Roadways Container Logistics

Having just passed my class 1 I’m looking for company’s that will employ someone with no experience. This company has been mention a few times. Does anyone have any experiences with them that would like to say what they are like to work for before I apply?
What are the hours and wages like?

I’m just trying to do some background work before I sent off the application form.

Thanks in advance, Rob

Hi, I worked for them when I first passed my test … To me they were a very professional company gave all the right tools for the job … the pay was good they also paid demurage when I was there … I would advise you to fill out the application and go with it and see where it takes you … a lot of 4am starts mind but you can catch up on the kip while they unload !!!

Thanks for the reply mate. Is it all shut work or is there any tramping? I’m seriously thinking about applying. Thanks mate

No prob mate,

When I did it I just did the day work they did and I assume they still do have tramping work … I have a family so like to be home but the Trucks are modern oldest being about a 54 plate now … Apply give it a go if you do not like it nothing lost just a bit of wages in your pocket and time behind the wheel cant be bad.

Thanks mate. Defiantly worth applying from the sound of it.

Thanks, Rob

Go for it mate, you will gain experience etc and as said it is wages will stand you in good stead.

Reed Boardall by the side of the A1 at boroughbridge will take you on mate, not sure if thats too far from you though.
Ive just got on there with no experience, decent kit, wages arnt the best but could be worse i suppose.
worth a thought perhaps, they are recruiting now too :sunglasses:

Cheers mate. Worth looking into. I live in keighley near Bradford so the A1 ain’t that far away.

Thanks again

have a look at their website mate, you can download a form from there.
Plenty of people will say bad things about them but so far ive been pretty impressed, all wagons are less than 3 years old and trailers are as good. People complain that they like to get plenty of hours out of you but when your hourly paid to me thats hardly something to complain about!!

Yeah that doesn’t sound like much of a downside mate. I’ll have a look n get it downloaded. Thanks again

Rob

Just a update. I have applied for a job with RCL at there Felixstowe depot. I did it on Saturday night, does anybody know how long it should be before I hear anything from them?

Thanks, Rob

my advice is just put as many forms in to as many places as poss regardless of experiance an someone is bound to give u a chance also i know ppl here dont like em but stobarts take on newbies they have a yard in sherburn too an i think in bradford i know this as they took me on as my first class 1 job :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: good luck fella

lee27:
People complain that they like to get plenty of hours out of you but when your hourly paid to me thats hardly something to complain about!!

The same people also moan that the pay is ■■■■ but wont put the hours in.

Thanks for that guys. Im looking to move to essex in the next couple of months so ideally i would like to get a job down there. Does anyone know of any companys in the essex or suffolk area that give noobies a chance? Im going to try sending off some CV’s and emails, but would like a few options.

Thanks, Rob

not sure you will have much luck with being taken on direct through roadways to be honest but worth a try, hardly any firms in the felixstowe area are taking on direct they all seem to be using agency i guess its safer for them then being tied to a contract with a new employee. as for jobs theres plenty of agencys advertising localy (to felixstowe) that are looking for class 1&2 drivers try giving some of these a ring- manpower, recruitment consulting, flare, hunterskill, drive link, all currently wanting drivers gota be worth a try fella. good luck.

fastlad21:
Just a update. I have applied for a job with RCL at there Felixstowe depot. I did it on Saturday night, does anybody know how long it should be before I hear anything from them?

Thanks, Rob

If i was you I would go to the depot in person with the application form and a C.V. as I did, as I got an assessment drive there and then and started the next day.

dbk23:
not sure you will have much luck with being taken on direct through roadways to be honest but worth a try, hardly any firms in the felixstowe area are taking on direct they all seem to be using agency i guess its safer for them then being tied to a contract with a new employee. as for jobs theres plenty of agencys advertising localy (to felixstowe) that are looking for class 1&2 drivers try giving some of these a ring- manpower, recruitment consulting, flare, hunterskill, drive link, all currently wanting drivers gota be worth a try fella. good luck.

Recently they’ve taken on a few new drivers on direct and a couple of them (including me) have not long past their test.

I think aslong as you go with the right attitude and can prove you can drive a truck then you stand a chance of getting the job.

In the end, it’s all about experience. So I would apply to as many places and hopefully land a job and get some experience. If you don’t like the company or they treat you bad, then quit and try another. Hopefully you’ll find a good company and get plenty of hours driving.

Thanks for the replies. I would have taken a application form in myself but I currently live in west Yorkshire and applied for the Felixstowe depot as I’m looking to move to that area in the near future. I am defiantly going to send of cvs to as many company’s as possible.

Rob