Highways Agency tip off

Just wondered if any of you lot were travelling northbound on the A1 near buckden at about 2-230pm this afternoon, as on the buckden roundabout i noticed a lump of concrete across both lanes and vehicles were swerving round it :exclamation: :open_mouth: would of been nasty had a biker hit it :open_mouth:

so phoned for the first time that HA hot line and expained what i had seen and he said he would “put it out there” presuming they would of had to breifly stop traffic to remove it, would the police then be called? just wanted to know really if my phone call had been wasted or whether it was actuallty acted upon

cheers
CC

Well done that man :smiley:

Be pleased in the knowledge that You have done good :sunglasses:

Your act has more than most likely saved some poor soul from a form of grief if the offending item was removed quick enough.

At least i can rest peacefully in the knowledge i wont be hitting that bit of debris in my car or on my Motorbike … Cheers dude . :slight_smile:

Check that movie from 7:58 :smiley: :smiley:

Maybe it was this guy :smiley:

Translation:
The taxi driver: It was a miracle that I managed to stop! That was a certain death (if we hit it)
The sign on the concrete element says: 8 TONS
The trucker: ■■■■, I lost it from my back again… The road is bumpy… My friends, help me to load it back onto the lorry…
The taxi driver: Are you out of your mind, or you are looking for a stupid? Call yourself a crane!
The trucker: Calm down, my friend! It’s made of rubber!
The passenger: Move on, boy, help them… (than he makes a series of encouraging sounds…)
The trucker (while loading): It’s all about that we would not run empty… The militia (the plot is happening in communist Poland) is giving tickets for these who do not take return loads… This brick is nothing, my brother in law was given an inflatable elephant…

Btw: This can be interesting for some of you who are keen to see how the Polish roads looked in 1980’s…

Cruise Control:
Just wondered if any of you lot were travelling northbound on the A1 near buckden at about 2-230pm this afternoon, as on the buckden roundabout i noticed a lump of concrete across both lanes and vehicles were swerving round it :exclamation: :open_mouth: would of been nasty had a biker hit it :open_mouth:

so phoned for the first time that HA hot line and expained what i had seen and he said he would “put it out there” presuming they would of had to breifly stop traffic to remove it, would the police then be called? just wanted to know really if my phone call had been wasted or whether it was actuallty acted upon

cheers
CC

What’s that number? I saw once a dead animal (deer or cow) lying in the middle of the motorway… It was quite big, so hitting it with a car or motorbike could be dangerous, I called the police but I guess HATO could be better solution (except that this case was in Scotland)…

08457 504030 is the old number but will still work. The new number is 0300 123 5000.

If you ever have an issue, give it a call and we will help.

I’d say if there were a risk of accident and injury then 999 is the number (or stop and use the roadside emergency 'phone). Ask for police then the local plod control can immediately tell the motorway control. I did this when there was a truck tyre carcass in lane 2 of the M11 and the Essex plod control room took it seriously and said thank you.

There was this post;

a while back by a HATO about how use the marker posts along motorways

Biscuits:
(or stop and use the roadside emergency 'phone). Ask for police then the local plod control can immediately tell the motorway control.

You know that the emergency roadside phones go to the Highways Agency and not the Police dont you. Since us Wombles are on the road we are very often there long before the Police so its best to call us.

Big Jase:

Biscuits:
(or stop and use the roadside emergency 'phone). Ask for police then the local plod control can immediately tell the motorway control.

You know that the emergency roadside phones go to the Highways Agency and not the Police dont you. Since us Wombles are on the road we are very often there long before the Police so its best to call us.

If I called 999 wouldn’t they then contact you as a first resort anyway?

jimti:

Big Jase:

If I called 999 wouldn’t they then contact you as a first resort anyway?

Unfortunately, the police will often take vague details of the incident (when you dial 999, you aren’t connected to somebody with local knowledge of the motorway network) and then pass the vague description to H.A. several minutes after the initial 999 call was made. The H.A. then have to try and work out roughly where the incident might be. Simplest (and fastest) way is to use the roadside SOS phone. But, if you prefer to dial 999, really emphasise the marker-post location of the incident the the Police! They may not know what it means, but the H.A. do.

BravoGolfCharlie:

jimti:

Big Jase:
But, if you prefer to dial 999, really emphasise the marker-post location of the incident to the Police! They may not know what it means, but the H.A. do.

So why doesnt someone brief the Call handlers to what it does mean then :question: :question:

Thats assuming the incident your reporting is on a motorway or dual carriageway.

trux:
So why doesnt someone brief the Call handlers to what it does mean then :question: :question:

Thats assuming the incident your reporting is on a motorway or dual carriageway.

In my case the Essex police telephone person knew exactyly what I was talking about with the marker post so at least some of them are briefed. Pulling over on a busy M11 with all the cars drivers seeming intent on killing themselves already, then trying to bellow into the roadside phone whilst wondering if some numpty was going to go pilling into the back of my trailer seemed a lot more time consuming and dangerous than tapping three digits on the cab phone.

As long as you do something, it will get to us. By ringing the SOS phones the HATOs get much quicker and accurate information about the problem and can then pass it to Police (eg if an accident), but if you’re not happy about stopping on the shelf then dial either the 999 or HA direct number.

Most 999 calls, although vague, will still get passed to us and the HA and Police will send units to it (of course, this all depends on the type of incident and who is closer. Police may say that they dont have anyone close, and therefore leave it to the HA. Likewise, a Police unit may be a lot closer than a HATO sometimes).