Police use HGV to film drivers

Police are now using a HGV to catch drivers on mobiles and using lap top,an officer drives while his mate films the offender,a car behind is used to pull up the offender.West Midlands,Coventry,Shropshire,Worcestershire areas.Watch out,out there.Who knows,who is that 7.5 tonner passing you.On BBC website,on google.

Police use HGV to catch drivers

Is this just aimed at LGV drivers or all drivers?

We all know that car drivers rarely look up and the amount of unsafe stuff we see them doing from the height advantage of the truck is a real eye opener !!

I applaud this tactic IF it is being used to catch unsafe practices by ALL drivers.

I often thought it would be a good idea, considering the amount of crap driving we have to put up with, driving along the motorway edgit in a Audi or BMW doing 45mph with a phone glued to his ear, or constantly getting cut up or people doing dumb things to get past us.

Targeting HGV drivers,i think it is a knee jerk reaction to the De Silva case,where he wiped out that family,he claimed,the people carrier was already stationary when he hit it,trying to find a RDC address on his lap top,and avoid a delay to tip the orange juice from Murcia.

its amazing what you can see from a cab seat 6-9ft above the ground while going along the road.

young ladies sat in the passenger seats of cars, with their feet up on the dash, displaying their sunday best eye patch.
the woman on tuesday am, in the outside lane going M62 west putting her makeup on while going thru the road works east of leeds, & later on, the young lady :unamused: in a car stuck in the jam M62 (west) nr the little house OTP, who was sat in the passenger had her head in the lap of her BF, I guess she must`ve been tired.

The Portugese driver on the A19 NB watching movies on his laptop (thursday pm) as he over took me.

Will these Police HGV’s be forced to have the same driving periods, rest periods as us?

Police carried out a high speed chase :laughing: it took the officers 13 minutes to overtake the accused driver :stuck_out_tongue:

scottishcruiser:
Will these Police HGV’s be forced to have the same driving periods, rest periods as us?

No - the police are exempt

ROG:

scottishcruiser:

So if they’re exempt from that, does it mean they’ll be exempt from having a HGV licence too?

smurfworth:

ROG:

scottishcruiser:

So if they’re exempt from that, does it mean they’ll be exempt from having a HGV licence too?

NO - except in special circumstances, the police driver must have a current licence for the vehicle being driven

This has been in operation over here in Germany for quite
a few years now they use, mobile-caravans , coaches etc to
catch offenders, who ever and what ever they drive be it a car
bus, lorry van etc., ask those who visit Germany regularly.

At an average of ten miles per gallon,it must cost to run up and down a motorway all day.

toby1234abc:
At an average of ten miles per gallon,it must cost to run up and down a motorway all day.

Ah - I have an idea …
Use one of those that have ramps so they can confiscate the cars of offending drivers - two jobs in one and some of the cost gained back :bulb:

another silly idea - Make back of truck into mobile magistrates court complete with magistrate - see them and fine them in a space of minutes :bulb: :laughing: :laughing:

i will really [zb] them off. let them overtake, then speed up and keep them in the middle lane. this will really annoy them, they will need to take some paid leave, see a shrink, then retire with a £200000 payout.

there we go, no more stalinist coppers.

I’ll bet they have a limiter exemption as well

ROG:
I’ll bet they have a limiter exemption as well

so have i.

ok, not exactly a legal exemption, more of an illegal one. but lifes too short for little things like, law, order, rules, and regs. :laughing:

Coppers in Willi Betz colours.

ROG:

scottishcruiser:

Which exemption or derogation is used to exempt the police from the drivers hours regulations ?

tachograph:

ROG:

scottishcruiser:

Which exemption or derogation is used to exempt the police from the drivers hours regulations ?

the usuall one. “we are the police, we can do what we want.”

tachograph:

ROG:

scottishcruiser:

GV262-02

Vehicles owned or hired without a driver by the Armed Forces, civil defence services, fire services and forces responsible for maintaining public order, when the carriage is undertaken as a consequence of the tasks assigned to these services and is under their control.