Quick question about licences

A friend of mine has provisional Cat C entitlement and now wishes to add Cat D and wondered whether he would have to have a new medical, fresh application etc or will the DVLA simply add to his existing entitlemet expiring as and when his Cat C doe’s?

I wasn’t sure but I know someone here will :slight_smile:

Regards
Tef

tef:
A friend of mine has provisional Cat C entitlement and now wishes to add Cat D and wondered whether he would have to have a new medical, fresh application etc or will the DVLA simply add to his existing entitlemet expiring as and when his Cat C doe’s?

I wasn’t sure but I know someone here will :slight_smile:

Hi tef,

Yes mate, he’ll be along to answer your question in the morning. :wink: :grimacing:

Hi - no medical required as long as your current one is in date - and as long as he has provisional D he drive on L’s and can take his test - i think he will have to do a written test as well - then adding is free because he has provisional entitlement
Bonus being if he has C+E he gets D+E automatically -
cheers
Steve

tef:
A friend of mine has provisional Cat C entitlement and now wishes to add Cat D and wondered whether he would have to have a new medical

If the medical he did for C prov is less than 12 months old then it will count for D prov providing the application for D prov is granted within that 12 months - so tell him to get the D2 form in quick (he will need to send his licence to DVLA again)

If the 12 months have passed then it’s a new medical :frowning:
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
£49 MEDICALS
cheap medical places around the UK

If he does C manual and D auto (any order) then both become manual because C will upgrade D

If wanting D+E then go for C+E as C+E will give D+E for free if already got D

Each catagory has it’s own intial Dcpc

The HPT (module 1b) lasts for 2 years so can count for both

Theory (module 1a) is different for both

hope that helps

Thanks for the advice … Turns out his medical was more than two years ago… So looks like a fresh application for him…

Regards
Tef

tef:
Thanks for the advice … Turns out his medical was more than two years ago… So looks like a fresh application for him…

Regards
Tef

Once he has done the second medical then both will run at the same time - from the date of the second one

Hi guys, I did my medical 3 years ago, I am not sure if its still valid if I want to upgrade my category ?

Thanks

london:
Hi guys, I did my medical 3 years ago, I am not sure if its still valid if I want to upgrade my category ?

Thanks

Depends what you mean by upgrade. If you’ve got cat. C and want to do the CE then there’s no need for another medical, if you want a provisional D then another medical is required.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome london :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

london:
if I want to upgrade my category

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS for C+E ARTIC, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips

First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours