The Poles are taking over!

Hi all,

Was chatting to one of the few British agency drivers at our place last night who told me that he only gets the straight 8 hour shifts now because Manpower always dish out the long shifts to the Polish drivers.

Apparently the Polish drivers are employed by a division of Manpower based in Poland and they are paid around £3 per hour less than the UK drivers. Manpower charge Royal Mail the same rate so make more profit on the deal.

He also reckons that the drivers at the Sainsburys depot in Bristol are almost all Polish now!

What hope is there for the bloody future if it continues like this!?

I think you may be right, I just started with another agency who promised me the world just like my last agency did, but just like the other agency i’m only getting 2-3 days here and there

When i do go into work the own account drivers tell me they’ve had east euro’s in all week

It was a good earner being a self employed driver for a while, but i think the days are definately numbered, which is why i going back to being a wage slave, gonna be doing euro work though so not all bad :wink:

I really am not one of those “haters” who whinges about the Eastern Europeans but I think this “home office” in whatever country could become a problem.

I’m not convinced, but I think Driver Hire may have something similar running.

A few times recently when they’ve rung me up about a job I’ve said “Ok yes I’ll take that please” and they’ve said “Right I’ll put you down but I can’t confirm it yet as we have to talk to another office first” - and then I end up not getting that job.

Being in an area where there is a significant Polish and Romanian community I’m a bit worried that it could possibly be being run from agencies in other countries - am I just being paranoid?

If people want to come to this country, live here, work here and pay their taxes then good luck to them, thats fine with me, but living here, working here and organising it all through “home base” to undercut the locals, and thus not pay your NI contributions etc simply isn’t on.

Alex

Dont worry they will be going back soon in about a year or 2 but who will do their work when they have gone national min wage?

postie:
Hi all,

Was chatting to one of the few British agency drivers at our place last night who told me that he only gets the straight 8 hour shifts now because Manpower always dish out the long shifts to the Polish drivers.

Apparently the Polish drivers are employed by a division of Manpower based in Poland and they are paid around £3 per hour less than the UK drivers. Manpower charge Royal Mail the same rate so make more profit on the deal.

He also reckons that the drivers at the Sainsburys depot in Bristol are almost all Polish now!

What hope is there for the bloody future if it continues like this!?

Whilst enjoying a pint or two last saturday night, with two of my postie driver mates, they casually let it slip, that, Mr Alan Leighton`s {TOP DOG @ the post office] wife is the BOSS @ Manpower :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Surely this stitch up is against “PLC” rules ■■?

One of these drivers paid for her own class 1 licence, she wants to transfer to the EMA trunking operation, as they are “short” of employed drivers, she was promised a transfer, BUT, on applying for the job, was informed that there were no vacancies ■■?

There are more Manpower drivers in there every shift than their own drivers…

:angry: :confused: :open_mouth: :unamused: :question: :confused:

manpower have had the contract for royal mail for years now its not just a recent thing.

the agencys are putting poles in first for more money my mate owns an agency and told me he gets more money

mally:
the agencys are putting poles in first for more money my mate owns an agency and told me he gets more money

:stuck_out_tongue:

I went to a place in Manchester a couple of months ago and could not find anyone who spoke English… :imp: :imp:

I Do not think this is true as I believe Royal Mail dictate to Manpower what the driver will be paid and iam sure that they will not allow polish drivers to be paid any less than anybody else for doing the same job.

My experiance tells me that companies prefer GOOD Brit drivers

burnie1:
I Do not think this is true as I believe Royal Mail dictate to Manpower what the driver will be paid and iam sure that they will not allow polish drivers to be paid any less than anybody else for doing the same job.

My experiance tells me that companies prefer GOOD Brit drivers.

So you’re right and everyone posting before you is wrong? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
My experience tells me you’re blowing out your back passage. :imp: :imp: :imp:

burnie1:

Replace the GOOD with CHEAP and I’d agree with you.
POLES are CHEAP so really companies dont give a ■■■■ who they employ!!!

Also the Eastern European Drivers are far less likely to ■■■■■ and moan about each other and the company they are working for and so just get on with the job.

Driver Hire (Fife) was the same, i was one of the main night trunk drivers and get 4 x 10hr shifts a week, Monday to Thursday, and the polish guys that did the same trunks also got Saturday’s on day shift…

its market forces
■■■■ happens
you have to ride the storm
survival of the fittest and all that

we aint busy at work drivers not doing full shifts

hitch:
its market forces
[zb] happens

I dont think you’ll be so blaze’ about things when you’ve got no job.!!
but then again,■■■■ happens eh. :unamused:

burnie1:

Also worth remembering that Royal Snail are one of the few companies (BT is the other one) where the union still have a lot of clout.

One word to the shop steward that agency drivers are doing the job for less than the agreed rate and there’d be hell on.

bikemonkey:

hitch:
its market forces
[zb] happens

but then again,[zb] happens eh. :unamused:

Shhh!! He’s just been sacked by a cloggy one !!! :smiley:

Mike-C:

bikemonkey:

hitch:
its market forces
[zb] happens

but then again,[zb] happens eh. :unamused:

Shhh!! He’s just been sacked by a cloggy one !!! :smiley:

Whoops :blush: sorry Hitch, Me and my big mouth!!
i’ll let you have them sour grapes then after all. :laughing: :laughing:
mum’s the word :wink:

K.Adams:
Dont worry they will be going back soon in about a year or 2 but who will do their work when they have gone national min wage?

the rumos and bulgies :unamused:

Stop the presses!

Private company in profit-making shocker!

Only in your super-soaraway-sun!