refreshing

dinosteveus1:
OP, where are you?
I heard about a ‘reversing course’ being conducted one Sunday in July, not sure where but I think it was about a ton. Somewhere near Worksop I think.

I’m crap at reversing and it winds me up no end. It’s not as if you can just go to say ‘Clacket Lane’ and practice or an RDC :unamused: :unamused:

we collect sarnies from worksop,i may be reversing on a bay that day,you can watch me and maybe learn,can we say 50 :wink:

thanks for all the tips ppl its much apreciated o n yea i do oversteer but i have calmed it down now i works nights so reversing in the dark dont help but at the same time its quieter so not as many ppl around to laugh at me :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

ady1:

dinosteveus1:
OP, where are you?
I heard about a ‘reversing course’ being conducted one Sunday in July, not sure where but I think it was about a ton. Somewhere near Worksop I think.

I’m crap at reversing and it winds me up no end. It’s not as if you can just go to say ‘Clacket Lane’ and practice or an RDC :unamused: :unamused:

we collect sarnies from worksop,i may be reversing on a bay that day,you can watch me and maybe learn,can we say 50 :wink:

If it wasn’t so far away I’d go. If you don’t know where to ‘start’ then it makes the job hard. I get it but it’s hard work 75% of the time.
This was on another trucking forum. Nothing to do with me.

My first artic job is the one i’m on now which is collecting grain from farms which are usually tighter than tight! I soon got used to reversing and i’m sure you will to with plenty of practice. One piece of advice I was told is that if it’s possible (space permitting), always try to get you unit and trailer straight with the bay before starting to reverse. May sound obvious but I see loads of people tying themselves in knots trying to do too much too quick and making it hard for themselves.And remember…JUST RELAX AND TAKE YOUR TIME!

cliffton 27:
hi all i started my first class 1 job last week for stobarts n although im lovin the job my reversing is shockin n just cant seem to c an improvment after a week behind the wheel n im thinkin of takin a couple of hrs refresher course on reversing im wonderin if anyone has done this n did they feel the benefit for doin it im a good safe competent driver but i know this is a skill i need to improve on if im goin to get on in this industry :smiley:

Well I applaude your attitude, fella. :smiley: You feel with honesty that you are lacking in a key skill and have chosen to seek training :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: If all the perfect experts on here and in the industry in general had such a professional attitude things would be very different. Fair play mate, you’ve got bigger balls than a lot of them. :smiling_imp:

If you go to the site that is currently offering the bargain bucket drivers CPC you will find that they are offering a reversing training course as well :open_mouth: for, I think, about 100 or 125 quid.

Out of respect for the rules I won’t post a link and unfortunately I am not permitted PMs so you’ll have to root out this training “enterprise” for yourself :grimacing: :grimacing:

Some cracking advice thats already been posted.
I have had my C+E a year now but havent been driving an artic everyday. Taking your time is massively important. When you rush you make mistakes which get you annoyed with yourself and stressed (i have been in this situation before). Kindles advice about reversing into a bay at a services is a good one. Also the point about over steering is spot on. Its suprising how sometimes you dont need to turn the wheel that much to get the trailer where you want it to go.
All in all mate it WILL come to you. Dont be afraid to ask another driver to watch you back. Most drivers wont mind and will be happy to give you a hand.

billybigrig:

cliffton 27:
hi all i started my first class 1 job last week for stobarts n although im lovin the job my reversing is shockin n just cant seem to c an improvment after a week behind the wheel n im thinkin of takin a couple of hrs refresher course on reversing im wonderin if anyone has done this n did they feel the benefit for doin it im a good safe competent driver but i know this is a skill i need to improve on if im goin to get on in this industry :smiley:

Well I applaude your attitude, fella. :smiley: You feel with honesty that you are lacking in a key skill and have chosen to seek training :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: If all the perfect experts on here and in the industry in general had such a professional attitude things would be very different. Fair play mate, you’ve got bigger balls than a lot of them. :smiling_imp:

If you go to the site that is currently offering the bargain bucket drivers CPC you will find that they are offering a reversing training course as well :open_mouth: for, I think, about 100 or 125 quid.

Out of respect for the rules I won’t post a link and unfortunately I am not permitted PMs so you’ll have to root out this training “enterprise” for yourself :grimacing: :grimacing:

thanks buddy means a lot to me that does to know that not not everyone here is laughin there nuts off at me ( an i know as well as u that there will b ppl havin a good chuckle ) also thanks to everyone else who had some sort of advice i have heard a lot of it but its still good to hear :smiley:

In my honest opinion I don’t think anybody’s laughing at you. There are loads of us about that find reversing hard. Just shunt and shunt until it’s in, that’s what I do.
I used to get wound up thinking of what the place could be like to reverse in before I even got there, used to wind myself up no end, now I don’t give a ■■■■■, either it goes in easy or hard.

My best friend used to say I earn more money parking at the end of the shift that he does all day.

Remember the Pivot! Try not to over/understeer and you’ll crack it very quick!
Oh and you have a PM! :wink:

bowser:
its all in the positioning before you start to go backwards , stick with it fella it’ll come and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about . no point anyone trying to explain just practise and it’ll come .

if you get chance sit and watch a good shunter and see how he does most of the work long before he goes backwards , i know you’ll be going to all kinds of different places but you’ll get the drift of what i meen .
and i promise it will come to you and you’ll crack it … good luck . :smiley:

I was going to write something similar to the above, but as Bowser says just hang in there. The fact that you’re expressing doubts about reversing says that you’re probably made of the right stuff!

Don’t bother trying to rescue a hopeless situation either, if you ■■■■ it up bad just pull right forward and start again, the other mistake new drivers seem to make is not using all the available room they have, if going forwards another 10 foot helps to set up the reverse then do it, there are no prizes for completing the move in the least possible space. Last but not least don’t panic, we all mess it up so just stay cool, don’t rush and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about in a month.

Stick with it :wink: i did 6 weeks of shunting before i went up the road. You cant expect to be able to reverse from day 1 this take practice to gain experiance and even then you will have days where you take a few go’s to get it right :smiley: the longer the trailer the slower it will come round and try and avoid reversing on your blind side if at all possible :smiley:

Amd remember…we all have days were we couldnt hit a barn door if we were sat on the padlock. Lol

cerbrious:
Amd remember…we all have days were we couldnt hit a barn door if we were sat on the padlock. Lol

i like it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

well ppl after a few more days at it im feelin more confident at the reversin still tyin myself in knots here n there but after reading n takin on all your advise i dont dread it half as much i have learnt to develop a ■■■■ it attitude as in if i mess it up who cares il just start again n ppl will have to wait :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: thanks again ppl

cliffton 27:
if i mess it up who cares il just start again

That’s exactly the attitude to have! Got it in one.

This brought back memories and made me laugh…I remember my first job 10 years ago, i took a 6x4 unit with a 45 ft box trailer to a place in birmingham, on arrival there was an empty loading area with 5 empty bays with enough room to turn a boeing 747 around, i tried to reverse blind side about 60 times and all the lads standing on the bay were all falling about laughing and pointing, some where crying…me included…Anyway it came eventually and I ended up being a shunter and a good one, weve all been there and anyone who says they havnt is a having a laugh!!! stick with it

I was given some advice by Lee G when I started - to avoid it, steer towards, and that helped me a lot…