Private HGV help

This seems to be one of them things in life that’s a right pain in the arse. Requiring a lot more fannying around than first thought. I’ve been a long time snooper of this site since I was a tadpole. Well, saying that it’s still early days when it comes to my life on the road. Class 2 ,5 year
back at 21, followed by class 1 shortly after turning 23. A classic case involving following suit of the Old man’s footsteps, I’m sure the “inspiration” for a lot of you guys too. But I digress, the query. My Dad’s bought himself an old (62) reg Dad XF 95. With the intention of domestic, pleasure and showing. Thing is, we’re struggling with getting the bugger insured. Especially with myself on it being 27. Looks like being above 25 is still classed as young. Due to £2700 being the best quotation yet(via Adrian flux) In a nutshell, can anyone point me and my Dad in the right direction when it comes to owning a private HGV for personal use? The unit will literally be doing sub 1500 miles per year. Finding it a right bugger to insure because it’s a whole new world to us and not sure if the insurers are having our pants down! This is the second time my Dad’s bought a unit for showing after being let down the first time round, having to sell a Foden alpha during COVID times. Every process that involved giving it the greenlight was dragged out and never came to fruition. Any light on this seemingly grey area of private HGVs would be much appreciated! Cheers.

Have you tried the forum sponsor, at the top of the page?

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=170631

Maybe worth picking up a copy of Classic and Vintage Commercials or Heritage Commercials. Likely to find ads in those from insurers used to dealing with private HGV.

Classic insurance normally starts for vehicles around 15 yrs old .

Rigton Insurance who I believe may have changed their name, is one favoured by the old bus owners. There will be an annual mileage limitation.

I’ve got private HGV insurance for personal use through Anthony D Evans. It’s a 7.5 ton 1999 Daf. I’ve had it 6 years now, the first year I got royally ripped off by Adrian Flux, they have a reputation for being excessively expensive.

Who else have you tried to insure with? I’ll get the names of some more insurers for you to ask if it helps?

Some others to try, I can’t vouch for them, I’ve just seen them recommended by others on Facebook group for 7.5 ton truck owners for camper conversions.

AIB
Stevenage Insurance
Lancaster Insurance
A plan
GT Insurance
Brentacre
Footman James
Sterling
Staveley head
Aston Lark

I would try Anthony D Evans first though, I’m really impressed with their customer service, reputation and my policy with them, as are many others i know who insure with them.

anthonydevans.co.uk/

Picture is the screenshot from their website

Try Anthony D Evans - 02476 595812, or Reis - 0115 965 1040

Dave

My best mate has bought an 18 tonne MAN with a HIAB for a personal project. He had a bit of a mare getting insurance, primarily due to his age (he’s in his 70’s) but eventually found cover via the NFU.