Read Boardall info please

Can anybody give me some info on Read Boardall at Boroughbridge please?
Am thinking of applying (if theres any jobs going) but want to do some homework first.
Pay, nights out, conditions, stuff like that. Ta for any help. jed

jed52:
Am thinking of applying (if theres any jobs going) but want to do some homework first.

Been a while since I worked there but:

Up to 3 weeks on the job training.
Plenty of uniform - there’s enough for a week out to have a change of shirt every day and trousers every other.
Pay isn’t the best in the world but the job is a piece of cake.
Kit is quite new and well maintained. Policy that you’re supposed to drag the wagon and trailer through the wash everytime you return to the yard.
You are expected to run straight.
Reasonable amount of paperwork, nothing too bad.
Night out pay is the going rate plus there is no quibbles over paying for parking (even if you go for the more expensive meal voucher option)
When I was off sick due to a spinal injury, they bent over backwards to help me.
You are rushed as much as you allow yourself to be.
Sometimes it can seem like there’s no planning with stuff being assigned on a “who is here” basis.
Sometimes if you’re a tramper and your wagon is needed for a night shift, you can end up sleeping in B&B at Boroughbridge.

I’d go back - only left through bad health.

Thanks connor for your reply, plenty of info there mate!
I’d prefer tramping, so I’ll give it a go I think.
By the sound of your post, you get to keep same motor, but how often would it get used by others, is it a regular thing?
Also connor, do you think they would consider the distance you have to travel to get to work? I live in Selby and there is bugger all down here except agency work!
Thanks for your help so far, jed.

The company will not pay parking charges anymore !!!

bedgar047:
The company will not pay parking charges anymore !!!

They apparently never used to when I was there yet everyone used to put in the receipts and get paid. Still see plenty of them parked up at Rugby and Strensham truckstops as well as various MSAs.

jed52:
Thanks connor for your reply, plenty of info there mate!
I’d prefer tramping, so I’ll give it a go I think.
By the sound of your post, you get to keep same motor, but how often would it get used by others, is it a regular thing?
Also connor, do you think they would consider the distance you have to travel to get to work? I live in Selby and there is bugger all down here except agency work!
Thanks for your help so far, jed.

You only usually get to keep the motor you’re in for the week you have it until you’ve been there a while, so it’s a case of taking your kit out at the weekend. Running out of Carnaby, Bridlington, I double shifted with the same guy so we just left our own gear in as we were on 12hr shifts and the wagons were parked up at Carnaby over the weekend.

Selby to Boro isn’t that far to travel if you’re tramping.

Thanks, both of you for your replies.jed

Reviving an old thread here, but I see Reed Boardall get mentioned a fair bit to new drivers in the Yorks area on here looking for work

Just wondering what the average sort of take home money would be? I’ve seen some say the wages aren’t brilliant, but what would be a regular week/month?

Just another bit of research in my planning stage before going for licences!

A mate of mine works there… He does around 65hrs a week and takes home about £350, not great but not bad, says that it’s really easy and covers long distances. Often right up into Scotland.

Have I read that right? Tramping and 65 hrs per week. Take home about £350? ■■?
Theres summat not right there.

£7.00hr

jed52:
Have I read that right? Tramping and 65 hrs per week. Take home about £350? ■■?
Theres summat not right there.

im with you on this one jed, £7 x 65 = £455, plus say 4 x £17.50 night out money totals £70, topline £525, minus around a hundred quid tax and insurance, they should still be clearing £400 minimum, which is still rubbish for trampers, allthough from experience, its average around yorkshire for a week. just a note here, but why do trampers allways look at their own area only? i mean for your man here from selby, if your on tramping, sureley out to the reaches of say hull, immingham, manchester, leeds, bradford aint that bad as your only doing the trip twice a week? just a thought :confused:

I went there a few months ago.

The alarm bells had already gone off to be honest. A company struggling for drivers in the present climate??!

When I got to the traffic office and found that all the notices on the walls were in Polish the alarm bells went off again.

Anyway I went and sat and chatted with the bloke who on realising he’d got an old tramper on his hands was somewhat apologetic but carried on anyway :unamused:

I’d be a day driver. £7 an hour for that (I’ve just come off £7.25 an hour for driving a 3.5 tonner 0800 -1630). What they neglect to mention is that a ‘day’ driver is considered to be able to start anytime after midnight! So you can start at 1am and still be a ‘day’ driver :open_mouth:

Oh and any damage to the wagon is taken out of your wages.

The next day I phoned them and told them I wouldn’t be coming in for my ‘induction’ whatever that is. Probably going to try and tell me how to drive a truck.

You have to remember I’ve been here before. In the late 1980s. I won’t be exploited again. I remember being told to come all the way back from eastern Italy with a load of apples cos it had to be ‘in the markets tonight’. And if we didn’t do it, they ‘knew someone that would’. So screw 'em.

Lonewolf Yorks:
Oh and any damage to the wagon is taken out of your wages.

Unenforceable under UK law, even if written into your contract.

Out of all the places I go to either to tip or load Reed Bordall are the only bunch of cretins to really pee me off. In three years of doing container work it was the only time i’ve run out of hours and had to leave the truck because of their incompitance.

Conor:

jed52:

Been a while since I worked there but:

When I was off sick due to a spinal injury, they bent over backwards to help me.

Am i the only one that laughed when i read that bit ? - sorry, :blush: :blush:

Suedehead:
Am i the only one that laughed when i read that bit ? - sorry, :blush: :blush:

no youre not! :blush: :blush:

yeah i must admit that made me chuckle too!

jed52:

mate from heartlypool not long finnished up with then down at boroughbridge hes been driving for over 20 years and said was worst job he ever had