Quick question on POA

So I’ve been working for a company only started a few weeks ago and I’ve been over my 48 hour average working time. I want to use more POA to lower my hours, any tips on house to use it usefully. I do multi stores delivery. Thank you

Ilxsmithy123:
So I’ve been working for a company only started a few weeks ago and I’ve been over my 48 hour average working time. I want to use more POA to lower my hours, any tips on house to use it usefully. I do multi stores delivery. Thank you

If you get paid for breaks use break instead of POA, break doesn’t count towards your working time and is less problematic than POA.

If you must use POA these points apply:

• You should know in advance how long you will be waiting.
  • You should be able to leave the workstation.

Be aware that digital tachographs count POA as break and will wrongly reset the driving time on the tachograph display if you accumulate 45 minutes of POA/Break, however the driving time is not legally reset so if you use POA keep a note of your driving time and work it out yourself rather than relying on the tachograph, a few people have got infringements for going over the 4.5 hours driving time without a break because of the tachograph wrongly resetting their driving time on the tachograph display screen.

If you’re doing multi-drop there’s not going to be a lot of opportunity to use POA - you’re either driving or working (unloading etc.) or on break. The only real chance is when a customer says “we’ll be with you in 20 mins. drive” - you are not working but not on break so POA could apply.

Simple. Don’t use poa. Break if you’re not working or driving. Even a break of 6 minutes or so brings your working time down

alterego:
Even a break of 6 minutes or so brings your working time down

Do 6 minute breaks even count? They certainly don’t count as a break for the EU Drivers Hours regs.

Conor:

alterego:

Do 6 minute breaks even count? They certainly don’t count as a break for the EU Drivers Hours regs.

A break doesnt have to be 15/30/45. As you say it won’t count as a EU or WTD break but it’s still six minutes of non working time.

toonsy:

Conor:

alterego:

A break doesnt have to be 15/30/45. As you say it won’t count as a EU or WTD break but it’s still six minutes of non working time.

WHS - Only time recorded as “Other Work” or “Driving” counts as “Working time” for the purposes of the WTD.