Please help me if you can!

I know this has been spoken about before on here but here’s my story.

I’ve sourced an ideal T-reg DAF 95XF 6x2 that I want to use on the show circuit. Everything is fine apart from the insurance, I’ve phoned numerous companies who say they don’t deal with HGV’s for private use, and its also to new to be classed as a classic. It’ll obviously be taxed as a private HGV but every company says this doesn’t effect insurance and I would have to pay insurance the same as every other haulier on the road. Is there anyone who I can contact who would deal with this type of thing or anyway round it?

T reg does seem a tad new for shows.
As far as I see it you have 2 choices-
1- Nip into Smiths and read the classic commercial mags for insurers
2- If you have a friendly boss ask him to put it on his insurance as and when you need it on the road in return for a few beer vouchers.

my scania 113 is insured with Cherished car insurance telephone no 01252713148
im only allowed to use it for private use and shows limited mileage

Wasn’t there once an insurance company or broker with their own forum on TrucknetUK where they would answer questions about insurance ?

It’s not here now but I’m sure there was one, and I seem to remember someone asking pretty much the same question and was told by whoever it was that was sponsoring that forum to contact them as they could help.

Contact Rikki he will know who it was, assuming it was here that I saw it of course but I’m sure it was :wink:)

I found a brokers called ADRIAN FLUX very helpful, they insure lot’s of odd ball stuff like kit car’s etc, tel 0844 888 5544 email adrianflux.co.uk Had a similar problem insureing a y reg globetrotter, these people were brilliant, from what i have learn’t for vehicle to come under classic insurance it has to be 15 years or older

Hi,

Try looking at this site and following the Insurance link.

hcvs.co.uk/

You need to join the Society to have access to the insurance, but the broker is really helpful.

I’ve just insured a N reg Volvo FH16 with them to restore and show, dispite it not being under 20 years old and not being considered a classic.

Hope this help.

Regards

Ryan

Ok thanks guys, I’ll try these ones out hopefully with a bit of success.

I use these for my 1982 ERF:

nfumutual.co.uk/

Very cheap and a flexible policy. Don’t know about lorry age limits though.

GCR2ERF:

nfumutual.co.uk/

hiya …GCR2ERF.spot on NFU my daf is £137 per year and £10 i think for any add ons. but they,re very helpful.
my question to you is what rallys are you going to do. They question my D (1986) DAF somtimes about the age.
and they wont have forign trucks on the limestone run at all.a pal of mine was turned away from gaydon two years
ago with a C series erf on a E plate.
John

Has anyone get any recommendations for breakdown cover please?

Would this include tyre repairs or would you need something like an ATS account?

Regards

Ryan

Y111RDF:
Has anyone get any recommendations for breakdown cover please?

Would this include tyre repairs or would you need something like an ATS account?

Regards

Ryan

Good question that Y111RDF, I’ve been thinking that myself !! There is a company called AUTOHOME offering a classic vehicle rescue service 0800 371280 advertiseing in the classic and vintage commercials mag

Hiya…you can try this its what i have just in case…National breakdown…WWW.nationalbreakdown.com
0845 275 1999…You just register for free then if you have a problem its IICR £80 for the first hour and £50
each hour after and they will take you where you request. Theres a company in cheshire if you call them on the
motorway with a broken down truck it,ll cost you £600 to get pulled off to their parking area.I think nowadays
the police get you moved in 40 mins if you,ve got no backup of your own.I feel better with the above service
it makes you feel more at ease
John

3300John:

GCR2ERF:

nfumutual.co.uk/

hiya …GCR2ERF.spot on NFU my daf is £137 per year and £10 i think for any add ons. but they,re very helpful.
my question to you is what rallys are you going to do. They question my D (1986) DAF somtimes about the age.
and they wont have forign trucks on the limestone run at all.a pal of mine was turned away from gaydon two years
ago with a C series erf on a E plate.
John

Hi John, I’ve not done any rallies since 2004 (since our daughter was born and we moved into a house that - still - needs doing up), but from 2000 - 2004 when I was out and about I did:

Gaydon (3 times)
The C&VC magazine show/auction at Castle Donington
Chrich Tramway museum
Lincolnshire Commercial Vehicle Museum open days (Easter & November)
First show was in 2000 near Banbury, can’t remember the place or organisers I’m afraid
Midland Railway at Butterley

I live in Annesley near Mansfield, Notts so my main concern was local-ish events to keep down the cost of diesel.

Hope this helps, shame some organisers use restrictive entry criteria, but I used to think that it was their loss.

Tony

Hiya tony…i think i,am quite lucky,i live nr chester so iv,e got Llandudno 30 miles away theres the anglsey show 50 miles
kelsall 10 miles smallwood and sandbach 30 miles the leyland musium 50 miles notrh rode twice 40 miles astle park 35 miles
trentham gardens and theres quite afew abit further a field but still within 60 miles drive. i,d like to do the limestone run
maybe another truck will have to be purchased.
John