run off lanes

you know what i mean by run off lanes. there used to be loads of them about but now the only one i see is on the end of the dartford bridge.
how many are there left :question:
and has anyone ever used one in anger so to speak.
guess what. i dont think they have them in holland :wink:

There is one at Staxton near Scarborough.

Where else do you think the caravans can park for a cup of tea? :stuck_out_tongue:

I had to use the one on the A259 dropping into Eastbourne. Late seventies in a old D series, full load up and the brakes overheated. Slows you down really quickly. Definitely a brown trouser job though!

I know that one at the end of the dartford bridge, had to use it one time when some idiot and his wobble box scared me a little bit. Next stop was to change my underware :blush:

I know of two that are on the decent of Dunsford Hill on the A38 from Torquay to Exeter, towards the exeter end where it meets the A30 at the bottom. Ive seen a few vehicles in the sands there… :unamused: One car nearly buried itself alive…

There are a few on the “Heads of the Valley” road(A465), the’re in a bit of a state though.

cassius:
I know that one at the end of the dartford bridge, had to use it one time when some idiot and his wobble box scared me a little bit. Next stop was to change my underware :blush:

aren’t there some coming down the hill into St Austell ( from Bugle direction -I forgot the road number ? ) on the newish road with all those [zb] roundabouts…

theres some in the trowbride=warminster area i seem to remember, i lost my brakes with a bulker full of coal headed to blue circle (in wiltshire, trowbridge?) many moons back on that bank, i missed the run offs tho, it was too late and had to run the red light, thank christ nobody was coming.

placidcasual:
There are a few on the “Heads of the Valley” road(A465), the’re in a bit of a state though.

Silent sixth from D&M’s top of the hill past the drum & monkey Placid! :laughing:

“john raymonds men
came down the glen
just like the queens own lancers
2 out of 10 were experienced men
the reast was a bunch of chancers” :smiley:

Aren’t there gravel trap type ones going down the hill into Dover :question:

Theres one halfway down Fish Hill on A44 Evesham /Broadway. Saw a metro sitting in it a few months back :slight_smile:

There used to be one as you drop down into Hemel Hempstead, I don’t know if it’s still there. :question:

Over here there is one Eastbound on the Mass Pike at the bottom of the six mile mountain. I dread to think how fast a truck would be going if the brakes failed at the top and you travelled all the way down, I have gone down with an empty trailer an the Jake Brake engaged and still touched 75mph, At that speed down a mountain it gets very scary when a 120ft long double passes you doing about 85mph :open_mouth:
And NO :exclamation: I am not telling porkies either, it is a regular occurence :laughing:

there’s 2 of these on the hill leading down from cape le fern to folkestone(old A20) and one from hawkinge leadin into folkestone(A260)…they dont get used much now since the new road into dover…but with them hills …you never no when yr gonna need them…

The only ones I can think of are on the A6 near Matlock and another as you drop into Burnley from Rawtenstall. Never had to use one thank zebidee! :open_mouth:

Is that the Wolfie that used to have the “loving” relationship with John Toulson?

Aye, I was that fan :laughing:

I’ve never laughed as much as the day you ran full tilt up the infield at Hartlepool threatening murder to Mr Toulson. They were cracking days at Hartlepool and Aycliffe in the late seventies and early eighties.

Ah, wrong end of the stick :blush:

I’m not Len, just a fan. I started using the nickname on a stox forum cos there was another Wayne (my name) and it’s just stuck.

Mr Wolfenden, short tempered■■? Can’t imagine that for one minute :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: btw saw a flat with Wolfenden haulage of Colne a bit back, do you know if it’s his?

Could well be, Len hailed from Barrowford which is a stones throw from Colne

there’s a couple on Porlock Hill and Countisbury Hill ( on the A39 Somerset/Devon border )

mind you - they put a 17t weight limit on there now :wink: :wink: :wink: