HGV drivers can help

First of all I apologise if this is in the wrong place, or if it sounds like I’m trying to teach Granny how to ■■■■ eggs.

If you don’t know, I work in one of the HA’s control rooms, you professional guys (& Galls) out there often are / can be a great help to us when there’s an incident, but I’d like to expand on something if I may.
On a recent shift, the police had a call from an HGV driver who’s spotted something out of the corner of his eye as he passed, in fact his was the only call on the incident, as due to the high vantage point in the cab, he saw what car drivers couldn’t. Unfortunately he’d passed the incident before realising and therefore couldn’t stop to assist, he did however call it in on 999. His best location was similar to “I joined at junction ## and had been travelling for only a couple of minutes”
From his information the police & us worked out that it would put him right between 2 particular junctions, so we all concentrated on that stretch of motorway.

The incident itself was potentially very serious.
There were 3 police patrol, 3 HATO patrols, 2 fire engines, ambulance and paramedic car, and 2 ISU’s searching the verges and banking for over 6 miles. After nothing being found the search was widened and we found the incident some 6 miles further down. How serious it was, the motorway had to be closed for approx 3 hours whilst it was dealt with.

Ok, what am I getting at you’ll ask? I’m not knocking the driver, he did his best to explain where it was, but if he’d have known about Marker-post location things may have been a lot different, so…

I’ve noted all the discussions about having to stop to use the ERT etc with 40ft artic (which is the very best way), but I can appreciate the difficulty, however, over the last year or so, large marker posts have been erected on most motorways and A roads (I’ll not say all, just in case I’m wrong!) these were initially put up so that emergency services could still read the location whilst travelling at warp speed to get to an incident.

these are located ever ½ km, and tell us exactly where the problem is.
It means that the signals are set in the correct place, and not for miles, they can be set more appropriately with something better than “Incident”. It also means that emergency services know which junction etc to approach from.
If you saw something and couldn’t stop, call it in and all you’d need to do is say that it’s just before marker post " On the M25, B c/way at marker-post 43.8" it would then be a tremendous help in attending and clearing the incident as quickly as possible.

A good post and I might help save a life someday so very worthwhile! I phoned up regarding an incident once and I really hadn’t thought to note the marker, I always do now if I see something, even if Its already being dealt with but it took that call a couple of years ago to make me think about it.

Alex

Why are they in kilometers not miles when are the other signs are in miles

Great post, it helps a lot to know the marker post number. Can i also point out that the marker post numbers are also on the smaller 1/10 marker posts for even more acurrate positioning. and if you do breakdown or have an accident, the dirction to the nearest emergency phone is on the front of the post.
HOWEVER! some years ago when my fire crew were called out to the M40 between junction 8 and 9 to a car fire, we travelled from 8 to 9, no sign, continued to junction 10, still no fire. I asked control for the source of the call, it came from the police motorway control room, and they had it on CCTV> well that was strange because at that time, the M40 didn’t have CCTV…turns out it was junction 8/9 on the M4!
another incident again from TV police, we were sent 3 miles in the wrong direction along an A road by the police, even though they had a noddy car in attendence, and unfortunately there was a truck driver trapped in his cab. luckily we got him out and he survived!
that was long before the HATO’s were patrolling, but shows what a delay can be caused by incomplete information!

fingermissing:
Why are they in kilometers not miles when are the other signs are in miles :unamused:

If you took the rolly eyes out it would be a sensible question, :unamused: :laughing:

Probably some great move by the EU to have us doing everything in K/M before we all drive on the right :open_mouth:

Just with regard to Biffo’s point, many “jobs” come in with wildly innacurate locations and even the wrong motorways, we’ve had similar to Biffo’s scenario, car gone off on roof at say jnc 11 area, turns out it was 15-14 over 10 miles away :open_mouth: , this is at 2ish in the morning in the dark and wet, needle and haystack spring to mind , so it’s got to be worth a try using the marker posts if possible :slight_smile:

And don’t forget all the Bridges/Gantries etc everything has an identifier number on it in a similar guise, if your struggling for a location when broken down or upside down in L3 :open_mouth: :grimacing:

The real Biffo:
First of all I apologise if this ~ ~ sounds like I’m trying to teach Granny how to ■■■■ eggs.

In my opinion it doesn’t and it’s a good and worthwhile post

It never hurts to remind people of things like this and may make some people aware of something they had never thought about.

Agreed!!

This is a very informative post, and let’s be fair… how many of us can honestly claim to know everything that Biffo has told us??

I’ll be honest and say that I’ve learned one or two (ok, maybe more :blush: :blush: ) things from it. :grimacing:

Thanks Biffo!! :smiley:

at the risk of being lynched :blush: :blush: what does the “B” stand for?

Cruise Control:

On my patch its BRAVO or SOUTHBOUND, ALPHA is NORTHBOUND carriageway. The M25 may be different as in clockwise or anticlockwise but i cant tell you.
I’m M6 now by the way.

Mick.

Cruise Control:

Bravo,

As they also use A for alpha :grimacing:

It’s rather than using North,south,east or west as many people have no idea which way they are going :grimacing:

Not sure if it means “back” as well :grimacing: as Alpha may mean away (from the start of the motorway ?) (Away and back from motorway start point/termini :confused: )

Anyway lets not get on to identifiers too much as you’ll start asking what J,K,L, and M mean next (Slip roads :open_mouth: ) and even 1/2 the control room don’t use/understand them terms :open_mouth: :wink:

Cruise Control:

Hi CC,

TBF, I couldn’t have answered that one either mate. :wink:

I think the idea is that you just give the info on the sign, then the rescuers know exactly where the incident is. :smiley:

Motorways going from London have the A carraigway going “away” from London, and the B going “back” to london! Can’t remember off the top of my head, what the M25 is.

“A” Alpha denotes the carriageway travelling away from the begining which is London for quite a few roads and “B” Bravo or back. Also on the “A” the off slip at any junction would be “J” Juliet or “K” Kilo for the on slip and on the “B” the off slip is the “L” and the on is “M” slip.
Hope that makes sense.

speedyguy:

fingermissing:
Why are they in kilometers not miles when are the other signs are in miles :unamused:

If you took the rolly eyes out it would be a sensible question, :unamused: :laughing:

Even with the rollyeyes, it was a sensible question :unamused: :wink:

Road distances are marked in miles in the UK and logic suggests that these signs should also be marked in miles, since mixing imperial and metric measurements when measuring the same thing is bound to lead to tears before bedtime.

Anyway, motorways have had little red, white and blue sticks telling you exactly where you are every 100 yards for donkey’s years.

Harry Monk:
Road distances are marked in miles in the UK and logic suggests that these signs should also be marked in miles, since mixing imperial and metric measurements when measuring the same thing is bound to lead to tears before bedtime.

I agree, I still can’t think in kilometres, I know what a kilometre is but have to do a rough conversion to miles for it to be meaningful :frowning:

The last time i phoned something in via 999 (lashing down,couldn’t see more than 30 yards, car speeding for conditions,disappeared down the long, steep bank just before j9 M40 s/bound and hid in the trees,not visible from road if i hadn’t of seen it) but when i quoted the number on the little post, they told me they no longer use them,just the signs posted earlier by Biffo…told them distance from the junction n they told me that it had already been reported…‘by whom’ said i, cuz there’s only me about. Anyway, Dibble came out n stopped behind to ask wot the problem was so i pointed to these 2 red lights in the trees n said it was a car…nobody had reported it…he/she could of been stuck in it for days bleeding to death until council came along 6 months later to cut the grass!!

tachograph:

Harry Monk:
I agree, I still can’t think in kilometres, I know what a kilometre is but have to do a rough conversion to miles for it to be meaningful :frowning:

It is the natural unit to use when abroad, I couldn’t think in anything other than kilometres when I pull out of Calais heading southbound but then all of the road signs are marked in kilometres. If they started marking points on French motorways with a new system which bore no relationship to the existing one then I would be confused by it and would not take the trouble to learn it.

I suppose this is just the first step in creeping metrication on our roads.

I believe the little blue and white marker posts are now 100m apart.One of my colleagues,Oscardog?,maybe able to confirm.
On the M25,the clockwise is the A c/way (J1-30) and the anti-clockwise is the B c/way.Good post by Biffo and I must agree that we get a lot of assistance from truck drivers,wether its calling in incidents or helping with rolling road blocks.It is very,very noticeable when dealing with an incident,especially live lane,the difference in standards of driving of road users on a weekday to a weekend.Give me a weekday to work on a motorway than a weekend anytime.But i’m sure most of you know this already :wink:

Harry Monk:
… I suppose this is just the first step in creeping metrication on our roads.

I thinks there’s more than a grain of truth in that HM. :smiley:

I can remember the first analogue tachos coming out for UK national work… the speedo part was dual-scale kms and mph, but the odometers were only in Kms right from day #1.

I phoned in an incident once. I was connected to a call centre in Wales had to spend time phoneticaly spelling out place names like Forgandenny and Forteviot.Great fun why cant a 999 call go to some place local?