First drive to Europe!

Hi its my first time to this site and have read through a lot of the post and answers and learned a lot of stuff that i never knew ( thanks).

I have been offered a job driving an 18ton rigid to Budapest and I have never driven a large vehicle on euro roads but I am considering this seriously, however i am very unsure on the restictions on roads at the weeekends in some countries, i have checked the route and it says i will drive through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and then Hungray. Does any one know of these restictions or where i can get the info from?

The Job states setting off on a saturday and reaching destination monday am, so i am really unsure of if this would be possible? :confused:

Also what documents i.e. passport, driving licence would i need to take? And what about the toll roads and truck tax?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :smiley:

Hi Daz, welcome along.

For starters, you can’t drive in either France or Germany on a Sunday (unless the vehicle is exempt, e.g transporting perishable goods), see this site for all European truck bans…

transportsfriend.org/int/bans.html

Have a look in the “stickies” at the top of the TruckNet Euro forum page for info on the docs you will need and loads of other helpful info.

You need road tax in Belgium (the vignette), in Germany (the MAUT), you can buy this virtually everywhere, and you will need to buy a GO-Box for Austria, it’s a bit like a Dart-Tag and you buy it at the border.

Good luck.

The saturday ban for Germany starts at 2400hrs in austria on saturday at 1500hrs
From France,Calais you will proberley get as far as Gieseliwind truckstop, from
there to the austrian border
is about 3.5hrs +/- from suben to WIEN is 3hrs from here to the border at Nicklesdorf
1:5std, now to Budapest will take around 3hrs,
Read the euro stickys as lots of info is posted here which will make things easy to do,
any more questions post away,

Thank you both for your help, it is much apprecited.

No probs, have a look at the links and if there’s anything more you need to know then just ask away!

Dont forget the activity letter.Or what you have done for the last 28 days,like if you have had holiday/illness etc.It has been covered on here before about any handwritting on the letter,against the printed out format from your bosses computer.Buy the Lidls multi packs of mineral drinking water,to save on MSA prices.

toby1234abc:
.Buy the Lidls multi packs of mineral drinking water,to save on MSA prices.

Or even better, fill up with tap water before you go :wink:

Can that be done?
“Set off Saturday - tip Hungary Mon am” ?

WOULD BE VERY IFFY better would be after loading and getting the boat
go out on Friday,

If he starts Friday and gets as far as Aachen or Frechen (A4) from the docks
and then runs on Saturday to the border at PASSAU/SUBEN (742KM;sfrom Aachen), takes a break and leaves
when the driveing ban is ended bearing in mind that he has got a GO box at the border and put cash on the account to cover the costs (about €0.27cents a km);
THEN he should make the drop in the afternoon, not forgetting to spread his load for the weight control if open at nicklesdorf, also the vingette for Hungary,what fuel card do you have,or is it cash, check that your card is okay for europe and all countrys,
shell or dkv are two of the best, or uta,

Thanks to all of you for all your help :smiley:

I am going to see if i can set off on friday evening instead of sat morning so i guess that would help, thanks for the tips on the drinks also (never even thought about that :blush: )

Think it will just be petty cash that he gives me so no fuel card.

How do i go about getting a “GO box”? and sorry whats the “vingette”?

Again thanks for all your help :smiley:

Jump starting cables will be usefull,and check battery acid levels,they go quick if using juice at night.Spare bulbs,and fuses,spanners etc,photo of the Mrs to go on the dashboard.Foam ear plugs for peacefull sleep.Spare coins in case mobile packs up,and use a cabin telephone box.Breakdown contact numbers.Small medicine box,like sea sick pills,aspirin,etc.Boiler suit,to climb under chassis,never know?

You get the Go Box at the Auustrian border, tell them where you are going and they will tell you how much credit you need to buy, the Vignette is road tax, you need one which covers Belgium, you can get this at the IDS filling station at Calais (ZI des Dunes), you need a different type of vignette for Hungary, get it at the border.

you need not only the Eurovingette (valid from 0000HR–2400hr)DAILY;

In Germany a road charge (Maut) is raised at the borders and else where
through out Germany you can book it, or get your boss to have a unit fitted
called OBU unit in your truck ,depending what euro type engine is fitted
will be how high maut costs you will have,On the Toll-collect site you can
read about this,be aware that you will be better off by having a fixed
unit if doing this trip regularly ,

The GO box get this at the border and ensure that you put enough
money on the account of the box to cover your journeys say enough for 800km
times the maut around €250+/-,for there and back to the border at Passau,

you have by now read the Euro sticky,s and visited the sites mentioned
all sites should be avalible in english as well,also read the sticky about
doc,s etc that are needed to be carried when driving over here ,if you wish
it is possible to go through AUSTRIA;S neighbour BUT although it may be a little
cheaper it is longer and will mean more driving , the direct route is the quickest,

Remember that you are driving abroad where the fines can and often are high
in Hungary they have just published a new list of fines posted on here already

where are you dropping your load a rough mention of the area as there is a low bridge
in BUDAPEST of 3m.80 ,also keep your speed legal , fuel is cheaper in AUSTRIA
than germany , and hungary, any more questions ask away as there are loads of people on here to give answers,

brit pete:
you need not only the Eurovingette (valid from 0000HR–2400hr)DAILY;

In Germany a road charge (Maut) is raised at the borders and else where
through out Germany you can book it, or get your boss to have a unit fitted
called OBU unit in your truck ,depending what euro type engine is fitted
will be how high maut costs you will have,On the Toll-collect site you can
read about this,be aware that you will be better off by having a fixed
unit if doing this trip regularly ,

The GO box get this at the border and ensure that you put enough
money on the account of the box to cover your journeys say enough for 800km
times the maut around €250+/-,for there and back to the border at Passau,

you have by now read the Euro sticky,s and visited the sites mentioned
all sites should be avalible in english as well,also read the sticky about
doc,s etc that are needed to be carried when driving over here ,if you wish
it is possible to go through AUSTRIA;S neighbour BUT although it may be a little
cheaper it is longer and will mean more driving , the direct route is the quickest,

Remember that you are driving abroad where the fines can and often are high
in Hungary they have just published a new list of fines posted on here already

where are you dropping your load a rough mention of the area as there is a low bridge
in BUDAPEST of 3m.80 ,also keep your speed legal , fuel is cheaper in AUSTRIA
than germany , and hungary, any more questions ask away as there are loads of people on here to give answers,

And dont forget to drive on the right :laughing:

Suedehead:
And dont forget to drive on the right :laughing:

Gotta admit this made me laugh, thanks again for all the info guys :smiley: