polish drivers

:imp: hellow truck net, dave from truck&driver was saying that he welcomes forine drivers plying there wares over hear.And that we wernt going to see polish drivers untill april next year, at least not tramping anyway. i work for walkers crisps in leicester, we have at least 2or3 polish drivers in every week taking the loades from holland and belguim. these were taken by a english truck firm untill about a month ago,or owner drivers as back loads. What is going on if you say anything to the management they say nothing,when i pointed out they may not have the proper insurance. We like alot of firms have grate deal off trouble getting drivers we have had 23 leave in the last month, but they cant see why they are leaving,asda and sainsbury can. trucks on there last legs lack off maintaince,mine has defects from 9.7.03. when you do have a complaint its just gets shruged off.i for one am dreding the w.t.d coming in, last week i only got 32 hours got paid for42,this week im home wrighting this email after just 6.5 hours work. but the loads keep going out but not by walkers drivers french ,brit owner drivers ,and polish. dave look forward to your thoughts. rgds mark.

i was recently with a polish driver that was working for an irish company with a name similar to that of the three singing sisters and one of them was married to shane ritchie.
anyway the driver was telling me how frightened he was when he first started driving for the company, having never driven a right hand drive truck and never driven on the left before.
he claims it took 3 months to get used to it.
he also told me that as soon as the other 10 countries sign up to the eu then he and many other polish drivers will be heading our way for driving jobs as there will be nothing to stop them.
this will lead to a lot more accidents involving trucks, an increase in the number of readily available drivers could also lead to a halt in the financial rewards offered by transport companies to recruit drivers.
it will be a very big step back for us.

If this is for real it might add a bit more momentum to the push needed for a few more of us to ā€œget outā€ā€¦ fuel prices, foreign competition, muppets behind the wheel (all vehicles!), Road rage (all vehicles) Security etc etc etc and now this too?? we cant even agree on the posties agreeing never mind give this job the kick up the arse that it needsā€¦ :imp:

getting out:
:evil: hellow truck net, dave from truck&driver was saying that he welcomes forine drivers plying there wares over hear.

To correct an inaccuracy, Davey Driver is Capitol Enterprises.

Davey is Truck & Driver.

Two different people, but easily mixed up. :laughing:

The Irish firm mentioned have around1/3 of their wagons as left hookers and to be honest they do Europe anyway!! A few years back i worked for a very well known cash and carry that a firm similar to a sunday night car show did a lot of work into and it was a bonus if the driver could speak English so are we not already at the stage where this so called driver shortage doesnt existā– ā– ?

Or is it we want good plant with cosy hours but so called immigrants etc are taking the work we so long for!!!

tin hat on here as im not clued up on this butsomeone please tell me how things around your parts as i know tesco etc here in ireland are crying out for drivers (albeit agency for the first twelve weeks!)

regards

kev

:smiling_imp: yes the papers are filled with vacancies but all of them are agencies. I recently applied to wallmart ( asda) in the local paper, only to be told they donā€™t need any drivers. On asking a friend of mine to ask in transport if there are any jobs they said to him to put a application form in. Iā€™ve also phoned the agency that they use and was told as long as I donā€™t have more than 6 points on my licence they could start me next Monday.
After asking other drivers that I know have applied for the above company, some havenā€™t yet heard and others are saying that they have heard that they still need drivers. on hearing this I think that they are probably only taking on agency so they have no committments to the drivers they are getting i.e. no pensions, sick pay ectā€¦

Always interesting to read the posts from years ago and see how things have mapped out

johnny:
i was recently with a polish driver that was working for an irish company with a name similar to that of the three singing sisters and one of them was married to shane ritchie.
anyway the driver was telling me how frightened he was when he first started driving for the company, having never driven a right hand drive truck and never driven on the left before.

That for a starter is zb mate, I was HGV 1 in uk for 20 years only drove LHD tugs for White Arrow Express. When i moved over to Tenerife to drive left hookers it came very natural within the first days :smiley: Only now when i vist uk for hols i get a lil confused after all im a Forest fanā€¦ :smiley:

and as Johnny said, it has all come scarily true. This country is now bolloxed and as has been said on other threads, either work for Ā£6/hr or g.t.f.o. Pavol Popeloski will be along to take yr Ā£6 and will be more than happy with itā€¦and so will the boss if he can get ā€˜Pavolā€™ to run bent whilst paying peanuts. We have about 100 staff in my depot, 80% are from ā€˜elsewhereā€™ā€¦25k for w/hse, 40hrs/wk. Work their socks of for 3 months to get in the door then its all stopā€¦stood around chatting, half the work load done, us drivers always away late but they know that they are in for the long haul because it is near on impossible to sack them, even on reasonable grounds. U can set yr watch for 22.30 each night as there are 12 of the 18 on shift clocking out on the dot and they donā€™t give a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā€¦ā€˜half 2 till half 10, weā€™re off homeā€™. Even the 2 drivers (out of 7) turned out the same. The job is a breeze, no nights away,5 days/wk. 28k/48hrs, all forked loadsā€¦now they donā€™t wanna do the ā€˜longā€™ runs and tell the gaffer as suchā€¦he lets 'em get away with it. Me? Do the job yr paid or ā– ā– ā– ā–  offā€¦and be a bit selective with re-employment. Iā€™m on nights and occasionally have to cover a day run cuz they suddenly get ill and go home, which leaves us a driver down so everything has to be rescheduled. I donā€™t bother about this cuz its more money in my pocketā€¦keep telling the boss that we could ā€˜loseā€™ the driver and sort the work out a bit different, i donā€™t mind starting later to bale 'em out, nor do the others but as iā€™ve said, they are now ā€˜inā€™ and its very hard to get then ā€˜outā€™. I do not follow politics to any great lengths but i can never see our industry improving.

This is a bump and a half :open_mouth:

Actrosman:
and as Johnny said, it has all come scarily true. This country is now bolloxed and as has been said on other threads, either work for Ā£6/hr or g.t.f.o. Pavol Popeloski will be along to take yr Ā£6 and will be more than happy with itā€¦and so will the boss if he can get ā€˜Pavolā€™ to run bent whilst paying peanuts. We have about 100 staff in my depot, 80% are from ā€˜elsewhereā€™ā€¦25k for w/hse, 40hrs/wk. Work their socks of for 3 months to get in the door then its all stopā€¦stood around chatting, half the work load done, us drivers always away late but they know that they are in for the long haul because it is near on impossible to sack them, even on reasonable grounds. U can set yr watch for 22.30 each night as there are 12 of the 18 on shift clocking out on the dot and they donā€™t give a [zb]ā€¦ā€˜half 2 till half 10, weā€™re off homeā€™. Even the 2 drivers (out of 7) turned out the same. The job is a breeze, no nights away,5 days/wk. 28k/48hrs, all [zb] loadsā€¦now they donā€™t wanna do the ā€˜longā€™ runs and tell the gaffer as suchā€¦he lets 'em get away with it. Me? Do the job yr paid or [zb] offā€¦and be a bit selective with re-employment. Iā€™m on nights and occasionally have to cover a day run cuz they suddenly get ill and go home, which leaves us a driver down so everything has to be rescheduled. I donā€™t bother about this cuz its more money in my pocketā€¦keep telling the boss that we could ā€˜loseā€™ the driver and sort the work out a bit different, i donā€™t mind starting later to bale 'em out, nor do the others but as iā€™ve said, they are now ā€˜inā€™ and its very hard to get then ā€˜outā€™. I do not follow politics to any great lengths but i can never see our industry improving.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: And that little lot could quite easily apply to the natives as well

I know this is old, and it was done hundred of times elsewhere, but one bit is new:

getting out:
What is going on if you say anything to the management they say nothing,when i pointed out they may not have the proper insurance.

Hmmā€¦ Should I point out to the management every time I see the British Driver to point out that he might not have a proper insurance?

I donā€™t understand why it shall be the polish thingā€¦

Donā€™t understand,or donā€™t want to understand ? Nuff said.

flat to the mat:
Donā€™t understand,or donā€™t want to understand ? Nuff said.

:unamused:

pete-b:

Actrosman:
and as Johnny said, it has all come scarily true. This country is now bolloxed and as has been said on other threads, either work for Ā£6/hr or g.t.f.o. Pavol Popeloski will be along to take yr Ā£6 and will be more than happy with itā€¦and so will the boss if he can get ā€˜Pavolā€™ to run bent whilst paying peanuts. We have about 100 staff in my depot, 80% are from ā€˜elsewhereā€™ā€¦25k for w/hse, 40hrs/wk. Work their socks of for 3 months to get in the door then its all stopā€¦stood around chatting, half the work load done, us drivers always away late but they know that they are in for the long haul because it is near on impossible to sack them, even on reasonable grounds. U can set yr watch for 22.30 each night as there are 12 of the 18 on shift clocking out on the dot and they donā€™t give a [zb]ā€¦ā€˜half 2 till half 10, weā€™re off homeā€™. Even the 2 drivers (out of 7) turned out the same. The job is a breeze, no nights away,5 days/wk. 28k/48hrs, all [zb] loadsā€¦now they donā€™t wanna do the ā€˜longā€™ runs and tell the gaffer as suchā€¦he lets 'em get away with it. Me? Do the job yr paid or [zb] offā€¦and be a bit selective with re-employment. Iā€™m on nights and occasionally have to cover a day run cuz they suddenly get ill and go home, which leaves us a driver down so everything has to be rescheduled. I donā€™t bother about this cuz its more money in my pocketā€¦keep telling the boss that we could ā€˜loseā€™ the driver and sort the work out a bit different, i donā€™t mind starting later to bale 'em out, nor do the others but as iā€™ve said, they are now ā€˜inā€™ and its very hard to get then ā€˜outā€™. I do not follow politics to any great lengths but i can never see our industry improving.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: And that little lot could quite easily apply to the natives as well

