When will be the Day,

when Weekend Driving for HGV’s is history,as it is already in many EU Countries?

When hell freezes over and we stop being another state of America

never…besides,i get time and a half whenever i decide to work on a saturday :smiley:

carryfast-yeti:
never…besides,i get time and a half whenever i decide to work on a saturday :smiley:

[emoji57]to true money talks

Immigrant has raised a good point, No weekend driving in Europe, so why does the UK not follow, park up non essential loads, fridges can run, along with milk tankers, concert and fun fair lorries.
Supermarkets can run.
In Europe the driver gets a proper rest.

yup, nothing like a weekend in a ■■■■-soaked service station in the arse-end of nowhere.

i work /drive in retail.the only thing that stops us operating on weekends is the small suppliers we collect from work only monday to friday,so not worth sending the trucks out just to deliver to our shops.the guys and girls in the shops have to do 5 out of 7.

Stupid idea,why not stop trucks driving at night too because it’s dark,and in rush hour so as not to inconvenience the general public.
So from this day on HGVs are only allowed on the road 10am - 3pm Mon to Fri.

xichrisxi:
Stupid idea,why not stop trucks driving at night too because it’s dark,and in rush hour so as not to inconvenience the general public.
So from this day on HGVs are only allowed on the road 10am - 3pm Mon to Fri.

sounds good to me,bring it on and i may just return to driving full time :wink: :smiley:

I don’t know many EU countries where it a full weekend ban except for certain routes at certain busy time of the year.
and even where there are bans there are also many exceptions.
Personally I think if they did do a Sunday driving ban in this country you wouldn’t see much difference, I’m sure the supermarkets would still get an exemption as they’d say it was essential deliveries, Fridge trucks are allowed to run in most European countries as are trucks on agricultural work, or on event, TV and sporting work. The ones it might effect are those running Sundays out with early Monday am drops.

if anything, I foresee it becoming more 24/7. Sadly it seems to be the natural progression of things.

… and who/what will collect the milk from farms?

I like working weekends and do so every week out of choice.

Driving ban in EU is mainly related to the Catholic faith, the same reason there is little Sunday trading and short day opening on Saturdays. Without stating the bleeding obvious the UK is not a Catholic country. As with all things there are exceptions, essential transport and perishables are allowed.

Driver-Once-More:
… and who/what will collect the milk from farms?

Truck drivers driving trucks like they do in the rest of Europe, there are exemptions and one is quite often agricultural and perishable goods.

Gangan:
Driving ban in EU is mainly related to the Catholic faith, the same reason there is little Sunday trading and short day opening on Saturdays. Without stating the bleeding obvious the UK is not a Catholic country. As with all things there are exceptions, essential transport and perishables are allowed.

whoops didn’t read all your post before posting. :blush:

And I agree there seems to be far less shops open on a Sunday in other places in Europe. :smiley:

When we have a population to area ratio same as the european countries that have bans then we too will have no need to work weekends, so it aint going to happen, as it is the population will continue to increase because thats what big business who owns the government wants, so weekend and night working will become more common just to service the ever growing population.

Remember this is exactly what you voted for, and you will do so again.

If you look at the vast majority of lorries on weekend routes, they are mostly food lorries of one sort or another or fuel tankers, and they won’t be stopping whatever happens.

Immigrant:
when Weekend Driving for HGV’s is history,as it is already in many EU Countries?

Why dont you just emigrate to one of these EU countries that suit you better ?

blue estate:

carryfast-yeti:

[emoji57]to true money talks

I wouldnt say if Saturday were paid time-and-a-half,and Sunday double Time.

I get a fiver extra for weekend days, but I don’t mind my every other Sunday, it’s a slower pace. Food industry, the factories are producing every day so the stock has to go out, and come in ready for Monday.