POA Question

Please look at this scenario :

I started work at 6.00am, drove for 5 mins then did other work until 06.55- then drove a further 5 mins, parked up by 0700 until 0750 with the tacho mode switch on POA.
I then had a few local drops which would not take my driving time above 4 hrs.

At what time would I have to take a break and for how long ?

matt01:
Please look at this scenario :

I started work at 6.00am, drove for 5 mins then did other work until 06.55- then drove a further 5 mins, parked up by 0700 until 0750 with the tacho mode switch on POA.
I then had a few local drops which would not take my driving time above 4 hrs.

At what time would I have to take a break and for how long ?

12.50 then you need your half hour break , that 6 hr rule is a load of [zb],

I never normally use POA as I just put it on break, but have been told I’ve got to use it - hence why i’m not sure about it !!

But if I’ve booked POA from 0700 until 0750 does that not mean that my next break or POA would need to be taken 6 hrs later at 1350hrs ?

matt01:
I never normally use POA as I just put it on break, but have been told I’ve got to use it - hence why i’m not sure about it !!

But if I’ve booked POA from 0700 until 0750 does that not mean that my next break or POA would need to be taken 6 hrs later at 1350hrs ?

you add the poa to your start time seeing you started at 6 add the 50 minutes poa to that and your half hour break is due at 12.50, you do not have to legally book poa it is at the descretion of the driver , thats what we were told at wincanton anyway.

You have delayed the need for a break by 50 mins. So 1250 is right.
You only need to take a 15 minute break at that point not 30.

I understand now how to work it out - but I thought POA could count as break ?

I did those hours on Friday and was told this morning that I was incorrect, as I did not take my break until 1330, obviously meaning that I was over my hours…!!

Thanks

Poa doesn’t count as work so in a sense time stands still when you’re on poa, you need a break at 12.50 because that’s 6 hrs and 50 mins into your day but 50 mins of that you wasn’t working.

If it qualifies as poa then It’s good enough for break so stick it on that instead of poa.

Thanks for your help !!

I’ll stick with putting it on break !!!

Think of POA as a pause button

matt01:

Why do they want you to book POA when the requirements are stricter than for break ?

For POA you’re supposed to know how long you will be waiting but that’s not necessary if you book it as break break.

I’ve got no idea why all of a sudden they want POA booked - I think its a case of having a new driver trainer - and a new brush sweeps clean ect…!!

In one ear and out of the other springs to mind …

matt01:
I’ve got no idea why all of a sudden they want POA booked - I think its a case of having a new driver trainer - and a new brush sweeps clean ect…!!

Just tell them what I told my last tm when I was told to use poa instead of break. Nobody told me how long I would be so using poa was illegal and I am not prepared to break the law for you

OVLOV JAY:

matt01:

Just tell them what I told my last tm when I was told to use poa instead of break. Nobody told me how long I would be so using poa was illegal and I am not prepared to break the law for you

You dont have to be told how long POA is going to be, you can work it out yourself, for instance if you arrive at a factory who dont start until 8am and you arrive at 7.15, then you can book 45 minutes POA or Break. neither matters, but if you have already driven over say, 3 hours, take it as break, then you are good to go as soon as you are tipped.

likewise if you have been to that drop before and they kept you waiting over 3 hours because of a lorry in front of you, take it as POA or as an extended rest period, it may come in handy later that day for a split rest

What you are saying, whilst correct by the definition of the wtd, is ok in principal, but in reality, how many times do you go to a regular drop where you are always x amount of time? For instance, I’ve been in and out of Tesco Thurrock within half hour as I have been stuck there over 3. I just think poa is an over complication. Stick it on break as the tacho comes higher than the wtd

OVLOV JAY:
What you are saying, whilst correct by the definition of the wtd, is ok in principal, but in reality, how many times do you go to a regular drop where you are always x amount of time? For instance, I’ve been in and out of Tesco Thurrock within half hour as I have been stuck there over 3. I just think poa is an over complication. Stick it on break as the tacho comes higher than the wtd

I agree with your last sentence, but for those whose lord and masters demand it. If you were delayed 3 hours last time you were there, stick it on POA, even if they get him tipped an hour quicker, the two hours still count as POA in the same way that the goods in oik tells you will be an hour drive, then tips you within 40 minutes, you have still got 40 minutes POA