Private HGVs

A question for you the private (i.e. non-commercial) HGV owners out there.

If you don’t mind me being nosey (and feel free not to answer if you do!), who do you insure your truck with, and how much does it cost?

My 1977 Peterbilt is insured through a broker called Barry Grainger

It is insured with Allianz Cornhill as a classic vehicle and costs £110.00 per year. I’m sure that they might be able to help even if your vehicle is not a classic, give them a go, thier phone number is 0870 1128103.

That’s shinier than a shiny thing. More than a touch of elbow grease went into making it look that good.

Your not kidding, in fact so much elbow grease that I have run out and my elbows have seized solid! :laughing:

Thanks for that Tramper. Do you have any special conditions on the policy (limited mileage, no trailers, etc.)?

The vehicle I have in mind certainly wouldn’t qualify as a “classic” - “heap” would probably be more appropriate :slight_smile:

£110 is significantly less than the cheapest quote I’ve had for my car insurance, so I’m guessing that I’d probably be paying significantly more than you…

PS: Impressively shiny :wink:

The policy carries a MAX 5000 miles per year clause and an excess of £100.
There is no mention of trailers, so as they have not been officially excluded, I work on the assumptrion that as the vehicle was built to be used in conjunction with a Semi Trailer, the use of one will be covered (Grey area really). The policy also has the truck covered at an agreed value, so that should it be written off they can’t give me £20 for it as a '77 truck.
I understand my situation is coinsiderably different to yours, but the attitude of Barry Grainger Insurance was such that I believe they may be in a position to help you.

I insure mine with NFU ( National Farmers Union) £97 per year for a 1988 F12, the only restriction is no drivers under 25.

whilst we’re on the subject of private HGV usage, i see that the exemption from tachograph law for is about to to be withdrawn.

I had’nt heard about this. Any chance of a link to the info?

In cacthing up with a months worth of post which arrived whilst i was away, i have read it somewhere, but now can’t find it :frowning:

However, here is quite a useful link about the changes due on April 11.

Transport Office

(somebody will be along soon to shorten that i hope)

OP apologies for going off topic
[/img]

that short enough ? :wink: Denis F