because they get the horn by deliberately stopping as much people as possible from overtaking.

If you’re quick enough to start overtaking whilst they’re still accelerating you can bet your left testicle that they’ll be glancing between the mirror and speedo several times in the hope they’ll reach 56 mph before you do. The look of disappointment on their face when I sail past in a N. Irish truck is priceless.