traffic police

at the A64/A1 roundabout this morning, I was coming from Aberford and just as I,m at the island there was a dark blue volvo parked on the white hatchings thing in the centre of the road, Looks down and there is the bobby sat in the car texting on his mobile, I,m sat there for 5 minutes before he actually realises I,m there and can see that he is using his phone,

I just wish i had my camera with me as I think this is taking the ■■■■ a little, ok if he wanted to use his phone why not park in layby ect but to be sat on the centre of the road under the pretence that he is monitoring traffic, especially as for the 5 mins I was sat there waiting to get out he had no idea what was happening around him!

I’ll bet he was texting - The truck driver near me is taking too long to negotiate this roundabout :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Unfortunately you are correct, he would be using the pretext that he is monitoring traffic, hence the reason he’ll get away with it.

My brother-in-law is a traffic cop in Northumbria, and I was at my sisters business address yesterday, when he walked in, and after about 2-3 minutes, he was having a rather irrelevant conversation on the radio with another colleague of his about a woman that had pranged her car. His colleague was making mock crying noises over the radio, basically taking the ■■■■ out of the woman, and I was in full earshot of this.

Nice to see they were doing something constructive.

Ken.

your prob right rog :smiley:

I did stay there a little longer then I should have just to see how long it took him to realise I was actually watching him,

but i best watch my back now in case he is reading this

They are only human, just like us doing a job…a difficult one at that. I’m not defending anyone but they do get ridiculed quite a lot and some times they are in a no win situation. So he was texting while parked up :open_mouth: I’ve seen more lorry drivers texting on roundabouts than police texting supposedly watching traffic.

I’ve had a bad day and wasn’t going to post this but changed my mind before I hit the back button… :unamused:

I just wonder what actions would have been taken against me if the roles were reversed? he was parked in what i would consider to be an unsafe place plus the fact he was a copper people who were coming around the island were breaking the moment they saw him thinking speed trap ect, again poss dangerous situation, the fact he was totally unaware of what was happening around him, using a mobile phone whilst in control of vehicle ok he was parked but engine was running and it was in the middle of a road not a layby ect,

i seen a lot of people use a mobile whilst driving and no doubt you guys have

dle1uk:
he was parked in what i would consider to be an unsafe place

dle1uk:
there was a dark blue volvo parked on the white hatchings thing in the centre of the road,

Would need to be there to see whether I would consider it ‘unsafe’

dle1uk:
at the A64/A1 roundabout this morning

dle1uk:
they saw him thinking speed trap ect,

Speeding on a roundabout? - unlikely - looking for general bad driving a possibility

dle1uk:
the fact he was totally unaware of what was happening around him, using a mobile phone whilst in control of vehicle ok he was parked but engine was running and it was in the middle of a road not a layby ect,

just goes to show what a stupid way this law is done. He is not unsafe in doing it but if on handsfree and driving then it’s legal - DAFT!!

I think they are ok, on the whole ,They have a job to do and when I have been pulled I have found them to be polite and understanding

fuse:
I think they are ok, on the whole ,They have a job to do and when I have been pulled I have found them to be polite and understanding

Agree totally and wouldn’t swap jobs, I haven’t the temprement for a start

ROG:
Would need to be there to see whether I would consider it ‘unsafe’

Looking at the road layout on Google Earth, there appears to be a large, wide, hatched area at the end of a minor road coming from the village of Aberford, just as it joins the roundabout.

the area is quite wide and would appear from a map to be safe and under normal conditions would be safe, but it as been an accident blackspot over the years due to some drivers approaching too fast and losing control on the bend more or less where the car was parked… which is why I have said it was in my opinion unsafe,

I agree that they have a job to do ect and it may be diificult however I do not agree with the fact that this officer would have stopped and issued fines, points ect to other drivers for doing exactly what he is doing, he probably would have attended incidents where use of a mobile phone was the cause ect, in a way he should know better then the rest of us! If i had got stopped I would have probably been reported and risked losing my lgv entitlement for a while, plus the fact there were at least 3 laybys within a couple of minutes…

Rick B:
They are only human, just like us doing a job…a difficult one at that. I’m not defending anyone but they do get ridiculed quite a lot and some times they are in a no win situation. So he was texting while parked up :open_mouth: I’ve seen more lorry drivers texting on roundabouts than police texting supposedly watching traffic.

I’ve had a bad day and wasn’t going to post this but changed my mind before I hit the back button… :unamused:

i agree they do a very difficult job and for little reward. ive seen boat loads of lorry drivers on their mobile phones at the moment, but it seems ok to use it as long as you seem to lean over to your passenger side so nobody can see the phone at thier ear :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

so wot if he was texting while PARKED no law broken there was there, is he not human like the rest of us with a life away from the job, if had been driving at the time then i could understand your grip, but he was PARKED, how many times have you read a text while driving, ( and don’t say never ) and then answered it … :grimacing: :grimacing:

i had a British Transport Police van nearly take me out because of his careless driving in ediburgh i was on the A1 southbound at an area called milton links i was in the right hand lane while he was in the left came upto the roundabout i had a feeling he was going to do a u-turn round the roundabout so i slowed down and guess wat the idiot did no indicators or blue lights just turned right and went all the way round the roundabout back towards edinburgh i had my ex and her child in the car imagine the consequences of this coppers driving if i had never predicted that happening

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

dle1uk:
the area is quite wide and would appear from a map to be safe and under normal conditions would be safe, but it as been an accident blackspot over the years due to some drivers approaching too fast and losing control on the bend more or less where the car was parked… which is why I have said it was in my opinion unsafe,

Yes i can see that could happen there, but i think the likelyhood of anyone entering that bend so fast as to lose control whilst they can clearly see a traffic car parked there, is most unlikely.

If you feel very strongly about it, as you seem to, you could call in at the local nick in that area & make a complaint, though they may see it as rather petty, they will have to act on it.

Colin12:
i had a British Transport Police van nearly take me out because of his careless driving in ediburgh i was on the A1 southbound at an area called milton links i was in the right hand lane while he was in the left came upto the roundabout i had a feeling he was going to do a u-turn round the roundabout so i slowed down and guess wat the idiot did no indicators or blue lights just turned right and went all the way round the roundabout back towards edinburgh i had my ex and her child in the car imagine the consequences of this coppers driving if i had never predicted that happening

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Had a similar incident on the A4 from Thatcham on the roundabout for the A340 for Tidmarsh, traffic car came round the roundabout in the lane for the A4 but came all the way round for the 340 with no indication, luckily i managed to pull up otherwise i woudve been my fault for pulling out in front of him :unamused:

Other times i see police cars with defective lights etc yet we can get pulled for these, the way i see it the police should be setting an example to the general public so their cars shouldnt have defects, they should use the appropriate signals at roundabouts and they shouldnt be using their phones while driving if its illegal for the public to do so.

The officer was texting his HQ to say he was being harassed by a nosey lorry driver! :smiley: