France on a Sunday

This has probably been done on here before, but after spending the last twelve months going over to Belgium and Holland on every third/fourth Sunday night/Monday morning, I have just been told that there is a truck ban in France on Sundays, but that it does not affect the A14/E40 north to the Belgium border. Apparently everyone that goes South through France sits in the Elf garage until late Sunday evening, then they all leg it at about midnight. I have noticed that when I try to get my vignette on a Sunday night the place is packed out with trucks even parked out on the dual cariageway back to the roundabout, but I thought this was normal. I always head straight for Belgium so it has not affected me, and no-one has stopped me yet, so any info on this, or any other Euro bans would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Bill.

The A16, from Calais to the Belgian border is known as the corridor for that reason Bilgepump. It’s a European road, rather than a French road, and is exempt from W/E and holiday driving bans in France.
I believe it also HAS to be kept clear, so any French people who decide to blockade the roads as a form of protest, for whatever reason, cannot block the corridor. The French Police must keep that stretch of road open for the free movement of goods in European.

France, Germany, Italy and parts of Spain all have driving bans on Sundays, Bank Holidays, certain religious festivals and other days through the year. The bans start and finish at different times, depending on the country. France and Italy are usualy from 10pm Sat night to 10pm Sunday night. In Germany its from midnight to midnight I think.

I’m not 100% sure of the start and finish times, because I wouldn’t be working at those times. Days are for working, nights are for sleeping and Saturday night is for going out and having a good time. Sunday is for recovering from that good time, then early ish to bed ready for starting fresh on Monday morning, I may have a couple of drinks on a Sunday night, purely to be sociable of course and to aid a good nights sleep :blush: :smiley:

Simon:
France and Italy are usualy from 10pm Sat night to 10pm Sunday night. In Germany its from midnight to midnight I think.

Germany has restrictions from midnight until 22:00 on Sundays and Public Holidays.
Italy the restrictions on Sundays and Public Holidays are from 08:00 - 22:00 during November through to May and from 07:00 -24:00 in June, July, August and September. They also have some restrictions that run from 16:00 - 24:00 on certain days, usually before major holidays such as Easter Saturday, New Years Eve and the start and finish of the big August holiday getaway.

Although the A16 between Calais and Belgium is exempt from the Sunday and holiday truck restrictions, the exemption does not apply to vehicles carrying hazardous and they cannot run. Also for vehicles carrying hazardous the ban does not end at 22:00 but runs until midnight.

Bilgepump:
Apparently everyone that goes South through France sits in the Elf garage until late Sunday evening, then they all leg it at about midnight.

The exodus begins around 21:35 - 21:40 and usually the French police will turn a blind eye to it as it staggers the rush somewhat. There are no guarantees and you can still be nicked for it. A good rule of thumb is to not arrive at the St. Omer peage before 22:00, which always worked for me. :wink: :smiley:

Countries such as Austria and Switzerland have longer restrictions with the Swiss one running from 22:00 Saturday through to 05:00 Monday and in Austria between 15:00 on Saturday - 05:00 Monday. Both these countries have night restrictions every day between 22:00 and 05:00.

If you are only going to Belgium and Holland you have no such worries as neither country operates a restriction for trucks. It is often said that Belgium are going to introduce one but I have on a couple of occasions spoken to Belgium police officers, they spend a lot of time drinking coffee in service stations during the night, and they have told me there is nothing on the cards for the foreseeable future.

Coffeeholic:
Although the A16 between Calais and Belgium is exempt from the Sunday and holiday truck restrictions, the exemption does not apply to vehicles carrying hazardous and they cannot run. Also for vehicles carrying hazardous the ban does not end at 22:00 but runs until midnight.

It used to be the case that if you came off the ferry in Dunquerque with hazardous, you could not run till 8am Monday as they had a part time fire brigade :exclamation: Not sure if that is still the case though :stuck_out_tongue:

The Lille, Belgium France border exodus is the most spectacular, hundred of lorries exiting the services, two abreast and stopping for nothing.

julian:
The Lille, Belgium France border exodus is the most spectacular, hundred of lorries exiting the services, two abreast and stopping for nothing.

Bit like the Bakehouse at Macon in the old days at 8pm Sundays (2 hours early :unamused: ) then :laughing:

Wheelnut:
It used to be the case that if you came off the ferry in Dunquerque with hazardous, you could not run till 8am Monday as they had a part time fire brigade Not sure if that is still the case though

You could be right Malc, but not sure why. My neighbour, a part-timer, is at the station 2 kms away in 2 minutes flat when the siren sounds :laughing:

Im not so sure about the methods of the French pompiers. I once witnessed a fight between 2 different fire engine crews in Bordeaux

A hotel very close to the Albatross and Centre Routier was ablaze on a Sunday. two appliances turned up and were arguing. The hotel is no more as it was too far burnt when they sorted their differences and overtime rates :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
Im not so sure about the methods of the French pompiers. I once witnessed a fight between 2 different fire engine crews in Bordeaux

A hotel very close to the Albatross and Centre Routier was ablaze on a Sunday. two appliances turned up and were arguing. The hotel is no more as it was too far burnt when they sorted their differences and overtime rates :smiley:

Just so long as the Albatross is ok then eh? :wink: :laughing: .

I would have thought in Bordeaux the fire crews would be fulltimers though.
I haven’t asked but I assume that here they call more than they need and the first to the pump gets the job, thus a great encouragement to speed. :open_mouth:

Other advantages, quick or not, are the enormous discounts they can get on household goods - and a Pompier van to bring them home in. I once helped him unload a giant fridge and fetched my little trolley to wheel it through the house to the kitchen. When we got it there he dropped it down onto its castors and pushed it into position :blush: . He hadn’t the heart to spurn my kind offer :unamused:
When they go on holiday I look after the place for them, as they do mine, and they have no fewer than 4 max size chest freezers for a family of 4. And this for a lowly paid factory worker whose wife works part time cleaning.