Some proper Scania's

Been sorting through some of my old stuff (as you do) and scanned some old Scania brochures.

This the oldest one I have,dated 1968,check out those mirrors…

Even the cab interior was ahead of it’s time…

The earliest copy of Scania Worldwide I have,dated 1976,which is ironic as when I drove for Van Maanen in the early 90’s we used to load at the AiA factory all the time…

…it also included this article…

Some pics from later years…

And I even have the original price list with this accessories brochure…

…and in my garage I have a pair of original Scania front wheel trims,with the old style logo which I had on a 111.

Blimey,the stuff you hoard eh!

Could’nt agree with you more, the LB cab was definately the best Scania ever built, a pity about the rust on most of them though :frowning:
I had a 141 and for a while used to sub out to George Hammond, running out of their Sittingbourne - Gas Lane, yard and also out of Dover.
Used to do a lot of Chipboard for them, it came over from Belgium on Hammonds 30ft Tri Axle flats, I did’nt lose any but I saw quite a few that had tipped over on Roundabouts :blush:

I bought it from a garage out in the Fens but it used to be owned by DC Ball from Newmarket, and sold it to a chap from Northamptonshire ( I think :confused: ) who used to cart bagged aggregates.
I’d like to know what happened to it, anyone out there Know?

Hi KW, yes there cab was ahead of its time, even the bunk has a piece cut out of it like the new R series cab.How did they know they would still be doing that 40 years later :laughing:

How about this one then?

The first “1” series Asian Transport bought after the Vabis’s they had.
This one driven by one Raymond Scutts and co-piloted by John Frost (he took the pic) parked near Nis, Yugoslavia on route to Tehran.
She was only a few months old here and went on to have roof rack and ladders fitted later, which made her a “proper Scania” :wink:

KW:

That’s interesting. I remember collecting those brochures from the Scania stand at the Suffolk show as a kid - which really annoyed the sales reps as hordes of kids ran off with all their promo materials!

Here is a current advert in trucktrader, posted by Keltruck in Burton on Trent, for a mint condition 1968 LB110 - the price to you sir? A reasonable £450,000!!! (Shurely Shome Mishtake!)

chorcheela:
KW:

That’s interesting. I remember collecting those brochures from the Scania stand at the Suffolk show as a kid - which really annoyed the sales reps as hordes of kids ran off with all their promo materials!

Here is a current advert in trucktrader, posted by Keltruck in Burton on Trent, for a mint condition 1968 LB110 - the price to you sir? A reasonable £450,000!!! (Shurely Shome Mishtake!)

This Scania has been shown at the Classic Commercial Show at Gaydon a couple of times.
IIRC it was used by MIRA for test of some sort, and has very few miles on the clock. Keltruck bought it from them.
If you’re a wizard with photoshop, the sign in the windscreen will tell you exactly what justifies the price tag.

It doesn’t look that immaculate,especially with that paint scheme.

This is how it should look…

And here’s a proper T-cab Scania…

And I had a new 112 with the blue cab on Goodway’s,it was the dog’s danglies…

Ferrymasters ran loads of these P-cab 112’s out of Ipswich…

lemonmouth:
Used to do a lot of Chipboard for them, it came over from Belgium on Hammonds 30ft Tri Axle flats, I did’nt lose any but I saw quite a few that had tipped over on Roundabouts :blush:

]

How I remember that. We, Cheverall’s of Luton and later C.W. House from the Cotswolds, used to do that stuff as well. We triple decked the trailers in Husk’s yard, ran them over to Ostende then spent the week loading and shunting them onto the ferry. Nightmare stuff, one load I had slipped just on the camber soon after I left the factory and I nursed it back to the dock where a forkie with a giant machine pushed it all back straight before I put it on the boat.
Another time, arriving by car at the top of Jubilee way I watched spellbound as one coming towards me went over on the roundabout by the Dover Motel. It seemed to be in freeze frame slow motion (a bit like that load of timber the black woman rolled in the film Convoy), and we stopped, transfixed and shouting through the windscreen at the 2 hitch hikers standing with their backs to it. :open_mouth: They couldn’t hear us of course, but at the last minute they turned, saw it, and started the agonising slow motion run to safety. :unamused: They made it, and so did the driver who, when we arrived running, was sitting tangled up in blankets and suitcase on the nearside window with the windscreen lying, unbroken, on the grass a few feet away.

Not really hi-jacking a Scania thread, the only ones I drove in anger were LBs. The first was an 80. I had been driving an Atki for Midlands Storage and everyone was saying why couldn’t we have posh Scans like everyone else was getting? Because Transport Developement won’t buy foreign. Then why have Stirland’s got a couple of Scanias then?
Must have been too cheap to refuse because later when I did Stirland’s Bristol night trunk and my Atki was on a different run they gave me one of those beasts. I drove it the first night and refused the second. Freezing cold, (yes even worse than the Atki) and barely able to pull lightweight Boot’s loads they gave in and gave me back the Big A. :sunglasses:

Later I briefly had a 110 couchette belonging to Rodney G. Closs of Bulwell and that was a different prospect altogether. I was genuinely reluctant to go back to my Guy Big J, a motor I had been ■■■■■■■ after for a long time.

Spardo - Did Cheveralls work out of the Whitbread depot in Luton with MAN units and park in AW’s yard? I vaguely remember them but not too sure :confused:
Back to the Chipboard… I remember following one of Matthew Cornish’s wagons as he was sweeping on to the M25 off of the A2 one afternoon, I thought he was going a bit too rapid and lo and behold it went over and just as you say in slow motion - just like Convoy!! It slid down the grass verge and went everywhere, I think it was still sliding when I got to the toll booth !
A hell of a mess.
When Hammond’s stopped the continental work, It was taken on by Lister International from Dover who still do the work I beleive, when they started they bought a load of old Cobelfret Flats - Without Rope Hooks! and expected the owner drivers to reload them with waste paper - without Rope Hooks! I think they are still using the same Flatbeds to this day, I saw one loaded with Bricks a few weeks ago!!

lemonmouth:
Spardo - Did Cheveralls work out of the Whitbread depot in Luton with MAN units and park in AW’s yard? I vaguely remember them but not too sure :confused:
!

You got it, blue and grey if I remember right, been trying to get a photo out of Ash for ages but got him stumped :laughing: .
He had about half a dozen and gave up the continental twice because of the permit situation. The first time was when my brother had been trying for ages to get a continental job and was at the end of his tether when he got to Ian’s to be told ‘we’ve just given up international work’. He thought ‘sod it, I need the money’ and signed on. His first job was to Belgium and France. :unamused: And off they went again. :laughing: When I joined later they were already doing Italy on a regular basis.
But the permit situation was a nightmare, so he gave it up again and sold out to C.H.Howse from Cheltenham who launched straight into it never having been much further than Glos. in the company’s 100 odd year history. They hired Pete Farbrace, the old TM, who then hired all of us. Lasted about 6 months before they stopped just before bancruptcy :unamused: :laughing:
I think it was Ian Cheverall’s yard but when he stopped the haulage he leased the place to Whitbread for the storage.

Remember Boots well Spardo the old nissan hut storage West Hallam used to run into there regular with my posh Volvo 86 then later 88 probably about the same time as you worked there 1974–80.