Got to agree, pond life is pond life, no matter where its fromā€¦Most poles I`ve met, who show pond life tendancies, are only copying native pond life :unamused:

Hodgy67:

johnny:

That for a starter is zb mate, I was HGV 1 in uk for 20 years only drove LHD tugs for White Arrow Express. When i moved over to Tenerife to drive left hookers it came very natural within the first days :smiley: Only now when i vist uk for hols i get a lil confused after all im a Forest fanā€¦ :smiley:

You said it Hodgy67, confused / dazed / living in the past / dreamersā€¦Yeh, your a RED DOG :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its looking like Billy ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  is getting ready to sling his hook, or so I`ve heard, nudge, nudge, wink, winkā€¦ :laughing:

Yes,itā€™s strange how the things have panned out over the last few years.At one time it was strange to see the likes of PKS,Romtrans,Deutrans etc. on the road,then the wall came down and you began to see a trickle of independant companies from the Eastern Bloc,including several Dutch firms that had flagged out to Poland.
It wasnā€™t long before that trickle turned into a flood,and now everywhere you go you see hordes of them with,I think,the Poles being in the vast majority.
There are many big companies that have opened depots,or flagged out in Poland like Vos,Norbert Dentressangle etc.and for the Belgians (our firm included) Slovakia is the country of choice to register the trucks in and employ drivers.
This is closely being followed now by Romania.
But,it has to be said that the standard of driving from these countries is atrocious,the Poles just seem to aim the thing at a parking area and wherever it stops,thatā€™s where itā€™s going to stay for the night,no matter if heā€™s blocked the entrance,exit or other trucks.
The Romanians,well,theyā€™ve come straight from driving a horse and cart on to a 40 tonner!

Maybe the Poles are getting there revenge of 1939,and now theyā€™re invading europe :unamused: :wink: :wink: :wink:

For once i agree with all posts aboveā€¦butā€¦i must say that not all poles are bad drivers, in fact in my middle east days it was always the poles and hungarian drivers who stopped if they saw a
long vehicle that was parked upā€¦just to see if the driver was okā€¦
I did however get involved in a fracas in frankham services this weekā€¦a polish transporter had parked in the through route/exit slip. and was trying to reverse out...but couldnt reverse to save his life, the trailer was going everywhere..he was swearing, cursing..and i only pulled in to get a sarnie at M&S and a pint of milk, so parked to the left of him...he wanted me to move..and because i had sussed the situation, told him to go forth and multiply...he had lots of room, but didnt know how to use it...so thats only one example..but i must admit that when i hear about an accident on the motorway, i always think to myself ( bet its a pole) and nine times out of ten...it is..Now i dont knbow what the highway code says in poland, but i will bet that its not a lot different to the uk or the rest of europe...but i find that most accidents or side swipes are caused by the pole being in the wrong lane, and leaving it too late to join the main carriageway from a slip road, always waiting till the last minute tihen giving havoc to the poor innocent motorist....or maybe its the fact they are still driving along watching the dvd..i will put it down to the lack of experience..they get their licences by driving a farm tractor and trailer, then jump into a 40 tonne outfit, and head to our shores thinking theyre the dogs Bs when in actual fact if they had to take a uk hgv test most of them will fail ( except orys ) :laughing: :laughing:

merc0447:
This is a bump and a half :open_mouth:

A bump? Itā€™s bordering on necrophilia! :wink:

getting out:
:evil: hellow truck net, dave from truck&driver was saying that he welcomes forine drivers plying there wares over hear.And that we wernt going to see polish drivers untill april next year, at least not tramping anyway. i work for walkers crisps in leicester, we have at least 2or3 polish drivers in every week taking the loades from holland and belguim. these were taken by a english truck firm untill about a month ago,or owner drivers as back loads. What is going on if you say anything to the management they say nothing,when i pointed out they may not have the proper insurance. We like alot of firms have grate deal off trouble getting drivers we have had 23 leave in the last month, but they cant see why they are leaving,asda and sainsbury can. trucks on there last legs lack off maintaince,mine has defects from 9.7.03. when you do have a complaint its just gets shruged off.i for one am dreding the w.t.d coming in, last week i only got 32 hours got paid for42,this week im home wrighting this email after just 6.5 hours work. but the loads keep going out but not by walkers drivers french ,brit owner drivers ,and polish. dave look forward to your thoughts. rgds mark.

Are you foreign (see the spelling)ā– ā– , because your English ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  arse lol