Question for Highway Man and Biffo?

Hello Gents, please can you explain why there is no direct telephone number to the HATO, as many times a day i see ratchet straps and bits of metal/debris in the roads but i have to dial via the 999 system, do the Police get fed up with these types of calls, just a random question, not knocking anybody here.?
Some things like spilt diesel or petrol on roundabouts, and i think of the motorbiker, why do SOME lorry drivers have to fill to the brim of the tank, or they have left the tank cap behind at the garage/yard.Or car drivers too. :sunglasses:

Its very rare that a call requiring them would not be classed as an emergency and as the 999 system has direct links to the closest help the that would be the apropriate number to call

Thanks Rog, i find it very funny with reports of a cow/horse/dog on the road, who left that gate open then?Joking apart, it`s the swans thinking the M4 is a nice landing area that looks like a river in their eyes, and cause mayhem when they land.

Contact number for Highways here.
highways.gov.uk/about-us/contact-us/
0300 123 5000

1968kg:
0300 123 5000

^^^^this^^^
Just listen to the beginning of the recorded message, and when it asks you to say either “report” …“advisor” or “message” say REPORT and it will put you through to a call centre operator who understands what your talking about, and will take your report & location of the incident and get the ball rolling, noting the details on the nearest Km marker (blue square with number on it) will aid the wombles find the location your on about

1968kg:
0300 123 5000

Yes, phone that number, but then you’ll have a recorded message for a few seconds saying that this number is for motorway & HA trunk roads, then it says that you can report debris or speak to an advisor, you say “Report” this puts you to someone where you give the details of the debris etc, but before you do report anything, PLEASE make sure you know where the incident is, us the Markerpost, or junction numbers, but make sure you give which c/way ie northbound/ southbound.
Anything really serious, ie an RTC, the BEST method of reporting it is by the SOS phone, next best is by 999, but quote a markerpost number & direction.

If you call either 999 or the HA info line, an operator has to make a log, then send that to the HA before any warning signals can be set, and even then only 50’s can be set until it’s seen and confirmed either by a HATO or Police patrol, or by CCTV. if you call on the SOS box, the operator actually taking the call can set the signals at the same time, for lower speeds if it’s an RTC etc, also just in the area of the incident, instead of miles of signals between junctions.

MP closeup.jpg

½K MP.jpg

That’s the query answered then, thanks to everyone for being switched on bunnies!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The Highway Man:
That’s the query answered then, thanks to everyone for being switched on bunnies!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You’re clearly surplus to requirements. Bye bye. :smiling_imp: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

and your point is forum sprog? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The Highway Man:
and your point is forum sprog? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I just made my point, forum oldie. :smiley:

Let’s not start this on this forum, you know you’re older than me. :wink:

The Highway Man:
Let’s not start this on this forum, you know you’re older than me. :wink:

Er, only older by mere months. :wink:

Haven’t you HATO’S got your own forum to go to ? :smiley:

He’s not a HATO. :wink:

The Highway Man:

Ok sorry obviously not upto speed. :blush:

Toby you phone 999 if there is a ratchet ■■■■■■■■ the carriageway? The only time id phone 999 was if there was summit big like a fridge etc

oh hiya operater ermm no fire or ambulance but id like to report a fridge in lane 1 :laughing:

The Highway Man:

I’m insulted with the insinuation that I was! :laughing: :wink:

bald bloke:
Haven’t you HATO’S got your own forum to go to ? :smiley:

Yes, there is. We’re both members. :wink:

bald bloke:

The Highway Man:

Ok sorry obviously not upto speed. :blush:

Let me get you upto speed. I’m a brainless bullied at school 14 year old troll with a 'tache and homosexual tendencies. (according to your fellow truckers).

RoadsRat:

The Highway Man:

I’m insulted with the insinuation that I was! :laughing: :wink:

We wouldn’t have you! :smiley: