Do these roads exist? (title edit)

when i was younger sure i remember driving down a road with parents it was

single carriageway each way and one lane in the middle which both sides could use for overtaking :open_mouth: aka a “suicide lane” :question: :question:

did i imagine it or does/did it exsist as not come across it driving my truck :question: :question: :confused: :confused: :confused:

cheers

There are parts of the A59 between Liverpool and Preston that have/had suicide lanes on. I used to use them when I travelled along that stretch in the early 90’s. I haven’t been that way for over 15 years, so they may have been removed by now. :wink:

there used to be a few like this mostly changed to wide two lane now due to as you say "suicide lane " was exactly that very dangerous type of road,
Not seen any like this for ages , last one that i saw was in France over 10 years ago,
Have they still got them?

Those type of roads did exist but, due to many head on collisions where both drivers thought they had the right of way, they have been replace by a wider single lane in each direction or have one lane confined by a solid white line allowing overtaking in one direction only.

There may be the odd one still around but there is unlikely to be many left - too unsafe for the ‘average’ motorist to cope with safely !!

there used to be a few stretches on the A47 heading out from Leicester towards Peterborough that were like that

shuttlespanker:
there used to be a few stretches on the A47 heading out from Leicester towards Peterborough that were like that

Billesdon by-pass WAS one - still has 3 lanes but overtaking only allowed when going uphill - downhill is seperated from the 2 uphill lanes by double white lines

MAP of road mentioned

There was one at Kings Lynn as well.

ROG:
Those type of roads did exist but, due to many head on collisions where both drivers thought they had the right of way, they have been replace by a wider single lane in each direction or have one lane confined by a solid white line allowing overtaking in one direction only.

There may be the odd one still around but there is unlikely to be many left - too unsafe for the ‘average’ motorist to cope with safely !!

That was probably a good idea Rog but they also wasted millions by putting in proper 4 lane dual carriageways and multi lane motorway intersections and then cut them down to single lane in either direction by using cross hatch seperating markings for no reason (A24 Leatherhead-Dorking which also suffered the indignity of a speed limit reduction from 70mph to 50mph and the M4-M25 Intersection for example).Nothing but sheer bloody minded political anti road use policies in action.

They were everywhere, the centre lane was a free for all :open_mouth: as said there were many head on crashes with drivers misjudging the oncoming speed.

I think the only one that resembles them now is the Aston Expressway.

The end of the suicide lane started the spread of double whites, ghost islands, and hatchings.

The A6 just south of Shap still had a section with sucide lanes the last time i used it about two years ago.

Im sure when I was a kid, a section of the A12 between Ipswich and Woodbridge was like this (about 1972 at a guess).

the a6 lancaster to garstang used to have them but they have gone now, the a65 at settle bypass still has one as does a59 at beamsley hill on way to blubberhouses

They were a lot of those around, even round this way.
They still do sort of exist in some places, where there two lanes one side and one on the other, but the single side can still use what is the middle lane or outside lane of the other side, as there are broken lines for a stretch, instead of double whites.
Hope that make sense.

A5 from Weedon to Towcester still has short stretches of “suicide lane” (but nowhere near as much as it used to be).

I remember them years ago, my father called them ‘Coroners Corridors’ though, not suicide lanes! We are not skilled enough to use them these days - Health and Safety I bet!

long stretches of the A5 were like this…certainly through the nuneaton area…from tamworth down to hinkley at one time.

The A465 Heads of the Valley road at Abergavenny definitely used to be like this, I remember driving down it. They have now made it 2 lanes half way down with a solid white line stopping anyone overtaking and creating a head on situation. It then narrows to 1 lane and the traffic coming the other way have 2 live lanes.

Just trying to find a road like the one described, that im pretty sure still exists. Its been about 4 years since i went that way though say may not do.

Found it, the A4112 Between Leominster and Clyro (Hay on Wye)

Theres a short strech of the A46 near Stratford -on -Avon like that

There is one at Magor too…

Parts of the A629 between Kirkburton and Penistone used to have them, for you “oldies” on here there was one particular short stretch on a rise between Kirkburton and Shepley before the “Black Power Wilson” bend. :blush: