Short Term GIT Insurance

Anyone know anywhere that will do short term Goods In Transit insurance? I’m after 25k of insurance for a month and would rather not have to pay a full year if I don’t have to.

TIA,
Paul

Not sure but I enquired about putting a truck on a short-term insurance. Basically, I wanted to buy a wagon, bring it back and then lay it up for a month or two before putting it on the road.

I was told it wasn’t possible by my broker, only Norwich Union offered anything even slightly suitable and it wasn’t available to anyone who wasn’t an NU customer already.

Might be different for what you want but they don’t seem to like the hassle and paperwork involved in a short-term policy. Best of luck anyhow.

tell them you want a full years insurance and will pay in 12 monthly instalments :wink:

TruckNet UK will shortly have a broker who will be available to give general advice on matters like this, (Coming soo ™) :laughing: in the meantime I asked them to l;ook at this and their repsonse is as follows…

Unfortunately, what the correspondent will be expecting to pay for one months insurance won’t be accommodated by an insurer, when an annual policy can be purchased for around £300. It’s not worth their while with cost of issuing policies and employing people to process it.

It would be interesting to get some more background to the enquiry as existing hauliers tend to have cover in place, or is this a one off contract in which case I would have thought the motor insurance would have been just as problematic!

The motor insurance is included with the van I’m hiring, I’ve checked that. I’ve managed to get a 25k GIT policy for just shy of 200quid for the full year and at that the job is still worth doing so it isn’t a show stopper I was just wondering if I could save a few quid by getting a short term policy.

Thanks for asking him Rikki.

Paul

repton:
The motor insurance is included with the van I’m hiring, I’ve checked that. I’ve managed to get a 25k GIT policy for just shy of 200quid for the full year and at that the job is still worth doing so it isn’t a show stopper I was just wondering if I could save a few quid by getting a short term policy.

Thanks for asking him Rikki.

Paul

Just check the insurance does cover Hire and Reward, van hire is normally just basic motor insurance.

Ben9:
Just check the insurance does cover Hire and Reward, van hire is normally just basic motor insurance.

I’m going to double check before I confirm the booking but reading the small print of the terms and conditions the list of things that are excluded from the insurance includes (amongst other things) “carrying passengers for hire or reward” but has no mention of the same for goods. I also know one other person who has hired a van from them for the same job and told them exactly what he is doing with it and they didn’t seem to have a problem with it so I am fairly confident that when I check the outcome will be the right one.

Here are the T+C’s, if anyone can spot something I have missed on this one please let me know - the last thing I want is to be driving without insurance.

europcar.com/EBE/module/rend … erms-popup

Paul

In the T’s & C’s

5.4.1 In the event of confiscation, theft or accident

Last paragraph says
“Furthermore Europcar will have no responsibility for loss, theft, robbery or damage of whatever nature relating to objects and/or utensils transported or which are found in the Vehicle including, in particular, baggage and/or goods.”

So I read that to say if you have 25 grands worth of goods inside it, your on your own, so perhaps it may be a point to clarify.

Section 7 Insurance is worded more towards hiring a car and the passengers that may be in it , and mentions nothing relating to the planned use you have.

To be sure perhaps you ask the queston as it appears to be basic insurance, ask about GITand try to get it written in somewhere, if it is something they offer…

All the best

TC

You are right it doesn’t say you are not covered BUT it doesn’t say you are will be best to get it in writing as TC says.

How come you are renting from Europcar I would have thought that there were cheaper companies.

tc trans:
So I read that to say if you have 25 grands worth of goods inside it, your on your own, so perhaps it may be a point to clarify.

Indeed, they certainly don’t insure the goods in the vehicle, hence me asking in this thread about getting a short term GIT policy as it is a requirement of the contract :slight_smile:

Paul

Ben9:
You are right it doesn’t say you are not covered BUT it doesn’t say you are will be best to get it in writing as TC says.

At the start of section 7 it says “All the vehicles in Europcar’s fleet are insured against Bodily Injury and/or Property Damage that you might inflict on a third party as a result of an accident involving the Vehicle” and nowhere else in the document does it sat that my intended use invalidates this so I’m pretty sure I’m OK. Plus a company as big as that with expensive lawyers writing the T+C’s would certainly state that hire or reward was not permitted if that was what they intended (I know a couple of others I’ve looked at do specifically exclude it). As I said before though, I will be checking before I commit.

Ben9:
How come you are renting from Europcar I would have thought that there were cheaper companies.

The only cheaper ones I’ve found don’t provide Hire+Reward insurance and to be honest they’re not much cheaper anyway. Europcar4Vans will do a long wheelbase high roof van for under 200quid a week including VAT which I think is a pretty good price.

Paul