Sky Costs

have any of you got Sky? i am with virgin at the moment and it is starting to do my head in.
is sky really better?
are the HD channels all they are cracked up to be?
what is thier broadband like?
do you get free evening and weekend calls?

how much is it to get sky and a bt landline installed? i am thinking of changing over for the HD channels and wondered how much it would cost to get the lot done in a oner.

i have had a look at the sky website and it is so confusing for a numpty like me!

any help is appreciated

I’ve never had virgin, but have plenty of friends that have and advise me not to touch it.

I’ve currently got Sky+ with HD, upgraded a couple of months ago from the standard box during the £75 offer.

I also have the basic broadband - which I think is up to 2mb but my local exchange won’t currently go over 1mb! I have no complaints with the service, and on the one occasion the service was down I found their technical support very knowledgeable and helpful.

I also have the Sky Talk package with free w/e & evening calls, although the line rental is still with BT.

I don’t have the Movies or Sport channels, but all the others, I think it’s called the entertainment pack.

I think the only downside is the current channel menu on Sky is not as good as virgin - ie you can’t continue watching a program while looking at the menu’s, and although you can scroll though whats on later on the current or other channels you can’t get the information on another program without going into the TV planner menu, hence loosing what you were watching.

However if you do a google on sky EPG you will see some screen shots of the new planner guide that it alleged to be available sometime in the New Year.

For the Telephone, Broadband, TV (inc Sky+ & HD) I pay around £32 monthly.

thanks for that ski. most informative.

i will await some more replies before i make an informed decision.

how much is the sports package by the way? do you know?

I have the same as the above but with the max internet which is good and the free calls, which includes international landline numbers and US cell numbers and i have no complaints.

I had virgin also and the menu system is better and the deals i found there where cheaper, the basic bt line is £9 per month

sky is finished, freeview + is the way to go, it wont be long before all the channels come on to it, who wants to pay sky all that money to watch the same films over and over again and extra for the sports

If you want all the movie channels and the sport then get Sky. If the HD channels are a big draw and the £10 a month doesn’t bother you then get sky. If it is just the basic package you want then it is about the same price to be with either one. I am having Virgin TV installed on Saturday. I am already a customer for their broadband and telephone and since I got rid of the movies (you really will not miss them ever) and the only sport I watch is the Rugby League I have decided to put all my eggs in the Virgin basket.

A little toy which has saved me even more money is a tesco internet phone for £55. I now pay £2.95 a month for all my telephone calls with no line rental. I have the V+ box (which has some HD but not much) with the XL package and the 20 mb broadband for £43 a month. If I took the basic Sky package I would need to pay sky £47 to get a slower broadband speed and then pay £11 a month to BT then I would have to pay for some telephone calls to.

The best way to decide what package you want is to decide what you need and at what speed then ring each provider and see what offer they can give you.

When you speak to Virgin dial the usual number (150) but choose the options that lead you along the line of cancelling the virgin services. These people work in the retentions department and they have the best deals and they have a brain in their head so they will help you. Tell them you are considering Sky because they have a full HD service or some other rubbish and they will find you the best deal for what you need.

i wish i did have sky.
we moved house in august,where we had sky.i used to complain about the forty quid a month it cost.
our new house is surrounded by big trees,right in the path of where the dish needs to point.sky sent their"special heights team"to try to erect my dish on the chimney breast,however they failed to do so(i dont think they tried hard enough).
our only alternative at the moment is bt vision,which is absolute pants.
i will never complain about sky again. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

buck73:
i wish i did have sky.
we moved house in august,where we had sky.i used to complain about the forty quid a month it cost.
our new house is surrounded by big trees,right in the path of where the dish needs to point.sky sent their"special heights team"to try to erect my dish on the chimney breast,however they failed to do so(i dont think they tried hard enough).

A friend of main had the same problem he solve it by putting it on the shed at the bottom where thee was no trees the cable was long but it work fine if you have a garage and its away from trees try that to it may help you.

Del

I have SKY HD and got the full package, it costs £57 a month and in my opinion its worth it. If you like football then the HD is brilliant. The movies are good as well. The hd is worth and extra tenner if you have all the channels i think.

delboytwo:

buck73:
i wish i did have sky.

A friend of main had the same problem he solve it by putting it on the shed at the bottom where thee was no trees the cable was long but it work fine if you have a garage and its away from trees try that to it may help you.
cheers,i will get them back out next time they ring to ask"why have i cancelled my subscription?"to try a bit harder.

Del

If you want a good internet connection look no further than Virgin, if its tv then Sky for the HD.

Noonne in this country can come anywhere near Virgin/NTL for speed and reliability with the cable internet.

jammymutt:
If you want a good internet connection look no further than Virgin, if its tv then Sky for the HD.

Noonne in this country can come anywhere near Virgin/NTL for speed and reliability with the cable internet.

I’ll second that, I’ve got virgin and looking forward to 50 Mb bb later this year, I notice that virgin are strangely quiet regarding new HD channels, Only BBC HD is available. You can rent some films in HD but becareful as there is a little con going on, films made prior to 2007 in “HD” aren’t really HD they artificially reduce the bandwith/rendering on the original and increase it for the so called HD version :open_mouth: . I’m seriously thinking of changing my TV package, especially as a Sky+ HD box for free is on offer :smiley: .

Stick with freeview,

And forget the sports package,
my advice is get of your backside and play a sport yourself, :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless your just into watching boys in shorts :question:

Macka Packa:
Stick with freeview,

And forget the sports package,
my advice is get of your backside and play a sport yourself, :stuck_out_tongue:

Unless your just into watching boys in shorts :question:

Or your into running about with them :wink:.

kemaro:
sky is finished, freeview + is the way to go, it wont be long before all the channels come on to it, who wants to pay sky all that money to watch the same films over and over again and extra for the sports

All very well if you’re in a good reception area. Didn’t have a problem with my old set, but once it blew up and I upgraded to a fancy one it wouldn’t work at all even with an aerial booster.

I have Sky, with the sports package 'cos I likes me cricket, only probs we have are when it’s windy we have trouble getting BBC for some reason. I do begrudge putting money in Murdoch’s pocket but overall the service is good.