screwed up

i’ve

Before taking a printout to check driving time you must let the VU record 1 minute of another activity otherwise the period you have just driven isn’t included. It makes sense because it obviously can’t tell you the total driving time done until it knows if the current minute will be driving or not.

ashbyspannerman:
i’ve done three 10 hour drives this week! monday and tuesday were long drives so i ran two tens to fit it all in, on wednesday i had a few short jobs, i lost track of how many hours i’d driven so pulled into wetherby services to check, i parked up and requested a printout, 6 hours 25 driving, i was aiming to park around chesterfield so that left me plenty, so i headed on and when i parked up got my final printout, 9 hours 25! i thought i’d been delayed enough waiting to back into a slot at wetherby, obviousley not! i’d had a break coming over the A66 and when i took my first printout at wetherby that part of the journey hadn’t registered! i saved both prinouts to show if there’s any problems. these digi’s are so much easier in many ways, but they do seem to be very slow sometimes!

When you are going to take a print out you need to wait a minute or two after stopping for it to total your driving up correctly. Its only a small fixed penalty if you’re pulled up and its found, i wouldn’t worry about it !!

if you are stopped and the guy asks for your card i would fess up there n then and say what happend, as they say it a small fp but if you tell em then you aint held it till he found it so he might just give you a warning and let you off with it

Coffeeholic:
Before taking a printout to check driving time you must let the VU record 1 minute of another activity otherwise the period you have just driven isn’t included. It makes sense because it obviously can’t tell you the total driving time done until it knows if the current minute will be driving or not.

that’s what i thought i had done, when i pulled into the services there were a couple of wagons trying to park and i thought the time i’d been stationary waiting for them would have been enough!i know what you’re saying about the unit not knowing if that period is finished but surely modern technology should be able to assimilate all the relevent information in the time it takes to request a printout!

scotstrucker:
if you are stopped and the guy asks for your card i would fess up there n then and say what happend, as they say it a small fp but if you tell em then you aint held it till he found it so he might just give you a warning and let you off with it

fessing up is no prob, after i realised what i’d done i took a 12 hour rest and today drove less than 8 , i’ve noted it in my diary with all the relevant printouts, showing it was a genuine mistake and not done for monetary gain!

What will taking a 12 hour rest achieve??

I’m fairly certain I know the answer…

garnerlives:
What will taking a 12 hour rest achieve??

I’m fairly certain I know the answer…

Nothing legal wise but it could show it was done by mistake and not for any gain. If it was done for gain he would be more likely off after 9.

Hours offences have to be “current” to be given a fixed penalty, that is to say you have to be continuing the offence when checked. If you have had a daily rest since the offence it is not current but can of course be prosecuted in court.

It’s the same with 4.5 hours offences. If you drive for 6 hours then take 45 mins rest then are checked by VOSA later that day, they can prosecute through the courts but not issue a FP as the offence is not current.

It’s all in the ESP people, anyone can read it!

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Trans … y_0909.pdf

trumplesneaker:
Hours offences have to be “current” to be given a fixed penalty, that is to say you have to be continuing the offence when checked. If you have had a daily rest since the offence it is not current but can of course be prosecuted in court.

It’s the same with 4.5 hours offences. If you drive for 6 hours then take 45 mins rest then are checked by VOSA later that day, they can prosecute through the courts but not issue a FP as the offence is not current.

It’s all in the ESP people, anyone can read it!

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Trans … y_0909.pdf

Not according to page 9 which says "For the time being it is not possible to deal with offences committed prior to the date of inspection by the issue of fixed penalty notices."

That’s what I’m saying! If his 3 x 10 offence was not current and was prior to the date of inspection, it cannot be dealt with by FP, only by prosecution.

If you mean the 4.5 offence is on the date of inspection and therefore not prior to the date, I see what you’re saying but it’s still not the case. The offence has to be current and if you’ve had your 45 minute break it’s finished with - as stated in the ESP.

Trust me…