Question for Brit Pete?

Was talking to a German driver,i was near to Munich,and he said large trucks can drive on Sundays and holidays by using the national road system and avoid the toll highways,is this correct?He was adamant it was ok,by showing me the way back to Luxembourg,it was a longer route,cross country,but possible and LEGAL or not?The larger cities would be a no no,but he showed a deviation alternative.

toby1234abc:
Was talking to a German driver,i was near to Munich,and he said large trucks can drive on Sundays and holidays by using the national road system and avoid the toll highways,is this correct?He was adamant it was ok,by showing me the way back to Luxembourg,it was a longer route,cross country,but possible and LEGAL or not?The larger cities would be a no no,but he showed a deviation alternative.

I think you have miss understood him ,or he miss understood you, you cant go anywhere on a sunday with a truck, he may of been refering to the Saturday holiday ban in July and August, where some m ways are tabu for trucks and you have to use the nationals to get round them.

Geoff

About an hour of pointing grubby fingers at an atlas,the language barrier didnt help either. :smiley:

toby1234abc:
About an hour of pointing grubby fingers at an atlas,the language barrier didnt help either. :smiley:

I hope you shouted nice & loud to make it easier for him to understand Toby :unamused:

Ross.

As has been posted SUNDAYS is a day where unless you have a permit
to drive , have a confined reservation on one of the Hucpac or Kombi
trains or are carrying products that allow you to run , it is a No No
Now as for driving the country roads when the Saturday Summer
Driving Ban is in place, this can back fire if you hit one of the roads that
are closed to trucks, and any way its better to stay still and get your break
in,

toby1234abc:

Hi toby1234abc,

Given that you’ve said that the driver you were talking to is German, I’d say the language barrier probably makes it more likely that you’ve misunderstood what he was telling you.

There are two types of driving ban in Germany, and they apply in different circumstances.
One of them (FeV) only applies on Saturdays in July and August as mentioned by gbtransp, and affects only certain roads/motorways.
As with many Regulations there are some exemptions in some cases.

The other driving ban is a completely different animal, and applies on Sundays and Bank Holidays, but again there are some (different) exemptions.

:bulb: You just know what’s coming now don’t you…?
As brit pete often says: “Read ze Schtickies.” :wink: :grimacing:

German LGV driving bans. (The WHOLE story...) - EURO DRIVING FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Das ist gute,danke.