Fg hammond/winton transport/robert doig

take ya pic of the names there all on this scania :confused: but non of em ive heard mentioned by the m/e boys any stories

pics from www.euro-wheels.com

Carl, sorry I cant be of much help with regard to info about the above pics but you definatly jogged a brain cell when i saw them!! :smiley:

i remember seeing that set up in Dover once sometime in the mid 80`s, it caught my eye first because of the colour (a nice dirty green!!) but more so because of the fuel tanks spaced along the side of the trailor and then the “North Africa” tag on the side of the tilt cover. Cant remember what was pulling it, just remember the unusual fuel tanks and trailor colour.

Like Carl says, can anyone shed some light on it?

Harry??..you did quite a bit of North Africa!! :wink:

Im taking an uneducated guess at the phone number of Hammond International and came up with Norwich area for the trailer.

Could Robert Doig be related to the potato grower in Perth and Brian Winton from Turriff be the owner of the Scania or it may be Winton from Tranent.

Isn;t Google Brill? :wink:

Hi There the winton transport scania 141 was Rab Doigs from tranent east lothian in its day this was a cracking looking motor. I used to see this truck about alot as i stay not to far away from rab he did alot of middle east work then moved onto a scania 143 which he was running back and forword to Austria with. The trailer was well setup for the distance work with the extra tanks.Rab always kept a smart looking truck. Hope this helps with some info.Cheers Al

cheers for that al :wink:

Hi Carl, the scania was as said driven and owned by Rab Doig. He traded as Winton transport prior to and during his M/E days. He later when running a weekly service to Austria had Scotspedition on his trailer.
The tilt in the pictures was made by NRK from yorkshire, although i have been in their yard a few times i cannot remember where in yorkshire it was.
They used to fit four 400 liter saddle tanks two on each side all interconected to an electric pump which was then used to fill the road tanks. all the tap handles were drilled so that they could be customs sealed.