Police phone numbers

Why dont the motorway police display there telephone numbers on motorway bridges. There are many instances where hgv drivers could keep the traffic police informed of incidents if they only had a local number to call

for your local police station call 999 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think because they would prefer you use the roadside orange boxes as they connect striaght to them and they know exactly where you are so you don’t have to give a location where you ‘think’ you are :blush:

I do truck breakdowns and you would be really suprised how many drivers have not got a clue where they are, (even down to which motorway junctions they are between and which direction they are travelling in) :blush: :blush: :blush:

I understand what you are saying and it could be useful, :laughing:

but then when have the police listened to common sense? :unamused: :unamused:

“Seek (well, search) and you will find!!”

Print these and keep them in your cab. :wink:

marcustandy:
“Seek (well, search) and you will find!!”

Print these and keep them in your cab. :wink:

Except that Motorways and Major Trunk Roads are now the responsibility of the Highways Agency who, in many cases, have their own multi-agency control rooms and separate phone numbers, which are not published.

As Pete says, half the great British motoring public haven’t got a clue where they are, let alone in which direction they are going. I’ve even known some that can’t even quote the correct number for the Motorway that they are travelling on.

Frankly, if there is something ‘ongoing’ the staff are too busy to answer phone calls (however well intentioned) and are already well served by cameras and loop detection systems which iillustrate slow moving traffic on a graphic display. These sensore are also, in many cases, linked to the Variable Message Boards, and advisory speed limits and ‘Congestion’ messages are generated automatically.

Consider myself ‘told off’ then. :unamused:

marcustandy:
Consider myself ‘told off’ then. :unamused:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i witnessed an accident on the opposite carriageway of the m40 last week, between the a34 and a43 - in the roadworks, i didn’t call 999 as it was only a minor accident so i stopped at the orange phone box at the end of the road works, it rang about a dozen times before it was answered and i had to tell the highways operative where i was - now i thought they knew where you were when you picked up the phone - if so why ask me?
anyway the accident was yet another fine example professional driving from a hgv pilot - i couldn’t believe my eyes as this container lorry coming the other way actually swerved into a land rover freelander forcing the car into the cones and 2 others that had to avoid the flying cones thrown into the air as the truck and driver fleed the scene - now i don’t much care how bad the freelander driver was driving if that was the case - a professional driver has a duty to avoid collisions not create them.

johnny:
a professional driver has a duty to avoid collisions not create them.

Agreed, but doesn’t every driver, professional or not?!