Any advice gratefully received, reversing poor

Need advice please, I passed class 1 in February, I did struggle with reversing a bit, I’m used to driving buses ,coaches and rigids so found everything apart from the reversing fairly straightforward, learnt to do test reverse by the numbers, lock on ,watch mark on trailer, up to yellow line, etc etc. wasn’t brilliant , but got it into the bay in one with no shunts.
Now out in the real world, have had two assesment drives for class 1 jobs, driving fine,
Failed on reversing, if I can’t get a start, I can’t practice reversing, catch 22.
Should I go back to the driving school and pay for a few hours reversing, this seems the sensible option, but it’s so different playing on a yard with cones, to, just reverse it between those two trailers on your right mate.
Both blokes on assesment said if they could spend a few hours with me, then I’d make a good driver, but nowadays they can’t spare the time, Any advice guys.

Go back to your trainer, explain the situation, and see what they come up with. Most trainers will be happy to provide some additional training. In our case we use parking spaces between our own vehicles and reversing round corners on industrial estates. I also include the process of reaching the decision of exactly how we’re going to get the vehicle where we want it - this is vital and is the big bit missing out of the test IMO.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

The test reversing exercise is quite a complex manoeuvre as you are using both locks and then going straight into the bay. So you are probably better than you think.

To perfect the art of reversing takes time and practice so IMO it wouldn’t be beneficial to have 2 hours back with your training provider especially when the tractor and trailer you will be driving on the assessment will probably have a different feel.

Next time it maybe an idea to talk to the assessor about your concerns so hopefully he may give you some guidance and extra practice.

Paul :smiley:

I know how that feels. Although I hod at least 6 shunts on assessment, they gave me a chance. I then spent a week out with the company’s trainer, and believe me, I had days where it clicked and days where my reversing was shocking, and trainer was getting very frustrated. Anyway, out of my own this week, and 2 days in luckily I have had easy bays.

What I found worked for me, was to stick my head out of the window, looking back at the trailer (stopped me thinking about the position of the steering wheel. All I can say is, keep the unit in line with the trailer as much as possible when backing straight back, you only need to steer a little, to effect the direction of the trailer.

One thing that the trainer taught me during my reversing that helped me, was the difference between pushing the trailer back, and making the trailer turn on the center rear axle with out actually moving back, which is very important when its not possible to back straight back onto a bay.

Reversing comes with experience.

Like elmet has said, you will not gain anything form a couple of hours, a couple of days would be better, as long as its with a good school.

Was the reversing on your assessments reversing straight back on to a bay?

Don’t be afraid to ask assessor to watch you back as your new I did I still ask for help 1year on occasionally

Thanks for the advice, everyone, I will speak to the school I passed with, see what they say, would love a couple more days training , but it’s an expense that’s hard to justify to the missus, as I said earlier, it’s a different ball game in the real world,
The assesment I did was in a 6x4 tractor as opposed to the 4x2 I did my test in,
Also the trailer was full of cardboard waste, and the os curtain was bulging like an elephants bottom, so couldn’t get a sight line down the trailer, but basically, once I’d lost the plot, there was no going back.and that was my confidence shot to pieces.
I think if someone chucked me the keys and said take that to anywheresville, and I could have a play on services/industrial estates , I’d wouldn’t be too bad,

Forgot to say, the reverses on assessments were both bays on the right, 90 degrees,pull it forward to the left then reverse back at 45 degrees approx, first one I took one shunt, got it in but it wasn’t straight, second was the same but didn’t get it between the lines after half a dozen shunts, the more shunts I did the worse it got, there was one of those knobs (not me) on the steering wheel that disabled people have that was a pain in the bum.
I’m ok at going back straight, soon as you see trailer turning, steer into it to straighten, but am struggling with the initial judgement when aiming it, if I could put cones out like on the test I would be better, gives you points of reference for each stage.

18 months down the line, I have surprised myself at some of the places I’ve reversed into,
I’m not the worlds best, I’m better at reversing into gaps between trailers for instance than on an empty yard, if I’m not sure, I get out and have a look, it’s a completely different world at 4am in the pitch black raining cats and dogs, a very steep learning curve, had to laugh when reversing the unit on its own into a space and I have to stop and think, as I’m turning the steering wrong way. I have the utmost admiration for you guys,
I thought, how hard can a bit of driving be! :smiley:

What no one here has mentioned yet is that the driving test reverse is a manoeuvre of a shape and direction that you will use ever again! It has no use in the real world and is only used to judge your ability to understand the principle of reversing a trailer by the DVSA, can you turn the trailer to the left, position the tractor, judge length and steering input, turn right, go in a straight line etc etc.

What you need to understand is how to complete a ‘screw turn’ something your trailer tyres / employer will not appreciate but essential to place a trailer between two other trailers with normally 3 ft each side within a fairly compact turning area.

You made the mistake of trying to go into the space a 45 degrees, you need to do it 90 degrees instead. Its soooooooooooo simple, drive backwards in a straight line within 5 metres (you don’t need a great space on your right - just enough to swing the unit) of the headboards of the trailers parked up towards to your space (a 15ft or so gap, between trailers), once the centre axle of your trailer is inline with edge of your gap or just before (hold your nerve!) apply FULL left lock, watch the trailer tyres - once the centre axle stops turning apply FULL right lock until straight with the trailer - at this point straighten the steer wheels and check before the trailer enters the 15ft space that it is clear both sides. If done correctly it makes you look like a real smarty pants. You can customised this, screw it less or more to suit different locations, depends how much space you have or what angle you begin the reverse at compared to the bay position.

IT A ONE HIT WONDER, NO 2ND CHANCE, if you turned to late or early its back to the start matey, AND ALSO DON’T DO IT BLIND SIDE, well not yet - you might need a bit more practice or a rear window to crack that one.

This method turns the trailer in front the space, what you were trying to do was reverse into bay at a long curve, which normally leads to striking the other trailer on your blind side - that’s how most of us learn the screw turn - out of a need in the real world to avoid accidents.

Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLTDef0oeuA, its an extreme example because he holds the screw turn longer to obtain a 180 degree turn but once you understand the principle of both pivot points on your trailer - the king pin and the wheels you will be able to do anything the other more experienced drivers display (however not everything is professional).

Note: Loaded trailers on concrete - you will cause a great level of tyre wear, best used only on loose surfaces or if you really have no option, also its recommended to check your suzies don’t get caught up on curtain handles, keep them stowed behind the curtain. Many of us have learnt the hard way - snapping a hose on the turn - twang…hissss - bugger!

BTW - that’s why the truck had a steering wheel assister knob - helps you turn from full left to right while leaning out of the window to look at the centre trailer axle! Remember transport yards are dangerous places and don’t strike the cab side air deflectors on the trailer at full pivot and keep an eye on overswing when steering - looking/checking cab and trailer overhang/projections - mirrors, bumpers etc. As you drive forwards before reversing scan the area for obstructions and don’t wait to hit something - get out a check beforehand!

Here is few more - all bit different, some not quite accurate at all times because they are travelling too fast showing off for the camera but you get a few ideas from it.

Thanks for the advice, it does take practice, and I’ve learnt the Suzy lesson ( was abs plug that broke) all good fun.

Tockwith Training:
Here is few more - all bit different, some not quite accurate at all times because they are travelling too fast showing off for the camera but you get a few ideas from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMaSkwx6cHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBDyVYFW7zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EkoMib4q4Y

Not a fan of the DHL one. I see a lot of drivers reversing like that and it’s unnecessary. He had all that space on his nearside which he didn’t use. Instead, he stayed too close to the trailers on his off side and bent it in using full lock. The more space you use the more chance you have of correcting a mistake without needing a shunt. If you have the space, use it.

The other ones are better.

Someone gave me a great tip when I passed my test. Normally you have your hand on the top of the steering wheel (any rigid, car, van etc) and if you want the back to go left, your left hand goes left, just like going forward. However, as you all know, its the opposite with a trailer and one laps of working the opposite way what is ‘natural’ and you can get into all sorts of trouble.

The simple tip? Hold the bottom of the steering wheel when reversing! When you want the trailer to go right, you push your left hand to the right and hey presto!

Piercedpipe:
Someone gave me a great tip when I passed my test. Normally you have your hand on the top of the steering wheel (any rigid, car, van etc) and if you want the back to go left, your left hand goes left, just like going forward. However, as you all know, its the opposite with a trailer and one laps of working the opposite way what is ‘natural’ and you can get into all sorts of trouble.

The simple tip? Hold the bottom of the steering wheel when reversing! When you want the trailer to go right, you push your left hand to the right and hey presto!

I had the same told to me but in IMO it just makes it harder as then you have to keep your hands at the bottom and then you get your hands in a muddle and before you know it you have hit something because you’re looking at your hands and not were you’re going. TBH after doing it for a week or so you forget that you have to turn it this way or that it is just 2nd nature.

You will know when it clicks into place, you will get in your car to go home, reverse out of the space and nearly hit something as you have your artic head on, THEN you have the force :laughing: