Digi mistake what should i do

before leaving the yard tonite i did i printout to check my remaining driving time, 7hr 31min hours so far leaving 2hr 29min on a 10hr. but when i got parked up after doing another 2hr 14min my printout shows i’ve actually driven 10hr 28 mins how can i be reading the printout so badly? and what should i write on the back of the printout to explain myself

I’m not sure about what to write on the back. Maybe “I made a mistake” and just throw yourself on the mercy of the court :wink:

But about reading it wrongly - When you took the printout to check, had you sat long enough to allow the machine to agree you had stopped ? Sounds like it could be a silly question, but if you “stop - handbrake - neutral - - - print” the most recent driving period won’t be included in the total at the bottom. It’s an easy mistake to make.

About all you can do is write a full explanation on the printout, you’re company will want to keep a printout when they next download from the driver card so best to take 2 and keep one yourself in case you get stopped.

I’m not 100% sure about this but I believe that part of the record that’s in the VDU is when printouts are taken, if this is the case then perhaps it would be wise to include in the manual entry the approximate time that you took the printout to check your driving time, at least it shows that you tried to check your driving time.

As long as you have a reasonably clean record I doubt you have much to worry about but best try to be more careful from now on :wink:

You simply write “miscalculation of driving hours”. And the actual hours driven to show you are aware, on the back of the printout. As long as you don’t do it every day, week or month, it is a severe mistake. but you will be aware of it in future.

I never do a print out during a shift, just read the times off the display, and be aware of the clock ticking over into the next minute.

thanks for the advice. What it appears i’ve done is stop put it on break and do a print out too quick so it’s still been recording driving!
Oh well we live and learn.

ignore tthe digiAND BUY AN HOUR GUARD if you go wrong with that you shoulnt be on road :laughing:

topmixer11:
ignore tthe digiAND BUY AN HOUR GUARD if you go wrong with that you shoulnt be on road :laughing:

they won’t match, as the digi makes it up as it goes along :unamused:

topmixer11:

i totaly agree with topmixer11… this is the best devise i have ever spent money on… ( just need to remember to change to drive from other work sometimes lol . )

topmixer11:

And when you get checked by VOSA which will they check the hour guard or the driver card ?

There’s a very simple answer to this problem and Mr B has already hit on it, learn more about the way the digital tachograph works, and learn from your mistakes :wink:

Good luck.

i already have an hour guard which told me i was short of time but i chose to trust the digitac!!! i thought i must’ve not switch the hour guard over which gave me the discrepancy.
one think i don’t understand if i leave the digi on poa for over 30 mins it reset the driving time to zero even though no break as been taken is this normal?

Mr B:
one think i don’t understand if i leave the digi on poa for over 30 mins it reset the driving time to zero even though no break as been taken is this normal?

Yes, it incorrectly counts POA as break. It will also allow any combination of 2 or 3 periods (of at least 15 minutes) of break or POA to reset the clock instead of the legal 15 minutes followed by 30.

Coffeeholic:

Mr B:

Yes, it incorrectly counts POA as break. It will also allow any combination of 2 or 3 periods (of at least 15 minutes) of break or POA to reset the clock instead of the legal 15 minutes followed by 30.

does that mean if i put it on poa i don’t need to take a break? i ilike digi cards but even i could’ve designed it better

Mr B:
does that mean if i put it on poa i don’t need to take a break?

On a single manned vehicle POA doesn’t count as break or rest so the answer is that you still need to have the proper breaks.

Mr B:

Coffeeholic:

Mr B:

No, POA isn’t break. Best idea is don’t use POA at all, assuming you get paid for breaks. If a period qualifies as POA then it qualifies as break because the requirements are less for break than POA.

Coffeeholic:

Mr B:

Coffeeholic:

Mr B:

No, POA isn’t break. Best idea is don’t use POA at all, assuming you get paid for breaks. If a period qualifies as POA then it qualifies as break because the requirements are less for break than POA.

thanks for the help coffe

Mr B:
thanks for the advice. What it appears i’ve done is stop put it on break and do a print out too quick so it’s still been recording driving!
Oh well we live and learn.

yep,its an easy and unwitting thing to do.a few drivers at our place have come a cropper like that.always let 1 minute lapse before asking for a printout,or your last duty will not be accurate.