run off lanes

Wheel Nut:
There is one at Staxton near Scarborough.

Where else do you think the caravans can park for a cup of tea? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut,

Youā€™re right about that. Iā€™ve seen a car (cant remember if it had a caravan or not) parked in the run off lane on Staxton Hill with a picnic table and chairs out with the family enjoying a meal!

Iā€™ve seen quite a few of these run off lanes recently, but I cant for the life of me remember where I saw them, there was about 3 on one stretch hilly and winding road. But they were almost invisible and overgrown with weeds and nettles and so on, if it wasnā€™t for the signs indecating that they were there, youā€™d hardly notice them.

Thereā€™s one on the A35 west of Bridport (Chideock Hill), always a few wheel marks in there.

Denis F:
thereā€™s a couple on Porlock Hill and Countisbury Hill ( on the A39 Somerset/Devon border )

mind you - they put a 17t weight limit on there now :wink: :wink: :wink:

yeah, and a caravan restriction. However, when I was on for Macs on class 1 I had a drop in Bristol and then the next one was in Barnstaple. Ah, straight along the A39 thinks I and off I goesā€¦ :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . That road demands respect in a car and to take an artic down it is just plain stupid :open_mouth: :grimacing:

I remember in my younger days when we knew better :grimacing: we managed to egg on our mate who was driving to drive into the run off on Staxton ā€œfor a laughā€. The result was hilarious. We flew in at about 35mph and the car dropped off the end of the tarmac like a piano out of a tower block window and then suddenly the inside of the car went dark and we abruptly came to a halt. The car has buried itself firmly in the sand (it was a Metro :grimacing: ) and the arse end was up in the air about 45 degrees :grimacing:. We were wetting ourselves laughing :exclamation: .

There was no hope in hell of getting it out by reversing and in the end we had to get a tow-truck out which cost us a bloody fortune. :grimacing:

Good olā€™ days :grimacing:

Thereā€™s is indeed one on the A465 heads of the Valley road as you drop down to the traffic lights to turn for Merthyr. I came down there one day and there was an artic petrol tanker sitting at the bottom buried in it to the top of the tyres,he must have a nerve, the lane only seemed about a 100 yds long
regards derek

I can think of several downgrades here in the states that have them. Many are in the west, in the Rockies and along the Sierra Nevada range, but there are several in the eastern Appalachain range.

One that springs to mind is the long downgrade near Mount Airy, NC on I77. This downgrade goes on for miles, and it actually has 2 ramps.

The one that scared me the most, though, is the one on I70 eastbound just east of the Eisenhower tunnel, heading toward Denver. This ramp was a downhill ramp, using only a thick layer of pea gravel to slow a runaway truck down. Legend has it that trucks can and have overshot the end.

Seem to remember some, but couldnā€™t say where. Maybe the chuffing great hill (same hight as the M62 motorway hill) at Myrther Tidvyll (sorry all you sheep worriers for the pronunciation). Must enunciate my word better :laughing: .

arenā€™t there some coming down the hill into St Austell ( from Bugle direction -I forgot the road number ? ) on the newish road with all those [zb] roundaboutsā€¦
[/quote]

Yes Denis you are right I forgot all about them and I live here, that road is the A391. There is also a fair sized lane on the A390 2/3rds of the way down the hill on the way into St Blazey west bound never seen it used but have seen picnicers brewing up there as it is a nice flat piece of tarmac at the start for them to set their chairs on and it always amazes me at their bravery or is it stupidity :astonished:

So, what would you do if the runoff lane you needed was having a family picnic on it? Do you kill them? Or do you dodge them and die yourself? Who would be at fault if you did use the runoff lane and squish them?

allikat:
So, what would you do if the runoff lane you needed was having a family picnic on it? Do you kill them? Or do you dodge them and die yourself? Who would be at fault if you did use the runoff lane and squish them?

Hand firmly on horn and point the truck at them. Iā€™m sure theyā€™d soon shift. If they didnā€™t, tough zebidee. Shouldnā€™t be there in the first place. Now youā€™re gonna say to me what if it was my family. I dunno, I would hope I wouldnā€™t be able to recognise them from that distance :open_mouth: . That said, they wouldnā€™t be stupid enough to have a picnic there in the first place.

So, what would you do if the runoff lane you needed was having a family picnic on it?

Maybe this?