Come on.. own up

Who’s having a tough time today putting their phone down with all the dibble about?

Selfish ■■■■■

Not me, just another day on the road :sunglasses:

I know someone who should . Silly tart in a mini yakking away drove onto a queue of static traffic and blocked a roundabout oblivious to officer dibble in the car behind her . Very satisfying watching the blue lights go on .

SuperMultiBlue:
Who’s having a tough time today putting their phone down with all the dibble about?

Selfish [zb]

Haven’t heard the word ‘dibble’ since I was a kid. A proper Manc word.

Is it just coincidence that at the time of year when crime and anti-social behaviour, and burglary in particular is at it’s highest, the police concentrate on motoring offences ?

Of course it’s not coincidence, why go after thieves and hooligans when motorists will come to you :unamused:

Saw a couple of police cars on the M6 around 2 or 3am this morning checking every vehicle they went past for mobile phone use. Slowed down and had a good look up into the cab from their car.

Im glad they’re doing it, see way too many people messing around with phones.

‘Crackdown’ innit…

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37968722

rigsby:
I know someone who should . Silly tart in a mini yakking away drove onto a queue of static traffic and blocked a roundabout oblivious to officer dibble in the car behind her . Very satisfying watching the blue lights go on .

Probably be given an ‘awareness course’ which will be in one ear, out the other.

SuperMultiBlue:

rigsby:

Probably be given an ‘awareness course’ which will be in one ear, out the other.

Some mumours from government & police forces that these awareness courses for using your phone are being scrapped. Instead, zero tolerance with an on the spot fine & 6 points will be adopted.

rob22888:

SuperMultiBlue:

rigsby:

Some mumours from government & police forces that these awareness courses for using your phone are being scrapped. Instead, zero tolerance with an on the spot fine & 6 points will be adopted.

We don’t have “on the spot fines” for ordinary UK motorists.

rigsby:

muppet in a 4x4 cruising along M62 east through the road works 40mph in the middle lane of a completly empty motorway that busy pratling away he didnt notice the fully marked up plod beemer coming out of birch blue lights on and follow me up the slip road ta

Tony Saprano:

SuperMultiBlue:

Selfish [zb]

Really? I only ever heard officer dibble being mentioned a lot lol.

IMG_0037.JPG

Latique:

rigsby:

muppet in a 4x4 cruising along M62 east through the road works 40mph in the middle lane of a completly empty motorway that busy pratling away he didnt notice the fully marked up plod beemer coming out of birch blue lights on and follow me up the slip road ta

Good good :slight_smile:

Whilst I totally agree that there needs to be a crackdown on mobile phone use behind the wheel, I do believe it’s time to remove motoring offences from national crime statistics. Maybe then the ob will put the same effort into crime detection and prevention as they do into motoring offences.

rob22888:

SuperMultiBlue:

rigsby:

It’s already happened in some areas, Essex Police have already stopped offering awareness courses and I think others have followed in the last few days.
I don’t think it’s just the talking on the phone that’s a problem, but looking at the screen to dial a number or worse those that check texts and social media. These are probably harder to spot from a car as they keep the phone in their lap, but it’s obvious from the a truck.

On a slightly related point, they were showing film of drivers on the phone on the news yesterday and there was a van driver who had his sat nav stuck bang in the middle of the screen above the steering wheel, made me wonder how the hell he sees what’s in front of him. :open_mouth:

weeto:

Tony Saprano:

SuperMultiBlue:

Selfish [zb]

Really? I only ever heard officer dibble being mentioned a lot lol.

Ha. TC was a Manc. I’d have thought his accent would’ve given it away. :laughing:

tachograph:
Is it just coincidence that at the time of year when crime and anti-social behaviour, and burglary in particular is at it’s highest, the police concentrate on motoring offences ?

Of course it’s not coincidence, why go after thieves and hooligans when motorists will come to you :unamused:

But do thieves, hooligans and other low level crimes that we would all like the police to deal with result in the same level of carnage, deaths and serious injuries as the traffic offences that somehow seem less important.

A change with mobile phone use that I may of noticed - I very rarely see a driver with a phone held to their lug hole when there is a passenger in the vehicle now (apart from mums taking children to school). May be it is the bgining of a social acceptance that it is wrong?

muckles:
On a slightly related point, they were showing film of drivers on the phone on the news yesterday and there was a van driver who had his sat nav stuck bang in the middle of the screen above the steering wheel, made me wonder how the hell he sees what’s in front of him. :open_mouth:

I saw a car with a sat-nav in that position a few weeks ago, I fail to see how it could not partially block the drivers view :confused:

So where does the problem lie with this exactly.
Is it driving with one hand?
I often drive with one hand, is that even illegal now ■■

Is it the distraction it causes?
I have often been engrossed in a radio discussion on football or something, so much so I have missed my junction, I have done the same on hands free phones.

Is it lack of concentration again, but this time due to using your brain and hands in conjunction while checking social media etc.
Yeh, just like dashboard computers in modern trucks, for instance…I now have to scroll through my new Merc’s dasboard crap to switch on my night driving light ffs.(the older model had a switch…obviously too straight forward :unamused: )

I aint condoning phone use whilst driving before you all start :unamused: , so let’s get that out of the way.

My point is it aint just phones that cause these types of potentially dangerous distractions, whilst drivi g, so let’s knock the knee jerk reactions on the head, and keep things in perspective.

Just to reiterate for the hard of thinking and band wagon jumpers on here, I use a bluetooth hands free kit, never text/drive, or check any social media sites when driving. :bulb:

robroy:

I have often been engrossed in a radio discussion on football or something, so much so I have missed my junction, I have done the same on hands free phones.

Is it lack of concentration again, but this time due to using your brain and hands in conjunction while checking social media etc.
Yeh, just like dashboard computers in modern trucks, for instance…I now have to scroll through my new Merc’s dasboard crap to switch on my night driving light ffs.(the older model had a switch…obviously too straight forward :unamused: )

I aint condoning phone use whilst driving before you all start :unamused: , so let’s get that out of the way.

My point is it aint just phones that cause these types of potentially dangerous distractions, whilst drivi g, so let’s knock the knee jerk reactions on the head, and keep things in perspective.

Just to reiterate for the hard of thinking and band wagon jumpers on here, I use a bluetooth hands free kit, never text/drive, or check any social media sites when driving. :bulb:

I agree there are many other distractions inside and outside a vehicle, I’ve seen people so engrossed in conversation with their passenger they have no idea what going on around them and neither does the passenger. Or those that are trying to deal with unruly children while driving. The lorry driver who crashed on the A34 was changing music, it happened to be on his phone, but years ago he could have been looking through cassettes or CD’s with the same results.

But my main beef with handheld phones are those texting and looking at social media, as that does seem to take their eyes and concentration off the road for long periods of time.

robroy:

The only having one hand on the wheel is a complete misnomer, if we go back to he times of lorries with narrow power bands and manual boxes then their would be undulating and twisty roads where one hand would rarely leave the gear stick. So clearly driving with one hand is not the problem, so it must be the distraction of the conversation (which I’m not entirely convinced of myself) and if it is the distraction of the conversation why is hands free OK?

Meanwhile they are now designing multi media screens into the dash of vehicles that clearly take your eyes from the road ahead (something that a phone call doesnt)

As Charles Dickens identified hundreds of years ago “The law is such an ■■■”