refreshing

hi all i started my first class 1 job last week for stobarts n although im lovin the job my reversing is shockin n just cant seem to c an improvment after a week behind the wheel n im thinkin of takin a couple of hrs refresher course on reversing im wonderin if anyone has done this n did they feel the benefit for doin it im a good safe competent driver but i know this is a skill i need to improve on if im goin to get on in this industry :smiley:

its all in the positioning before you start to go backwards , stick with it fella it’ll come and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about . no point anyone trying to explain just practise and it’ll come .

if you get chance sit and watch a good shunter and see how he does most of the work long before he goes backwards , i know you’ll be going to all kinds of different places but you’ll get the drift of what i meen .
and i promise it will come to you and you’ll crack it … good luck . :smiley:

i know what i mean about posioninting i seem to get it right n then tie myself in knots gets so frustrating n im on nights so its mainly dark when im doin it obviously i have heard of the horror drops that involve blindside of the main rd etc i just feel i can only gain by goin on a refresher as i belive that reverse monouver on the test counts for â– â– â– â–  all n although its easy for me or anyone who has passed to say this i think a little more reversing whilst learnin wouldn go a miss

You can do a refresher if you think you will benefit form it but just take your time stop look get out if you have to & remember that we are not " Russian " ( as my instructor told me about the gear box )

You could always ask the shunter to help you tell them you quite new & just wanted some advise

thanks animal i have already had a word with my planners n told em take it easy on me try not to send me to stupidly tight places staright away in return when i get it down they can give me all the â– â– â– â–  work they want for a while :smiley:

Why pay to do it when you can get paid to do it?

If in doubt, find somewhere quiet and have a practice, but, tbh the practice at the site with all those people watching you (because they ALL KNOW that you’ve just passed) will be enough.

Seriously though, every driver ■■■■■ up a reverse now and then, and in the most part, nobody notices (as long as you don’t hit anything), so don’t think you’re the only 1 to use a shunt or than anyone will notice, because most people are too busy drinking their brews or watching their laptops to see what you’re playing about at.

I passed my class 1 18 months ago and was dreading the reversing as I was hopeless at it. :confused:
After a month I was wondering what the fuss was about, as others have said, dont worry it will just come without you even noticing. :wink:

Just don’t be afraid to stop and get out to have a look. One shunt or six doesn’t matter so long as you don’t hit anything.

Getting out and having a look gives you a chance to cool down and start again too.

As others have said, just keep going at it and you’ll be fine.

One day it will just click. Take everything as slowly as possible, its when you’re rushed that mistakes are made!

You don’t need to pay for it, backing onto a bay several times a day is all the training you need!

get the stobart trainer to help you out.

i have had 3 days with another lad n he was a top bloke taught me everythin i needed to know n if he didn know he found out for me but no matter how much he tried the reversin just didn gel i felt sorry for him he must have been frustrated to high heaven :imp: i think i know its somethin i have to find my own feet with just tryin to improve an fast so i can prove myself in the job its my first class 1 job n from what i been told i was lucky to b taken on n dont want em doubting me as im on a 3 month probation n can bin me off at anytime

Steve-o:

exellent idea,the one we had last week said his phone is covered in dust as nobody rings him,was nigh on begging us too ring him if we need help,give him a bell and see if hell come with you for a day/2 ,he didnt sound like he had a lot else to do.
as for your not getting better,clifton youve only been doing it for a week/how many reverses have you done,i probally do 1 or two a day,itll take time,but bell the trainer up/thats what there there for.
the one id bell is matt,did a cracking blind side reverse at that power station,id be asking for his help if it came to reversing

Steve-o:

from a post by ady1…
told today matt[top driver/t+t fame] has jacked driving and become a driver trainer,no doubt hes good ,but after his getting lost a few times and hitting that car i wonder if he really is the best candicate to be a driver trainer.

thats buggered that up then!

just take your time mate, dont rush it, it will come in the end.

kindle530:

Steve-o:

from a post by ady1…
told today matt[top driver/t+t fame] has jacked driving and become a driver trainer,no doubt hes good ,but after his getting lost a few times and hitting that car i wonder if he really is the best candicate to be a driver trainer.

yes but he needs advice on reversing :wink: matt seemed good at that,if clifton needed advice on map reading/finding places or how to not hit cars id not recomend matt :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ady1:

kindle530:

Steve-o:

from a post by ady1…

yes but he needs advice on reversing :wink: matt seemed good at that,if clifton needed advice on map reading/finding places or how to not hit cars id not recomend matt :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: or how not to turn around in the snow did u have your induction last week at widness

:laughing: fair point mate.
i’d take the advice given so far, take your time, dont rush, get out have a look etc.
If you stop at a motorway services with lots of spaces, try backing into a space between the lines rather than driving straight into a space. At the end of the day, practice will get you there and you will wonder what the fuss is about, p.s. the shunter motors will probably have a lot better steering lock than your truck, so they prob make it look easier.

cliffton 27:

ady1:

kindle530:

Steve-o:

from a post by ady1…

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: or how not to turn around in the snow did u have your induction last week at widness

no i had my cpc last week,but it felt like a induction,how to get in and out of cab,how to drop,pick up tri[i got a bollocking for not doing it his,tesco way],so there you go clifton,all these years driving,100,s/1000,s of dropping tris and i still cant get it right[well according to him], :wink:
it seems along time ago when i started driving/reversing and it still brings me out in a cold sweat,youll get there mate,itll take you time like it did for us all

My tip mate, and believe me it works wonders!

First off, you are still over steering, i can see this without seeing you, as we all do it, when we first start reversing. Anyone who says they aren’t are lying. get your position and just a simple turn on the wheel will be plenty to get you going in the right direction. Dont be scared to shunt either.
Simple rule, dont look a â– â– â– â–  take a shunt!!
Little inputs to the steering does wonders. No need to lock the steering off where you’ll be going.
Once you realize you hardly need to turn the wheel you’ll be fine

Good luck mate, reversing once you’ve understood it, it can make you look like a driving god :grimacing:

OP, where are you?
I heard about a ‘reversing course’ being conducted one Sunday in July, not sure where but I think it was about a ton. Somewhere near Worksop I think.

I’m crap at reversing and it winds me up no end. It’s not as if you can just go to say ‘Clacket Lane’ and practice or an RDC :unamused: :unamused:

TonyCBR:
My tip mate, and believe me it works wonders!

First off, you are still over steering, i can see this without seeing you, as we all do it, when we first start reversing. Anyone who says they aren’t are lying. get your position and just a simple turn on the wheel will be plenty to get you going in the right direction. Dont be scared to shunt either.
Simple rule, dont look a [zb] take a shunt!!
Little inputs to the steering does wonders. No need to lock the steering off where you’ll be going.
Once you realize you hardly need to turn the wheel you’ll be fine

Good luck mate, reversing once you’ve understood it, it can make you look like a driving god :grimacing:

Good tip to be fair. It’s amazing how a 2 inch turn can make the trailer move.